Inaugural Railway Campaign

Is Fred okay? What’s with the piece of scrap foam picture?

A ha! So that’s what is under it.

Crazy ballasters! Go easy on the flow setting!

I like oddly shaped bases for dioramas. This one turned out a bit more…er, ah, ‘unique’…than intended. The surface is meant to be asymmetric but the inverse edge bevels are a testimony to my rushing to complete this before the end of the campaign (I had intended to get home a few hours sooner than I did but too many ‘honey-do’s’.), and I erred in measuring the width for the roadbed.

The track is slightly askew on the surface, as intended; 1/72 is wider than the HO cork roadbed I used so I had to space it. Used plugs on each end but covered the gap with tape.

The grass is Model Scene Grass-Flock held with NOCH Landscaping Glue. The ballast is asphalt I scooped up after a deluge deposited a pile of it on the road at the end of my in-law’s driveway. I sized it through a window screen. Because I only had about 15 minutes left before the end of the campaign, I did not mix up a glue/alcohol/water ballast mixture. I used wife’s hairspray. Doesn’t that roadbed look silky, luxurious and full-bodied??

6 Likes