I've lost that lovin feeling . . or, The thrill is gone

My model building enthusiasm seems to ebb and flow and I’m aggravated that I’m currently drifting farther into the abyss. Looking back at this year’s completed kits is even more discourageing considering I’ve only managed to get one kit off the bench and on the table . . .

Hobby Fan’s M116 was one of the more costly model kits I’d ever purchased but it’s such a cool looking little “tank” I had to have it.
It wasn’t a hard build necessarily but it did present some challengeing issues that any cast resin kit will pose. As far as historical accuracy the hard shell fiberglass “bed cap” probably didn’t see service in the 'Nam but I gave in to “artistic liscense” (I’ll do that, it’s one of my idiosyncrasies you’ll learn to accept), speaking of the bed cap, yes it’s not sitting squarely on the hull sides, I left it detached for access to the bed, in case I ever find photos of the litter rack assembly.

This mess . .

. . . Verlinden’s M578 conversion is where I eventually skidded to a stop. I really like this peice of equipment, to me it represents the new age AFV with it’s angular profile. I have argued and wrestled with this build to the point of absolute dread of trying to finish it.
This, in it’s most base essence is the point of this topic post, how to resurrect my intrest in completeing this kit.
I’d like to hear some thoughts from those of you that maintain a healthy appreciation and disposition for the hobby.
There are some much desired new offerings for the Nam battlefield that I want to get but I won’t add to my stash without a reasonable justification to spend the cash.

Cajun :crocodile:

8 Likes

Went through a similar period about 10 years ago. Dealing with sick/elderly family members, kids in high school then college and all that goes with that. Takes a toll. Mostly mental, you are ok physically but the energy and motivation just are not there. Too many thing on your mind, not enough time in the day to do the things that need to be done. When yo do have some time you realize that you just need to chill/relax. I wanted to build but knew that under the circumstances I just wouldn’t have the focus to sit at the workbench. I would occasionally go down and sit and look at my stuff but no real serious effort at building. Once life got out of the way, kids graduated, sick family members passed. Life became more normal, less stressful. Return to building on a regular basis became natural. Now retired and spend most of my day building.

6 Likes

Hey Terry let’s open an MM clinic – Mojo-less Model-makers, I’ve been the same as you for over a year now with no real answers. I thought it was just temporary burn-out after nearly 4 years straight on one (still unfinished) project, but seems to be more of A Thing. Not interested in trying something completely different either.

Yet I’m loving the masses of great stuff in all these forums, so it’s not that I’ve lost interest in The Hobby…just my hobby. Can’t blame it on any Life stresses (that I’m aware of, anyway) either, so hopefully some qualified MM doctors will check into this clinic…ah, Dr Armorsmith I presume…

5 Likes

I am a Dr. just not that kind. :grin: :grin:

I think that anyone that is involved in a hobby for any length of time tends to loose focus/interest/motivation. How long it lasts depends on the individual. One of the big keys for me was a change in modeling interest. Since my early teens I built WWII, mostly German but also my share of US and USSR. One day I decided I had built enough Tigers, Panthers, and Stugs. Packed up all my unbuilt WWII kits and books and sent them off to a kid to was just getting into the hobby. Now I build Cold War, IDF, Nam era and modern stuff. No lack of subjects and it made the hobby new again.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get that way too… It comes and goes.
As for your problem with that M578, what I do is put it back in the box, put it on the back shelf, and work on something else for a while. A simpl(er) kit that I can finish and feel a sense of accomplishment from. Then maybe build something else, or go back and look at it with a different perspective. That usually works wonders. If not, then it goes back in the box for a little longer.
Ken

2 Likes

I truly believe that every hobbyist goes through that phase, in fact many times. There are so many variables in life, one would be shocked if you didn’t. Try and look at it in this view, just think how awesome it will be when you finally get re-energized and sit down to a build… Time away from anything is necessary.
Merry Christmas

2 Likes

Two things I’ve found to help in the past:

1. Put everything away and don’t touch it for several months. Try six months if you can. Even if you still have interest in seeing other people’s work on this site, don’t. Try to find something else you’ve never done or never thought of doing…something random…like read all Shakespeare’s plays. Grow a bonsai. Then come back to it.

2. Buy a very simple, cheap kit in your genre and just build it OOB in about a week.

They’re two very opposite approaches, but I’ve found both to work.

2 Likes

Wow! Four doctors on deck within a couple of hours, thanks guys maybe there’s hope for our respective Health systems yet? In seeking a diagnosis remember I said I couldn’t even summon any interest in trying a different model/project either.

One piece of possible relevance I forgot to mention was that in the process of a comprehensive health check-up recently, the only thing they could find wrong with me was a vitamin B12 deficiency, subterranean compared to normal. I know, I should be so lucky - but symptoms are fatigue, lethargy etc – none of which I actually felt, and after 3 shots to boost it I didn’t notice a blind bit of difference either

1 Like

I’ll use one of my favorite shooting quotes for your situation:

Speed is fine. Accuracy is finer.

I you only build one kit, but it’s the absolute best you can do, that’s better than cranking out five or six dogs in the same amount of time. And you know we see it here.

3 Likes

Hang up all the modelling stuff. Go buy The Lord Of The Rings trilogy set. Read them, all three, one after the other. When you are done, your soul will be refreshed, you will be far the wiser, the zen will be flowing, and you will be ready to crack open a new kit.

3 Likes

I’ve been modeling over 50 years…I go through this 'burn out" all the time. Not to worry as its non-life threatening. You’ll snap out of it at the most unsuspecting time. I’m in my 4th month of my latest funk. Retirement and other activities (‘honey do’ list) are unexpected culprits, but eventually, I will overcome! Say 3 Hail Mary’s, have a beer, watch some tank videos, join a group built…blah, blah, blah. See…you’re feeling better already! Follow me for more modeling advice!

1 Like

You might try working on something you wouldn’t normally work on, like a plane, submarine, spacecraft, or car. Maybe something that’s colorful like a commerative scheme. Or maybe something simple that you’d use in on a vehicle or diorama (ammunition, ration boxes, crates, missiles).

Or just step away until the juices flow again. I spend more time in these slumps than I do building kits. Can’t remember when I finished something.

Hope you get your mojo back.

all good ideas and each works in difference circumstances.

get a different interest. when i bike, i see things to model. when i hike, the same. when i sketch, ditto. when i hobby, i think of the other activities i enjoy.

realize research or documentation contributes to building.

i don’t understand how or even why someone would be interested in wargaming, but about every other video by Uncle Atom teaches something about hobbies in general, or about myself.

Many of us “suffer” from that from time to time.
Just let it be. Do something else you enjoy, instead of beating yourself over the head. That’ll only make it worse.
And when the flow comes back, enjoy it once again.

I thought you did well with the not too red ground effects (but still some red showing. That 548 off shoot is really kinda neat! Never saw one or even heard of one. I wouldn’t get to worried about the 578, as they actually were uncommon beasts in country. Most units had a couple ten ton wreckers to change barrels and power packs with. You can’t change a barrel with a 578 and maybe not two of them. Myself, I’d dig in a couple M110’s or even two M107’s if you plan on going the arty route. (don’t mix them)

Cav troops often pass thru arty base camps to run sweeps out front for a couple thousand yards, so your ACAV’s fall in place.
gary

@agincajun

I dunno. I think it’s important to have more than one diversion or hobby.

Model building is primarily a fall/winter thing for me. It’s something I do when it’s too cold to go outside and lay on the ground on a padded mat like I do during every weekend during spring/summer.

Some time in late February or early March I’ll find myself struggling to finish a build. Last March it was an M806A1 ARVL conversion for an M113. I just wasn’t feeling it; you know what I mean?

I knew it was time to put the kit away and store all my model building stuff for the summer, get the induction annealer and presses back on the bench and warm up the auto throw and trickler.

This past September I pulled out the M806A1 and started screwing around with it again and finished it, although I’m still not that jazzed about the completed kit.

Some day in the future I’ll probably get to the point where it’s really bugging me and I’ll pull it off the shelf, but I doubt it. This is supposed to be fun, right?

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone for your input, we all seem to be on the same page, your suggestions are basicaly the same as I’ve concluded. If I don’t make a positive move on this little animal today I’ll have to tray it up and put it on the back burner so I can start on a more straight forward build, maybe the M548 although Takoms new M48 B model looks very nice especially at under 50 bucks. IF by chance any of you have the Verlinden conversion be forewarned there are two assemblies that are a total PIA . . the ‘Level Wind Control’, suspended from the lifting boom, is an infuriating SOB and would be better tackled using the PE parts as templates for Evergreen re-fabs.
The stabilizing plate is the other mother, the kit directions are completely ineffective, lots of research is needed here. Well time to stop whineing and make a move. :cry:

1 Like

Al @Arch-Stanton you are exactly the man I had in mind when I started this post, when you first published pics of your models a few weeks ago I was just floored by the number of kits and the fine job you’ve done on them. I am so envious of your collection, you are my new mentor. You might think I’m yanking your chain but I want that . . . ahh what do you call it? focus?, commitment?, dedication? Yessir you are my hero. If I ever get over this Analcranialinsertion I want to be just like you. You are a modelers modeler, you have definitely got your sh . . stuff squared away!

3 Likes

I appreciate the kind words but the truth is my stuff sucks in comparison to what I see posted on this forum.

I built the Verlinden M578 25 years ago, before cataract surgeries and arthritis and it was a pain in the ass then.

It may not be the most accurate but I did enjoy completing it. The equally ancient AEF designs M728 conversion next to it is also inaccurate but I had fun making it all work.

The whole point of this hobby or obsession or whatever we’re calling it this week is to have fun and pleasing no one but ourselves.

I don’t personally know anyone who builds models. Most of the people who find out I build models end up looking sideways at me.

I was a mechanic for 40 years and my work always had to be perfect with no come backs.
Here, not so much.

7 Likes

Thanks for the pic, I see your oxy/acetelyn bottles are different than mine and you’ve reminded me I need to get a vise. The work lights on the operators turret are kicking my butt right now, I’m just ready to be done with it and get it in place. I have PSM’s M728 conversion but I need a break from resin and mixed media. The thing that impresses me most is the obvious continuity of your model building, I have trouble staying the course, life keeps getting in the way.

1 Like