How many builds at once?

Right now, I have five projects going. I have three tanks, and two jets on the block. It drives my wife crazy, but it’s what I’ve always done. I have no common sense.

1 Like

Well the 6 is now down to 2. A Phantom which is almost done for the Phantom 60 campaign and an Italeri opel Maultier which will be the base a base for the 3 Toncrane Im getting for the Miniart build later in Dec.
I am definitely going to try and keep it to 2 dedicated kits on the go at one time, but I will be doing the CVRT Striker as an ongoing build thread over probably a 12 month period, as this will be modelled on my old wagon so I want to make sure I get every detail right on it.

Pues en estos momentos y a bote pronto unos 4. Un M270 en conversión a la versión a1, un Bradley para situarlo en un Reforguer, un remolque de MMK m1112, un m981 en Europa.

I have 6 on going, 3 are awaiting 3d printed stuff to come out shortly, two awaiting painting, the last one is painting and building at same time, not normal for me. 5 self queens.

Earlier this year, I think I had 4 or 5 projects at once. I think that there was a car and 4 airplanes. I was desperately trying to meet a bunch of campaign deadlines. Learned a lesson, trying to take on fewer at one time. :wave:

The one thing about COVID is that it keeps me at home and have more time for modelling.

But unfortunately, I now also work at home leading to excessive long working hours compensating for the above.

Anyway, Lightning ios ready for airbrushing, and the 6 fouga’s are advancing

I have nearly always kept it to one at a time - if I lose interest it gets put away , usually forever . I may actually finish a motorcycle kit I have recently discovered which got put away a long , long time ago - 20 + years perhaps ?
That being said , when the modeling mojo returned to me a short while ago after a two year hiatus (the building of a real 1/1 motorcycle took all my time & attention- ) I built two aircraft at the same time because they used the same colors which I had on hand but this is the only time I have had more than one going concurrently.

Much out of the norm for me, right now there are eight in process at once. Seven are stuck in varies stages of paint waiting for the weather to warm up so the camo layer can be airbrushed. One is on the bench for assembly.

I much prefer one or two.

I broke my new years resolution about 2 weeks ago when I had 3 on the go which I’m still plodding away at…
Hopefully the antiques 88mm should be finished in the next couple of days…then I will get the Miniart crane done and the Maultier finished for that one. Then I will really try to keep it at 2… And no more …(doomed to failure lol)

I think I’m going to change tactics this coming new year. I will only work on one sci-fi and one shelf queen at a time. I have so many dang shelf queens and I still love them all. I’ve also learned that I love working on sci-fi so this strategy might work for me.
I have an accreditation survey to pass in late 2021 or early 2022 plus all the COVID responses (the pandemic is not over). I’m going to need something to do that I enjoy. I don’t want to stress about finishings 10 campaigns.
Take care and stay safe friends,
Don “Lakota”

2 Likes

I wish you success with this years endeavours, both modelling and professional

Maybe I have old man ADD but I currently have 1/2 dozen waiting weathering and stowage, 2 modern AFV’s with base paint but still need addt paint, weathering and stowage. One 1/24th Chevy Impala for the wife that I need to finish painting and detailing (from the tv show Supernatural, she’s a big fan). I have a M4A3 mostly done with mods that I am debating on if to redo some parts with a PE upgrade kit on hand or crack on. Just opened up last night a Revell 1/48th B-17G for the heck of it (got it for $9.00 USD at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago, actually bought 2) these are going to be ceiling hangers and pretty straight up builds. Undoubtly I will be diving into one of the 1/2 dozen new kits I just picked up. Have Tamiya’s M-42 Duster that brings back memories that I may just do as a straight up no thrills build over the holiday thats staring at me… I’m like a dog with a new bone in a yard full of squirrels. One day I’ll do a 8 hour weathering/finishing sessions and gets this under control. Still have 3 odd ball planes in various state of paint, wasnt happy with the kits, more exercises in assembly, airbrushing etc but I’ll get them passable and they’ll get to hanging around the ceiling too. So all said and done maybe a dozen with well over 1/2 just waiting on me to do final touches and 1/2 still requiring some decent time to wrap up.

Generally have 3 kits going I actively work on. That doesn’t count the numerous kits I started and shelved for one reason or another. I usually start a kit with a diorama in mind and if something stalls the progress I put it aside ‘for a later date’ Probably why I now have all these small vignette I’m able to finish up because all I have to do is finish painting the pieces and make a base.

Cheers,
C.

I have 6 current builds:

1. Academy 1/35 Veitnam war M113, with alot of interior detailing.

2. Italeri 1/35 Sherman Calliope, with a lot of scratch building and detailing.
    ( This build is on hold till I can find a set of DS Sherman tracks with duckbills.)

3. RFM M1A2 Full interior, With CROW and TWMP

4. AFV Club UN Scimitar.

5. Revell 1/72 Platinum edition Gato class submarine, with a lot of scratch building and detailing.

6. Revell 1/72 S-100, with Eduard PE.

So yeah I have a couple big builds going… :sweat_smile:

Yeah I almost pull the trigger on that 48th b17 a week ago. Instead picked up the Academy Memphis they had their instead.

I have 8 going on right now. And probably will be starting 4 more tomorrow I have a feeling.

But I think I will have two more done this weekend.

I have 8 going on right now. And probably will be starting 4 more tomorrow I have a feeling.

Same I will probably start at least 2 tomorrow… luckily my Abrams is almost done.

My current “on the bench” count is a bit influenced by the fact that I am building a demo team (7 airplanes) , next to a series of other planes. In my more optimisitc days I count these 7 for only one as it is a single project. Seems totally valid, isn’t it?

Revell 1/72 USAF F4 Phantom “ThunderBirds” kit introduced me to the idea multiple models builds at the same time. As a ten years old, really had a blast with this and multiple builds:

images

1 Like

Gosh - you guys just aren’t trying hard enough - I’ve got more than two dozen builds in all stages of incompleteness! (At least half are stalled in paint/decals/weathering…) I get bored, or run into something tricky, or start another Campaign, or…or…

But they’ll all get finished some day! My record for a completed build is 20 years! (OK, it did spend 15 of them in storage…)

3 Likes

I have a T34 1942 in front of me. Three dioramas nearing completion. One small winter vignette awaiting figures. A Ju87 about 90% complete.
This doesn’t count the models started and stopped due to some issue (loss of interest, awaiting parts/decals, painted but not happy with outcome, etc. etc.)

Cheers,
C.
EDIT: Just found a couple of ancient Airfix Ju87’s in a box on the shelve. Add them to what I’m working on now.