KG Peiper in the Ardennes, Panther #114

Having previously starting work on two other Panthers (#202 & 215) it was time they got some company … so I started tackling the Panther 114.

As for research on this vehicle these 2 books are essential:
“PANTHER, external appearance & design changes”
“Duel in the Mist 1”
“Duel in the Mist 2”

I also came across this excellent FB page : “The King of La Gleize”

Here is the quotation from this FB page I 'll “borrow” giving some historical context of this tank:

And a few available fotos of the original:

Here is the camo scheme I will be adapting as best as possible:

Cheers
Christopher

6 Likes

I use the chose the RFM PantherG / 5018 kit for this project, the reinforced gun mantlet came from TAKOM and so did the track link holders on the hull sides.
I tend to paint my models as close to the original so that is why I take all these individual steps:

Another reason is that I hardly do any “Chipping” … my “Damages” are real and careful scratches or “sanded off” effects close to the reals thing:

Cheers
Christopher

11 Likes

I started with the turret … although I have the appropriate mask set for the Disc-Camo I decided against it after making a sample on an old M60 turret.
It appeared a little too “dense” for my taste so I chose doing it the hard way.
Although quite time consuming it allowed me to replicate the designate scheme more closely which does not reflect a “uniform”, rather a more random appearance.

20 Likes

A pretty nice “Ambush” cammo job so far. Itsy-bitsy pieces of Tamiya tape?
And a big thanks for the historical images.
Please keep us updated with progress pics.
And thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Thank you Tom !

Not Tamiya tape … but also quite tedious work. In this case I use a masking product von U v.d. Rosten.

Here is the front plate ready for airbrushing :

Cheers
Christopher

7 Likes

Started with the camo on front plate …

6 Likes

Fiddly work, but well worth the effort and time. Looks great.

3 Likes

Excellent job so far

2 Likes

Thankx guys!

Here is the result … I’ll add some individual “splinters”. here and there.
Took some artistic liberties with the brown spot on the right top corner … made it a little more “wavy” .
Sides are up next …

Cheers
Christopher

10 Likes

Getting there …

Cheers
Christopher

8 Likes

Bit by bit … finally the camo works are coming to an end.

Cheers
Christopher

9 Likes

Really nice looking scheme … The time and effort were well worth it. Its very distinctive and been executed perfectly.

3 Likes

Thank you Johnny

Appearance is still rather " bright", I believe when weathered all colours will have the right match in tone … got the running gear painted too and will start dirtying them up first, I honestly hate doing all those road wheels.

Cheers
Christopher

3 Likes

Close enough I think …

8 Likes

I think you missed a tiny bit

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: … seriously … its looking great … cracking job :+1:

7 Likes

… you are telling me NOW ! OMG :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Looking more closely at a better picture of 114 … I had to move the number a little forward as can be identified on the original. Starting to dirty up the lower hull and the running gear.

And while I am at it … a little teaser:

Cheers
Christopher

11 Likes

So I did a little work on the 114, running gear on and weathered. Got some tools on and did some basic filters/weathering with oil paints … got most of the vision blocks in.
I do not tend to work on a kit continually, I bring it up to certain stages like the raw build, then the paint job, running gear complete and weathered (I utterly despise doing that). Once I get to an overall satisfying level I gradually add the tools and other items and proceed with a more detailed process of working around smaller specific areas or topics.
When I start with the tools or vision blocks, I tend to do this for a couple of other kits also waiting to be “upgraded”.
So with me it is a rather slower process over months … or years. Figures are usually the last to get finished although I assemble and pre-fit them quite early.

In the mean time I worked on theses JgPz IV 70:

… and these two modern tanks both closely resembling originals form fotos and videos:

Cheers
Christopher

12 Likes

Wow! Really great job on that camo! The Leo(?) and Abrams look great too!

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

Here is the original inspiration … EX “Ready Crucible” 2005

Here the Leo 2 / 7th Batch production from PzBat. 104 early 1990 's

6 Likes