IDF Diorama

Nice to see it going forward .The chassis looks good

1 Like

Maybe he saw my dio? @bwilt Do you mean this one?

This picture is a panorama view, it’s not curved :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Thats not the one I meant but thats a very nice dioramama! I like the waterfountains, they look good!

1 Like

Those chassis’s are looking nice and detailed Bert. The black primer does suit
that chassis. Well done :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!
Little update:

3 Likes

Your suggestions stuck in my head… and now that I am building that M3 I notice the doors have a very nice detailing on the inside, I could leave them opened: colonne has halted, people stepped out of their vehicles, drivers hanging half out of their vehicles… hmmmm, new thoughts…

3 Likes

Added the PE that comes with the kit:

And this kit has lots and lots of parts, enough to make almost another kit… there are 3 sets of side armour plates for the rear section… but no matter which set of plates you use, you have to remove a whole part of it… why??? Why not add a set of plates that you don’t have to alter…

7 Likes

Starting to look like a halftrack:

8 Likes

I have the Tamiya M3 with PE in a cupboard that I keep putting off doing … I wouldnt mind doing that as an IDF one … I wonder how different they were ??

1 Like

But the pace of construction! Wow !!

1 Like

It looks very nice especially the PE work

1 Like

Love your construction on this , beautiful work and very cool subject .
Overall , how’s the kit ?

1 Like

Lookin’ great so far. I have always thought the Israeli vehicles looked cool. Specially the mods they made to the American ones.
J

1 Like

There were plenty of IDF specific versions with all sorts of armament and equipment, but probably the 0.3 cal MG installed right of the driver was the most common addition (many, but by no means all IDF Halftracks had them), as well as the stowage racks on both sides.

2 Likes

Thanks @ReluctantRenegade , I see if I can find out a bit more about the additional storage racks :+1::+1:

2 Likes

John, I have read quite a bit on M3’s, accoriding to some sites there were about 70 different versions, and all kinds of adjustments…
It seems the IDF used a lot of different versions, some where “painted in red and shipped to Israel as agricultural machines” … I have 3 Dragon kits, one of them is the M16, as I found pictures of that version being used in IDF as well. They used them untl well in the 80’s, changing all kinds of parts all of the time.
The M16 kit is not specific IDF version, so has no luggage racks, but the two other Dragon kits are (according to the boxes) IDF versions, they have the luggage racks in folded and unfolded positions, if you want I can send you a set of racks, as I also have stowage sets coming, which include the racks.

1 Like

They are full of plastic, loads and loads of parts, the kit has parts for 3 versions, fit is good, not that much cleaning up to do, but you just have to be reading the instructions very carefully, they are not the best… partnumbers are wrong, what seems you have to place left will turn out to be only fitting on the right side… installing the dashboard is skipped, you only see that on a picture as an installed part inthe next step, not great showing exactly how to place certain parts… sometimes it is better to wait with a certain part untill you have placed the next 2 or 3 parts, because only then the position of that first part becomes clear… like the drive shaft for the winch… only once you have installed the winch you can install the driveshaft so that it is in line…

But for the rest, great kit!

And regarding the M16, nice film of a working version of the guns:

2 Likes

That would be appreciated Bert as I am going to do it as an IDF version now after looking at loads of images of them. It just seems a bit more interesting doing it as an IDF one compared to all the normal US M3s…

1 Like

Johnny, I have a bunch you might find useful. Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

2 Likes