Hurricane Henri Bearing Down

I know this is not an armor subject, but all my friends are here so I thought to post it here. I live in Naugatuck, Connecticut, USA. In exactly 36 hours, a Category 1 hurricane will strike our state coastline from the Atlantic Ocean directly in the middle of the coast and tear directly through the middle of the state, enveloping all of Connecticut. We’re pretty small. The epicenter will be 30 miles from my home for much of the hurricane. They estimate that 50% of residents will lose power for as long as ten days or more, so if I disappear from these forums, don’t worry, I just don’t have electricity/internet. Being a Fire Police Captain, I also have to go out at the storm’s worst and work rescuing stranded motorists and others in distress. So, I’m going to be “In the sh*t” as they say for a few days. Connecticut has not had a hurricane warning in 30 years, so this might be epic. I’m all stocked with food, propane, generator, water, board games, and a non-cable TV. Hopefully I’ll be back here sooner rather than later, with a roof still over my head!

5 Likes

Stay safe! Hopefully it isn’t too bad and we have you back soon

1 Like

Was driving to the coast today and hit a remnant of a band. Saw at least two cars in the median when it was coming down hard. Folks driving too fast for the conditions. We get hit by a few every year but thought it was strange to hear 30 yrs on the news. Stay safe, hopefully it will be minor event for your area.

2 Likes

I’m in Port Washington NY. We lose internet on sunny days. Good luck to us both!

1 Like

Take care and stay safe!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m in Medford LI and came back from food shopping (it was crazy) an hour ago and glad I got there when I did. Just gonna have to batten down the hatches and ride it out……

2 Likes

A guy I know in Suffolk said he was going to cover his windows with plywood… but he didn’t have a spare $10k lying around.

2 Likes

Best of luck! Hopefully the brunt of it will miss you.

Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

Must be one of those big houses on the water lol

2 Likes

Yes and wood has gotten expensive lately too

2 Likes

I bought one 8ft length of 3/8 x 1 1/2 molding at ACE hardware yesterday. I needed it to repair, reenforce the bottom of a low end cabinet drawer. $15.50 + tax !!!

1 Like

Hurricane Henri track has shifted 20 miles west and will now make landfall in New Haven CT, Coming right up my valley and directly for my house. I am not looking forward to this. This is going to be one hell of a storm.

Yup. Bought some base moldings and casings for my boys room which is only 12x12 and it was ridiculous.

2 Likes

Not good Matt- what category is it ??

1 Like

Thank you Colin!

1 Like

I’m watching weather underground on TV. It just got upgraded to cat 1

1 Like

Stay safe buddy and hopefully it doesn’t impact as much as feared. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Just drove all over Medford to find propane for the bbq. Finally found one on the other side of town….

1 Like

Everybody should be prepared with the basics. Never know when there will be a problem. Power outage, unexpected disaster or just a family need. If you can, have enough around to see you through at least two weeks. Then set up to get by for three months. Then longer if possible.

Matthew, hope you and your teams can stay safe, and people will behave and listen. Especially hope everyone has a warm, dry home to go to when it is over.

1 Like

Storm is set to hit here Sunday 1200 noon EDT so we’re doing our prep work. Pantry is full, generator is ready with lots of propane to run it, chainsaws are sharpened and full of gas, and everything outside is stored away.
We live on a hill and have a high foundation so our basement never floods. My stash is safe.
Hey, a man has to have his priorities.

7 Likes