JLTV UTL M1278 and an RG-33 SOCOM AUV Build Conversion

Incredible build nick !!!

2 Likes

Wow !!!

This truck is a monster.

Good luck for the painting work.

Congrats for this remarkable job !

2 Likes

i only have one word for this build and that is sexy.

2 Likes

Well guys,

Thanks for sticking with me on this crazy build - and thanks for taking some time to share your thoughts. But, now, I’m calling it done!

First up, a before and after of sorts, really a first try and this try:

I built the almost, but clearly not accurate version, 8 or ten years ago, as you can see on the left - alas, I was ambitious! Among the long list of things I ignored or did wrong were the front fenders - they, as you can see on the right, are now the correct, and truly majestic front fenders! I wanted to get those, at a minimum right this time! I did reuse the tires and wheels from the first version - I got those right!

So, this turned into quite a project which I enjoyed making - a few years of experience make a big difference - but, you all know that!

Unhappily, I had to wait a few days for some sun, so I could take this big rig out for its first big test drive, and I traveled near and far:

She’s a beauty and a beast!

And can handle all that I threw at her!

So, thanks again for looking in and leaving your positive thoughts - it makes a difference! This involved a lot of slow sledding…and then re-sledding, and so on!

A special tip-o-the Xacto to Rob @18bravo, for some great images, and to @SableLiger, for some great ideas and info for the quad! and to the Saturday bbq boys for moral support!

In any event, I really enjoyed this project :smiley:

And now, it will make its way to a life of neglect and dust collection, but that test drive was sure fun!

Up next, I’m going to try and convert a Scammell Pioneer 6x4 to a Scammell Explorer 6x6

Cheers and happy model building -

Nick

13 Likes

Awesome job Nick! That is one serious looking beast and certainly not made for ease of manufacturing… Man, how many details are on it?!

your paintjob certainly did it justice, as did your trip to the local desert :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great job Nick. Still amazed at the speed of the build.

4 Likes

Incredible, stupendous, fantastic - a Masterpiece! Superior scratchbuilding for miles and miles. Outstanding paint work and finishing. Nick your sheer modeling talent and skill deserve all the praise it can garner, it is truly amazing. Thanks for taking us on this wild ride and sharing your wealth of knowledge and craftsmanship.

5 Likes

Phenomenal build and artisan skills – WOW

3 Likes

Best scratch build ever!

3 Likes

I wanna’ drive that rig!

Another great one Nick!

—mike

3 Likes

Looks oustanding. Happy to haver been able to help out, even in just something as small as the Mk46 mount. :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks very much guys, and glad it passes your collective eye test

And, @SSGToms, Matt, that is too much! thank you, but… :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: you’ve set the bar too high! :smile:

This project really tested me - before it goes away to languish, I took a few more pictures - it’s a bit sunnier today, so indoor photos look a bit better - and you can actually see some of what’s going on:

The last step before the quad was getting some, what I’m guessing are, sensors on the visor. The little “glass” dome is actually a piece of clear plastic tube with a piece of clear plastic glued on top. The device inside is a mix of bits cobbled together - to look about right. I don’t know what the two black, or the one green device is - but, they are there. The spotlight, over the driver - it came out pretty well but was hard to make - unhappily, as you can see, I got some paint bleed over the lens, which is too bad, but something I can live with!

I did dd plumbing etc under the fenders, but next to impossible to see -

and the quad

And overall:

Yes, it’s done - no touching up etc!

15 Likes

Holy crap this is friggin epic. Out of this world !

2 Likes

What they’ve all said – all I can add is those test-drive photos blew what was left of my mind :exploding_head: :trophy:

2 Likes

Can’t you try to get the paint off with a toothpick? For acryllic paint this usually works for me…

2 Likes

VERY , very , very cool Nick , outstanding !!!

3 Likes

This would win you Best Of Show at AMPS.

3 Likes

Miniaturist my keester , that there is fine art !!!

4 Likes

INSANE scratcherizing… :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Incredible work, nice job :+1:

2 Likes