Just curious, how many started/unfinished kits do you have?

Your question saddens and depresses me. Hmmm…most of them?

1 Like

Just one for many years. 1/35th Tauro A7v. Scratchbuilding the interior. Then the Meng kit came out. Took all the joy out of the project.

I fully sympathise; over several years I procured the resin Navigator T-10, acquired 2 x Trumpeter IS-3Ms ( to utilise the suspension components instead of the Navigator ones), further acquired drawings and photos of the rear stowage bin, then, lo and behold! Trumpeter bring out a T-10M.

3 Likes

Brilliant!

1 Like

The old Tauro kit… probably should have scratch built the exterior too… :grin:

1 Like

I kinda did. Added ALL the rivets for the 5 panel (Krupp) version. Recreated the MG ports. Lots of other additions as well.

2 Likes

At least 15, planes, tank and ships

Well, I am 64 and will work a couple more years. I have about 100 kits in the stash and if I built 4 a year that would take me to 91 to finish. Some kits are 6 month type builds so bump it out some more. I was talking with a close friend and he is retiring currently and setting up his hobby room in his new house. He knew how he wanted the room set up but was getting unsure of what he would do in the room. He like me have multiple hobbies and he realistically said he was unsure of which hobbies he was actually going to pursue and which he was going to give up. You go hard for a few years and things cool off and you go in a different direction. He is right and that means I probably will not finish the 100 kits due to a variety of reasons and health not being the least. I am starting to make a list of kits that would be far down on my get around to build list and have started moving them out. Some of them will be complex kits because at 75 I don’t know if my eyesight/ eye hand coordination will be as good as it is now. I am thinking maybe 60 kits would be more realistic.

4 Likes

I hear that Greg. One has to be realistic. I’ll be 60 when I retire but don’t have any other hobbies ( unless my wife comes up with some new ones!) but I will have to thin the stash at some point. I already got rid of about 50-60 kits last year, but did buy another 10! It’s not easy lol.

That’s a success story!

I got rid of 60 and bought 50…wink

Buy yourself some magnification. The options are only limited by your budget.

1 Like

I think I’m near 30 or 35 unfinished models. But most of them are Masters, and 1/48th scale.
And now, I’m down in 3D SLA printers, like this 1/48th BTR-70 on the virtual workbench… :wink:

2 Likes

As I get older I noticed my hand to eye is not as precise as it was when I was 30. For parts that fit into a hole or edge, no problem. However when putting parts into a place that have no factory attachment point I am not always happy with the results.

3 Likes

3 so far, Dragon JU188, Eduard FW-190, and Dragon Geschutzewagon 38T.

Maybe you need a hand or forearm rest? It could be a padded block, a foam bumper along the front edge of the table like some use to avoid carpal tunnel from the computer mouse or even an articulated rest that attaches to your chair or work table.

5 Likes

+1 Naval subject. Couldn’t help starting Takom’s 1/35 Sea Dart & Sea Wolf kit. Doing the Sea Dart first as it requires no PE parts (they’re all for Sea Wolf). Also, it should be easy to paint as it’s all grey except for the missiles.

Good news is my modeling mojo has returned. I am also working on a Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen and a Vulcan 1/35 2pdr. The latter has a lot of tiny parts. My Optivisor and X-Acto Third Hand are making work on this kit possible.

2 Likes

So, out of the above I have finished:
Revell Spitfire Mk IIa
Hasegawa A6M5c Type 52
AMT 1963 Chevy Nova II station wagon
AMT 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL
AMT 1967 Chevy Impala 4-door diorama
SATCO 1992 Nissan Pathfinder diorama

However, I have skipped around and have;

1. all three Panda Hobby Lorraine-based German mobile guns built and ready for paint.
  2. Bandai 1/144 Razor Crest, Falcon, TIE, 2 X-Wings, and Vader’s ship completed.

The Mustangs are basically waiting for the subassemblies to be put together, and I added the '68 GT500 to that group.
Bf109 and Me262 are in paint – had to order some missing RLMs.
I’m being lazy about the two Pz III’s but the F just needs the final base color; it is complete.

Well I am glad that it is not only me, I thought I had an attention problem. I love building, not so much painting and weathering, so I have about 4 models that are built but unpainted.

1 Like

And I am the same. When assembling, I lose one model out of ten. At the stage of painting two models out of three. It seems that there is even a nomination in competitions: an unpainted model.
For example, I assembled this IS-4 7 years ago and am not going to paint it. I like it this way better.

Legally, this is an unfinished model, but in fact, it is finished.

10 Likes

That IS-4 looks superb as it is. It should not be painted ever … the detailing is so nicely done. would be a shame to have it hidden.