Land of the rising sun

Well, I told myself I was pretty much done with campaigns (except for Unfinished campaigns) but here I am signing up I can’t remember the last time I joined a campaign or even finished a model.

Here’s my entry:
DSC00459

4 Likes

Very nice save with those wings Mead. You did a cracking job with them. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks buddy! Always a nice feeling when you can overcome issues with a kit like this one

2 Likes

The IJN Shioya will be my entry in the Land of the Rising Sun campaign. She was a fleet tanker built to take avgas to the carriers. Her history can be found on the Kido Butai web site. Hopefully it will be a simple build

3 Likes

Made a small start on my build.
DSC00470

3 Likes

A journey of a thousand Miles begins with small steps.

1 Like

A bit more done on the Kaitan II. Most of the previously applied pigment had rubbed off while handling the model and that is OK as it gives me another chance to see if I can improve it. I do not have much experience with pigment fixers and thought possibly they might be used to help give this Kaiten a mottled appearance. A brush was used to apply some of the fixer and another brush used to daub the fixer with a dark rust pigment. The poor sub sure looks sick now like it contracted rust pox. Once its dry, I’ll try to burnish the dark pigment down and then apply some lighter rust shades overall. This is a bit of an experiment.

Paul

9 Likes

Finished my Hayate /Frank. I have since added the antenna wire.

I am in the process of finishing up a diorama for it, I will post it when done.

11 Likes

Thats a great looking Frank. The color looks almost brownish. What did you use to accomplish it?

Paul

That’s a great technique. Thanks.
I might have to try that myself.

I wonder if a beige would work on a camouflage pattern?

1 Like

Glued the 25mm receiver halves together then clamped them.
DSC00473

4 Likes

A beige might work, esp. if it has a light gray to it. The color the Japanese painted the early Zero is a tempestuous subject (probably the only other one that stirs so much heated debate is any discussion of a tiger tank) but I fall in the camp espoused by Nick Millman, simply because of his analysis of the paints from extant artifacts and his knowledge of analyzing colors, as well as his contacts with people with original documents. Here are two blogs discussing early Zero colors as a warm, slightly brownish or olive grey.

Yes, what color did you use? The late War factory applied scheme was an olive with a brownish hue to it.

Gary, watching this with interest. I bought this kit about the time you announced you were building it. I’ll let you be the trailblazer!

This one is fantastic!
A great and unusual subject with a superb finish and dito setting! I love it.

Glued the hull halves together and added a Evergrren strip to support the join on the bottom of the hull in case I decde to screw the model to a base

Started to clean off the flash that was present on most of the parts before I took them off the sprues. I find it easier that way. The flash is most noticable on the ends of the parts

The seams, very minor, on the ends of the hull filled and the whole hull primered

3 Likes

DSC00476
DSC00477
Glued the receiver back (A11) and port recuperator (A5) to the receiver. Cut the starboard recuperator (A6) and plate (A10) from the sprue and cleaned them up. The plate seems to stand a little too proud from the receiver.

2 Likes

Thank you Elefant6, McRunty, JPTRR, and Mead93. I’m glad you like my humble efforts.

JPTRR// cool technique to add various subtle tones to the model’s surface.
Mead93// getting good progress done on your kits. Looking forward to the painting
phase.
Gary_Kato// awesome model for the campaign. Wicked looking AA gun. Have fun.
steviecee// the IJN Shioya is a great choice for the campaign. We don’t see many
support vessels being made. Ships with big guns get all the glory.
hudson29// good luck with your weathering experiment on your Kaiten sub.
bomber14// excellent finish on your Frank. Awesome paintwork and weathering.
Love the crew figure too.

Great job everyone on their projects. Awesome modeling that inspires me to “Up” my game.
Bill

Here’s my 2nd entry for the campaign. I’ve always wanted to depict a “Banzai Charge”. In order to keep the planned diorama manageable, I will be making it in 1/72 scale. I will also be adding a knocked out Chi-Ha tank to the scene.

Initial scene composition.

I will carefully carve off the backpacks on several figures.

Once the backpacks were off, I added equipment strap details(used masking tape).

The casualties required extensive reworking. Arm, leg, and head swaps were done.

Well that’s it for now. I have plenty of painting to do next. Thanks for viewing.
Bill

4 Likes

Very nice I look forward to seeing them with paint. The Revell offering, are those the old Airfix models? I was thinking air fix is 172nd, but the poses they have specially the grenade throwers, they look very familiar. Mars, haven’t seen any of those before. What are they like in terms of detail? There are so many new companies putting out figure sets in this scale, both soft plastic and hard plastic, I don’t know a fraction of them. From what I’ve seen though some of them have amazing detail. I finally bought the Red Box set of Japanese Navy and Japanese Army aviation personnel. Impressive. Can’t wait to start painting some and putting them on my airplanes. I’ve got plans. Big plans!

I’m far more excited to see your progress.