Inaugural Railway Campaign

Hi all,

A bit of time since I last posted update images, but taking images of each thin layer of clear gloss varnish would have been very boring for anyone following this build.

Initially I had intended to take the more straightforward route of still water, but decided that it’s not like a canal where the water often appears flat and still, so have gone down the path of trying to show slightly windswept choppy water.

I’d almost got to the point where the main body of water is completed, really only the breaking waves against the wall and boat needing to be created (see images below).

However, I’m ashamed to say, after this morning’s dark news, that the shell of the boat is from zvezda, therefore, along with its fellow putin products, it needs removing and binning.

Not sure how easy it’ll be to remove, nor what damage it might cause to surrounding areas, or how I even go about replacing it with another vessel…finding a suitable boat for this setting will be the death of me yet, :thinking: :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

It might seem a petty gesture to some, but I’ll not be knowingly buying any putin products in the future, my initial step in supporting sanctions…as they say ‘every journey starts with a single step’.

G, :beer:

5 Likes

Don’t bin them. Just because Putin is a turd, it doesn’t mean everything Russian is. Besides, you bought it before the war started, didn’t you?

3 Likes

To each their own and that is ok.

I don’t know how the leadership of the company feels but I am sure it’s just some dudes trying to make a living with their gifts. No different in any other country and they are at the whims of that leadership.

3 Likes

Shame putin doesn’t share that sentiment, :disappointed:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

Don’t be to quick to rip it all out G. The water effect you have achieved looks superb… I agree with the sentiment, but I think you’ll spoil the whole thing … obviously your call mate…
That choppy effect you’ve managed in the water is really first class … It brings the whole Dio together and really tells the story :+1::+1:

1 Like

G, your water is beautifully done. It is inspirational. I hope you’ll tell us how you’d made it.

If you do decide to remove the boat, I actually have a couple of ideas.

1. I’ve seen water scenes that comprised of multiple layers poured on. You could simply add another layer on top of what you have there, and that would make the boat look like it sank. A fitting analogy for what the Evil Empire 2.0 is doing.

2. If you do fully exorcise the boat, still maybe an extra layer can hide any blemish, esp. if you put a big glob of flotsom or jetsam on it. Here’s a company that I’ve used some of their products. It’s h o but maybe the size will work for your purposes.

Rusty Rail HO Boats

Then, there’s always Artitec and they’re beautiful, albeit pricey, ships and boats.

I just had another idea. Lindbergh and I think Revell produced a harbor tugboat that is close to OO scale.

I look forward to what you decide.

Everyone has to follow their own conscience, but please-DON’T. The work you have put into that boat makes it more yours than theirs, from my point of view. Please remember while he enjoys considerable popular support a lot of Russians detest Putin, don’t condemn a nation because of it’s leader and the small faction that maintain him in power. In this world it doesn’t pay to look too closely if one has a tender conscience, there is little to be had that has no trace of a taint of some sort. But if you wreck your work you will have given Putin another little victory; art destroyed, a vision of of part of the endless struggle for freedom defaced, a noble and inspiring work diminished.

Best Wishes,

M

3 Likes

Very well put :+1:

2 Likes

Another vote against binning the boat or any other Russian manufacturer’s product, it used to be called cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face. All Russian products in our stashes were produced during the time that Ukraine’s sovereign border was (in theory anyway) respected – so in fact rather an argument to preserve those products, not destroy them :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Gentlemen, we still have them month-and-a-half to go. Glad about that because I haven’t have time to even think about an award badge yet. Do any of you have an idea? I’ve got an idea but I’m always happy for somebody to come along with something better. I was going to depict tracks with celebratory bunting over them.

I still have intention to start another kit for this. But the next three to four weeks are probably going to be ultra busy.

I am hoping that I will be able to get my entry finished. Real life tends to get in the way of things with me at times. Going to try my best to complete it.

Randy

Hey G, Hope all is ok. I was looking at this early and not sure if it would fit in with the waterside dimensions ? Thats if you have decided to pull out the row boat you were pondering about ?

Lobster Boat | Model Shipwrights

1 Like

Understood Thanhansi. A harsh taskmaster real life can be. Hang tough.

Hi all,

Not posted in here for a short while, but after some deliberation I took onboard the comments of those I respect and decided to keep the modified Zvezda boat as it was purchased pre-conflict.

So spent the last few days finishing off the water, I wanted it to look slightly choppy and churned, I’ve also added some debris to give it a ‘dirty’ feel, :roll_eyes:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

8 Likes

Ugh, I cannot look at your work G. I keep getting seasick!

Seriously, that really does look like choppy water to me. I can feel the fiberglass hull whacking along the sides of those swells( are little waves like that called swells?)

1 Like

Great work… The boat warrant a helmsman, as a boat that doesn’t move would not create a wake. Specially a rowing boat, which is way to light…

1 Like

Once again G… It’s been nailed… And welcome back from the battery recharge.
The water is perfect for a tide coming in or going out, the movement you have given it is superb mate. It really cannot be faulted. The few bits of floaty wood debris are a good idea.
Is the boat going to be tied up ? Maybe some old bouys along side on the harbour wall side to prevent damage or whatever they used back then for that job.
It was a nice reminder to see the cobbles and the top of the quayside… It has come together fantastically… This is up there with your best, if not the new No1.
Well done…and it’s not all there yet … Which is nice to think what it’s going to be like once finished :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Nailed it! Looks windy and COLD there in your diorama.

1 Like

Still in it with the Shunting Loco https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/shunting-loco/9871/47

Today I’m fitting the front and rear pilots. They will be glued on after painting.

4 Likes

K.Sp.1, amazing work.

There is some disconnect between my PC and accessing the forms via my phone. I replied to this post days ago but the reply did not post.

Such happens a lot. :rage:

1 Like