Land of the rising sun

Fantastic work and progress!

2 Likes

Thanks Mead! It was a fun kit overall, granted there were a few challenges. Considering that it was molded 48 years ago and still holds its own says a lot!

2 Likes

Painted the cowl on the B6N today. Went with a mix of Black, medium gray and a touch of blue for scale effect. Pretty happy with the color. Was a bit worried with the very curved masking job but it was pretty easy.! Make a couple boo boos in the gear bays with over spray so I’m touching these up. After that the Jill is basically done. Just needs a clear coat, wash and some streaking and that’s it

Also got the base down for chipping off on the Ki-84. This is my first time painting a whole bird in NMF. I love the look. Have to do a mustang or Cold War fighter soon! Gonna do hairspray and base coat the Ki-84 tomorrow

9 Likes

As we’ve got an extension I’ll carry on with the Val. We’ll see if I can get it finished in time.
Got the wings and tailplanes on today. Fit was about as good as you expect. Probably should’ve sanded the mating surfaces of the wings back a bit more to get them thinner as the wing is slightly thicker than the roots.
Lesson learned.

@Mead93 great work on those two. The nmf looks really nice. Been following your B6N build and have to say it’s a really nice looking aircraft. I managed to find the Fujimi 1/72 to add to my little collection of Japanese types.

@john41492 great work on the Sonia. Especially the interior. Probably missed it in the post, but what scale is it?

6 Likes

So with my replacement landing struts I was able to finish off my Raiden:

Had some problems getting the decals to set right so there is some silvering, and may still add some exhaust staining. Looks like one of the guns is cockeyed too, have to fix that.

11 Likes

Awsome looking bird nonetheless!

Fantastic work on an older kit. Shows what can be done with some of those vintage kitd

Cheers!

chuck

Looking good! I really need to add a VAL at some point.

I agree, the Japanese really knew how to make elegant aircraft. The B6N is almost the size of an Avenger, but looks much more elegant and sleek! Don’t get me wrong, I love the look of the avenger too, but for such a big aircraft the Jill really doesn’t have beautiful flowing lines and elegant curves

1 Like

Thanks, she’s getting there slowly but I think I’m over the worst of it. Japan did build some good looking aircraft at the time.

If you’re looking for a Val, I would recommend the Hasegawa 1/48. It’s a really nice kit. You can usually find it at PlazaJapan for a good price. I’m wishing I had gone with my gut and pulled that out of the stash.
The only reason I’m going with 1/72 with this is because I have the Airfix Pearl Harbour set from a couple of years ago with the new Zero, Kate and P-40. The Val will round it out to all three IJN types used. Might even make for an interesting build log.

3 Likes

Sneaking up on the finish line, paint and decals in place. Needs a clear coat, weathering and fiddly bits.

Thanks for the extension, doubt I could get it all done by tomorrow.:wave:

7 Likes

Progress on my Ki-44. Going wheels up to try a new bend acrylic rod stand.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Btw, the decals look very dubious, but I will try them. Backup is to make a generic machine with standard decals.

3 Likes

DSC00581
Done with the Starboard side of the mount. The Trainer’s seat and controls are just fitted on. I figure I’ll just knock them off when I’m trying to put the whole gun mount together.

5 Likes

So glad to see the Sonia being built. I wanted one since 1975 but always bought something else. Friend of mine finally gave me one a few years ago. I can’t wait to start working on it. It’s just a neat little airplane. Glad to see one being built in detail by someone with your skill.

1 Like

both look great. i want to compare your frank to mine color wise when your done. i finished this build a while back but made a diorama for it i want to post too.
no chipping or weathering on the jill?

Joe

Thanks! Sounds good! I think I have a color picked out for the top side, but still trying to decide what to use for the bottom.

The Jill is being weathered as we speak :slight_smile: it won’t have much chipping though, photos of Jill’s just don’t show the heavy chipping seen on other aircraft’s. From what I understand IJN paint jobs were generally of high quality, while late war IJA paint jobs weren’t as good due to dwindling supplies, limited use of primer, and the rough airfields they tended to operate from.

The Jill received a panel line/sludge wash of burnt umber mixed with black oil paint. This was then wiped off in the direction of air flow. I also added some black oil streaking around the engine, and some oil streaking on the lower side. I will add some exhaust stains and very light chipping with a sponge and metallic paint to the top side, then I’ll be calling it done!

1 Like

Base color is on. Next some detail painting - then judgement time with very old decals. :flushed:

7 Likes

Most details painted and now it is time to see if the decals work :flushed:

More to follow soon….

7 Likes

Success!!! The decals are strong as long as handled carefully. Only one small part broke of.
However, due to the strength of the decals. Nothing I have softens the decals.

Somebody put forward a brand previously, but now I cannot find the post and the name of the brand. Any suggestions?

9 Likes

Solvaset is the strongest on the market.

2 Likes