How come no 1/35 scale muscle cars?

Maybe we can work together on a future 1/35 Chevy truck 3D print project in the future. :smiley:

2 Likes

The way I see it, the manufacturers recognised the possibility of WW2-era European cars and trucks as either pressed into service or a diorama decoration. But modern US cars don’t have those same factors that could drive sales, so they are not being tooled up in 1:35. 4x4s on the other hand are more likely to be tooled as they appear in modern conflicts in the SandBox. It’s all about market research into what will sell enough to pay off the tooling and turn a profit. Tigers and Panthers will ALWAYS sell, but a decent muscle car like a Charger or Challenger? Not so much…

3 Likes

What is (perhaps) interesting about this accident is the the tank driver was facing the right way to see the car.

2 Likes

I’m in favor of 1/35 modern cars that could reasonably be used with/as military vehicles. Like, a modern Chevy Suburban for VIP’s in dangerous places, or taxis like that one Mercedes sedan. Anything that can be turned into a technical too.

1 Like

Another area to explore is 1/32 or 1/35 die-cast models. They can be torn apart and rebuit/detailed as needed. I have done it a few times as well.

For the above Suburban idea, I used a die-cast Cadillac Escalade, totally rebuilt into a Suburban for my Iraq VIP Protective Detail dio.

I totally stripped it down and started over with it.

More here: Iraq VIP Protective Detail Dio

I did the same with a die-cast Chevy Blazer to make an M1009 CUCV.

More here: M1009 CUCV Build - Armor/AFV / Modern - KitMaker Network

4 Likes

I am laughing thinking about Cadillacs new commercial. "Cadillac the new UAV and an Escalade comes over some rubble with a soccer mom driving. The doors fly open and a special forces team jumps out to assault a building.

2 Likes

Don’t most auto manufacturers demand royalties or require licensing if facsimile of their product is being sold? That would add an extra barrier and additional cost to niche product.

Technical pickup trucks are probably the most logical starting point for 1/35 civilian vehicles because they can overlap the military AFV modelers and the regular automotive modeler. However, many manufacturers may not like the idea of licensing their popular pick up trucks in a military scale. Especially if it’s going to be used as model for a techinal terrorists commonly use.

As for other potential markets, one might sell a few 1/35 cars to the 1/43 die cast car collectors on occasion if the 1/35 kits are builder friendly.

2 Likes

Yes to the first question, which leads to the second part. It is interesting to note that was the case w/the 1/35 Meng Ford F350 kit. It was originally supposed to be an Iraqi private security vehicle, similar to below.

However, Ford wouldn’t allow it to be as such and we ended up w/a standard F350 model, fully licensed by Ford (hence the Ford logo on the boxtop).

Not too hard to convert it into a private security vehicle though. Not mine, but a nice rendition.

Also of note, Mengs other Technical Pick-Ups have no Toyota logos or any licensing on them. They all are just listed as Pick Ups even though they are both Toyotas.

A Hilux…

…and a Land Cruiser.

5 Likes

I’m not quite sure how you arrived at that timeline. I assisted Meng with that project, along with the T-10M, M1A2, and many others. I sent them photos of the F350 along with the truck’s history that I wrote for the instructions years before the 1/35 kit came out. I believe the 1/25 version preceded the 1/35 by two years.

However, later on I did send them these photos and more - taken at our COP in Ra’biah. That’s the Cougar in the background that got me started with this whole thing when Cromwell Models asked for measurements of it.

1 Like

I remember reading several years ago that either NHRA or IHRA would pack up and haul their teams to Da Nang air base and hold competitions there for the troops, don’t know if they went to Tan San Nhut AB though. Personally, I’d love to see any MOPAR muscle car in 1:35 and if necessary, a couple Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles to give the Scat Pack something to beat lol. Just funnin’ don’t come a gunnin’. :smile:

Cajun :crocodile:

2 Likes

Doesn’t a car manufacturer demand royalties only if their company name, or logo, appears on the model? Which is why some “Jeep” kits are marketed as “1/4 ton truck” - no brand name…no royalty.
:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I am talking about. The Meng F350 has the Ford logo and is fully licensed. The Meng Toyota pickups are not, no logo or name on them.

They can also sue/demand royalties if the item is clearly their product when one sees it.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, similar discussion just yesterday.
The kit does not mention the name of the Crane manufacturer on the box, but does include a part in the kit, with the name and logo. Did they piull a fast one?

2 Likes

But isn’t a Jeep (logo, or not) instantly recognizable? Chrysler (Stellantis) could demand royalties.
:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

Not for a military vehicle. If it were a modern, civilian Jeep, yes. For WWII-era jeep, no. Also, note that Italeri shows the trademarked Jeep grill w/out slats to further themselves from the kit being a Jeep as well.

2 Likes

It’s not about the price. These old 1/32 kits are so hard to find now that people are charging ridiculous prices for them - with shipping well over $50. Currently one guy is selling one for $28.95. I guess he hasn’t gotten the memo…

They build into great burnt ot vehicles, with a little work. On this build I had to add a motor and frame from an additional 1/32 Snap-Tite NASCAR kit. Trust me, that’s way pricier. Those kits are even more expensive.

Plus I like to do my own damage and burning out. That’s half the fun of modeling. That and - I don’t want to look at someone else’s work and say, huh, that one looks just like mine.
3D modeling is great - I just like to use it for things I don’t have the time or patience to do myself. Still doing basic Fusion360 stuff…

There is an abundance of 1/32 kits out there though:

I was doing a lot of technicals for a guy, and bought up every kit I could find at the time. These are still mine though for whatever I decide to do with them:

You’re in luck, if you can find one of these. I tried to buy them all up:

It’s probably my favorite of all the 1/32 scale pickups, although you have to open the bed and scratch the interior of the bed with it. There were a lot of these step sides in Iraq.

Another fairly ubiquitous vehicle was a Toyota sedan:

I know I have more stashed in various corners around the house.
The problem with them is the scale. As we saw in that video above, the difference in scale between 1/24 and 1/25 is minimal. But the difference between 1/32 and 1/35 is nearly 10%. Ten percent!
Yes, I used my burnt out vehicle in a diorama with an IDF tank in it, but I like to do forced perspective dioramas and put some space between the vehicles so the difference isn’t as apparent.
Stand alone they’re fine, but together with other scales I think forced perspective is the way to go.
I’m attempting a shadow box forced perspective using 1/35 figures HO (1/87) scale buildings, and a 1/144 scale airplane. I’m hoping it’ll turn out as I’ve sure put a lot of time into it so far.
As for my current 1/72 diorama, I’m still balking at using 1/76 items, even though they’re easier to find for what I need. That said, I’ve seen some fine forced perspective dioramas using 1/72, 176, and 1/87 scale items.

4 Likes

so what to keep us from putting Toyota logos or the name Toyota on the back of Mengs Hilux pickup?

1 Like

Nothing. Once you buy it you can do as you wish, as long as it’s for your build and you’re not selling Toyota logos. Although there is a way around that as well. If you were to say, produce a PE set that had two halves of a particular logo, that would complete the logo when joined, you could get away with it. Some years ago some resin tires were bing offered on which the lettering was slightly altered. All you had to do was shave off part of one of the letters to get the correct maker. I wish I could remember which brand.

There was also a time when airplane kit makers would do the same thing with swastika decals. Maybe they still do, I haven’t built any WWII German planes in a while.

2 Likes

I remember there never used to be a licencing thing from manufactures

1 Like

These parts are included in Voyager Models “Modern Pick-up with Rocket Launcher” PE set #35532

H.P.

1 Like