Infantry tank, A11 Matilda MkIV. Another 3D printing adventure

Hollowed out the hull and added some lightening holes to the sponsons. This reduces the amount of resin required for the print and also helps drain uncured resin from the model.

2 Likes

Craig, please please tell me you are going to make these available for purchase. This tank is just too cool to keep it to yourself. Why not make some money off of us in the process?

4 Likes

Ah. Yes. I WANT to sell them. Selling physical models presents more problems than Iā€™m willing to deal with. Which leave two options.

Shapeways. But I suspect this would be a very expensive model to print in any sort of resolution that a scale modeler would be satisfied with. Iā€™m think probably hundreds of dollars.

So, Sell the files so folks can use their own printers/borrow a friends/ try to explain to wife what that enormous appliance sized box is in the garage. I just need to sort out the best way of making that happen. I also have the Turtle files I can sell.

Might just set a price and work through messages for the short term. Stay tuned.

anyhoo, final test run for the sponson bits:

ooooh. way better. Yup yup.

Mind you, this is so tiny I canā€™t see the difference with my old eyes.

Anyhoo, last lot is cooked. Going to put the Hull in the machine overnight.

3 Likes

WOW! MUCH nicer. The one on the right is crisp. The one on the left looks like Eastern Express.

1 Like

The rest of the part seems fine, itā€™s really just the grill that benefited. Pretty sure most of this model will be fine at the slightly lower resolution. Weā€™ll see in the morning when the hull test is doneā€¦

1 Like

I humbly beg to disagree with you Craig. Look at your photo magnified. The bolts are sharper, the 3 panels edges are sharper, and the little raised details under the grill are more defined. It is a very noticeable difference.

Nah. itā€™s not that bad. The lower res one also has a rattle can applied undercoat which didnā€™t get into all the cracks. So they look somewhat worse than they really are. Still, the Grill itself is WAAAAAY better.

New bunch oā€™ bits to clean up. Now with sexier sponson with speed holes.

Hull still has a few hours left to print. Iā€™m doing it as one piece, but Iā€™ve decided to split it in two for smaller printers. -technically- it will print on a smaller one, but it would be super squeezy.

Details like periscopes, headlights, tools and exhaust will be separate parts.

1 Like

Hey, you know that moment when one of your suicidaly inclined model bits does a full pike into the salivating jaws of the Carpet Monster, but you think to yourself, ā€œitā€™s a reasonably large bit, I think I can rescue it before itā€™s consumed foreverā€ but the bit says ā€œNEVER!!!ā€ and throws itself under the wheel on your chair?

Yeah, well that.

Sigh.

In other News, Hull happened.

Now if youā€™ll excuse me, I need to print another road wheel.

4 Likes

Itā€™s really looking the business. Nice.

Mal

Just spotted this thread. OUTSTANDING!!! Love the design. Dave

1 Like

Having a play with the turret. Given this is a mid/late war design, I felt the commander could use a better view. Which has the added bonus knock on effect of giving him a bit more room. Everybody wins.

Might start painting some tracks todayā€¦

5 Likes

Well, looks like Iā€™m going to have a go at printing and selling kits. Those of you watching my Bushnellā€™s Turtle thread will be aware of this. A lower cost to run printer has been purchased and trials have begun.

Iā€™ve no idea what this little guy is going to be worth yet, Iā€™m going to get the turtle up and running first.

Question: Iā€™m sure somebody mentioned earlier, Can anyone help me with Photo etch? Iā€™d like somebody preferably in Australia (mostly because I donā€™t want to hold everything up with postageā€¦
Even if itā€™s just for a small batch to tide me over until I can organize a better source. Nothing major, just a few cogs and a couple of cranks for the 1:32 Turtle. I can print them in resin, but removing them from the supports is fraught with potential sadness. Etch would be better.

I absolutely donā€™t want to do it myself.

1 Like

lol.

canā€™t believe this workedā€¦

scaled it down to 1/72 and threw it in the printer. Just three parts.

Now, there was warpage and distortion (mostly hidden) and the bottom of the hull is appalling (also not appearing in this filmā€¦) but Iā€™m thinking that with some tweaks and some actual care and attention this could be a thing.

I now return you to our scheduled broadcastā€¦

6 Likes

Oh man I forgot about this thing! Keep the resin flowing, this monstrosity needs to see daylight.

1 Like

1:72 was never part of the plan, but this is so damn cute Iā€™m gonna run with it. Doing a second, more considered print now.

1:35 is still a thing though.

Clementine Mk II 1:72 v2.1. Now with more headlights. Hull is now two parts, which creates an awkward join, but makes for less distortion in the print.

So this whole thing is now 4 partsā€¦

3 Likes

After a few measurements and comparing the model to a panzer II J, I made an executive decision and increased the depth of the hull. It would have been WAY too squishy in there, even for a British vehicle.

3 Likes

Ok this is really Kool! Definitely interested in the 1/35th version. My resolution for 2022 is to buy only one kit this yearā€¦and this is at the top of the list.

ASig00

1 Like

Nifty, Iā€™ll give a shout out here when they are available.

Added some cupola details. Hatch will be a separate part, but only the most basic of turret interior.

ā€¦now Iā€™m thinking I wanna try sticking a couple of hispano 20mm in thereā€¦ (no room for polsten ammo feedsā€¦ Hispano can be belt fed).

3 Likes