Land of the rising sun

Chugging along.
Stared painting. Camo came out ok-ish, but the yellow paint did not agree with the airbrush. So it has to be handpainted later.
Wheels and tracks are added loosely. Need to touch up the bogies too.

8 Likes

@Mead93 okay, you’ve convinced me to try masking and painting my own hinomsri the future. Very interesting reading about this cirucut tool.

2 Likes

@RonW lovin’ that Chi-Ha.

@panzerman1 you are a diorama constructing machine, and to a top-notch quality at that! When I first looked at your ohka, I was wondering if it wasn’t a larger scale model. Then I went back and read through and saw the old Hasegawa. That thing’s only like 3 in long and yet you put a rudimentary interior in it and painted up a pilot that looks better than I can paint in 1/32! Can’t wait to see how you set everything up. Too

2 Likes

I managed to reach the finishing stage!
Main paint is on. I HATED putting on the yellow! There’s like 5 layers on there. made the mistake to take a gloss yellow for the second layer. Simply grabbed the wrong jar.
I used a neutral grey wash to tone down the yellow and deepen the other colours. Then gloss, decals and some first detail painting.
I hope I can finish in time!

6 Likes

I like your chi-ha, gloss yellow or not. I don’t remember if I mentioned it here, I announced at another site that I’m dropping out for a while. Hopefully only a month or so until we get the house on the market. My Shinhoto as it’s base color about 90% assembled, but it’s been like that since late February. I don’t foresee a chance to work on it until we get the house on the market. But I really enjoying watching the rest of you guys build.

I’ve heard some articles about why, and if, the Japanese use those yellow bands. Later tonight I’ll go on my computer and try to find those articles. But do any of you remember? I always thought it was kind of strange put bright yellow into camouflage. Unless it’s supposed to help break up the shape and confuse the eye while going through jungle or heavily forested areas.

Just stumbled across this video that claims to have original color of Japanese armor. I’m outside looking at my phone so I can’t really tell if it’s colorized or not.

3 Likes

The Chi-Ha is nearing completion. I might yet make it!!
To do are; dull coat, final weather, the head- and tail lights and the tracks.

7 Likes

Go, Ron, go.

Cheers!

chuck

1 Like

Nearing the finish line on the Ki-84 and B6N got the finishing touches on the B6N, namely the radio mast and small side windows.

Most of the B6N bits and bobs have been detail painted too. I just need to mask the small windows and it’s ready for paint. On the Ki-84 front, I got the rear fueslage hinumaru and tail stripe pained. Now I just need to figure out a way to mask the bands so the stripes are parallel and equidistant from the hinumaru edges.

Then I will prime both birds, spray the top sides aluminum for chipping later, and then spray the under sides. After that I’ll spray the topsides tomorrow.

6 Likes

Excellent progress. Thank for posting progress photos.

Cheers!

chuck

@panzerman1 wow! Really looking forward to seeing how all this will come together.

@RonW the Chi-Ha is looking really good. Think the yellow turned out well with the wash to blend it into the cammo.

Afraid I’m going to have to bow out. I’m going to be away for a few days and that Airfix Val has not really progressed much since my last update. There’s only so much I can do with such an old kit. I’ve since bought the ZTS Plastyk Val for cheap on eBay (actually paid less than I did for the Airfix) and it does look a lot more promising than the old Airfix effort. I’m going to see how that one goes. If it proves to be just as troublesome, I’ll continue to pester Airfix to retool it!

2 Likes

My Ki-84 has reached the decal step.

I made the various markings (The hinomaru, yellow identification strip and other technicals marking) with my new plotter.

9 Likes

Made it!!
Thanks to an afternoon off from work I was able to finish the Chi-Ha!
I added a glass to the front light, added colour and gloss to the rear lights, gloss to the goggles, did more washes on tank and tracks and added rust on the outer edges of the tracks.
Really not bad for such an old kit. Not bad at all!

9 Likes

Looks fantastic!!

1 Like

Inching towards the finish line. It looks a little bit like a Zero, but really Hase, were those trenches not necessary? If I get close enough will there be an X Wing in there some where?

Got a second color coat on yesterday maybe I can start some other detail painting and maybe some light weathering in the next few days. :wave:

7 Likes

Underside coat down in the B6N gonna let it dry and hit it with the upper green tomorrow. Majority of parts are detail painted already too. Just need to finish the wood fin on the torpedo. Should have this one done in a few days

Not gonna weather this one too much. Probably panel line wash, wash in landing dear and bays, and maybe some exhaust and fuel stains. Pictures of this very aircraft don’t show any chipping the ki-84 will get more weathering

5 Likes

Everybodies builds look great! Can we get a couple weeks extension, my sprue with landing gear just came in for my Raiden so I am hoping to finish it off!

1 Like

Broke a part when trying to clean up the gates on it.
DSC00565

Can’t believe where Pit-Road attached this part to the sprue.
FU

2 Likes

Time to catch up with everyone’s projects. Great work being done here in the campaign.

RonW / Great job on your Chi-Ha. I like the camo paint scheme. The figure is cool too.
JPTRR / Thanks for the super comment. I always put a pilot figure in my plane builds. And yes, the Ohka is a tiny kit. Hahaha!!!
Mead93 / Your build is coming along nicely.
hetzer44 / Thanks Chuck.
phantom_phantastic / Thanks for the awesome comment. On the home stretch now.
FlyingSauerkraut / Paintwork and markings look fantastic.

Good luck to everyone on finishing their projects.
Bill

1 Like

All done with my 3rd entry. I had a wonderful time here during the campaign.

I made a shadow box out of foam board. Backdrop is poster print. The seascape is crinkled aluminum foil. The flak is painted cotton.
Bill

11 Likes

@ColinEdm sure thing, I’ll extend the deadline! Also gives me time to get both the Ki-84 and B6N done

@panzerman1 that is beyond cool!!

@SSGToms are you able to extend the end day to June 18th? I could seem to figure out how

1 Like