Late Tiger 1 Dragon 3in1

Thanks @Arch-Stanton - it certainly gets my vote from now on. Saying that though, the Cavalier Resin Zimm sheets are also very good … but hard to get nowadays. This DEF set took me about 90 minutes all in to get it on and set correctly. Thats nothing compared with having to try and use the self made Zimm using filler or putty etc … Like I said … highly recommended.

3 Likes

Everything is now primed.

It has allowed me to see a few micro air bubbles under the Zimm that I can sort out.

Also a few places that will need some plastic putty adding. I also scraped away a few patches of the Zimm to show damage but they will show better after painting.

Would the hull colour under the Zimm be primer or dunkelgelb ?

3 Likes

You might want to zimm the edges with some putty so the seam doesn’t show.

1 Like

As as i know, Zimm was applied over the factory primer

1 Like

Thanks @Whitewolf … That’s what I was trying to find out … I take it it would of been primer red ? Like I did the fan bays ?
Greg @TopSmith , the Zimm decals are pretty well thought through. The top and bottom edges and both ends all have uneven staggered finishes so they blend in nicely … There is one part in those pics above that shows a a slight gap but that’s where the side panel of the kit moved a bit as I clamped it… Hopefully the plastic putty and some Mr500 will hide that :+1:

1 Like

Yes, the steel/armour was primed with red oxide primer prior to the zimm being applied.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for that. Big help for the paint phase :+1:

Decided to add all the veh tools apart from recovery ropes.

Everything is now fitted bodywork wise … Will leave the idler arms until I sort the track out.

3 Likes

Going to hold off on the painting as I’ve just ordered the AK RC late German armour set… Should be here mid to end of the week from good old AMS in Scotland :+1:

2 Likes

Curios. Did you use any decal setting solution on the zimmerit? Your build inspired me to order the Def set for my tamiya Elefant. Think I am gonna build it in two weeks when I’m on stay-cation!

No … the instructions state " DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF SETTING SOLUTION" as it will damage the decals. Just precut around the section you are going use, dip in warm water for 15 - 20 seconds, and set aside on tissue paper to soak away any excess of water, then use a thin layer of white PVA glue over the area the Zimm decal will be going and slide/place the decal onto it. Use a a tissue to soak up and excess water and firmly press the decal down. The PVA allows you time to reposition the zimm if needed. You can then check for little air bubbles. If you miss any small air bubbles you can easily sort them once its all set. Just the tip of a new scalpel blade and then press the bubble away, its all very easy.

Be careful of the Zimm when applying as it is fragile and flimsy when its off the backing paper. Also, dont be to heavy handed with it when its on the kit and setting if you need to move it about. I found a damp cotton bud was the easiest way to move it around if I needed to.

2 Likes

Paints arrived…

Will get the base dunkelgelb down tomorrow :+1:

3 Likes

Any comments on how they compare to the tamiya offering? I love AK real colors. May pick these up when I run out of dunkelgelb. I know there schwarzgrau is fantastic

Sorry it wasn’t clear. I meant in regards to color. I already know they spray like a dream

2 Likes

Yes, I am replacing my Tamiya paints with AK Real Colors as they run out. I have found that AK 3rd Generation paints are very good also.

2 Likes

They spray so nice and seem to me to have really nice color density

2 Likes

Not had chance to compare them but by what I have seen and used from the other pots I’ve used, it looks like AK seem to research and get their paint matches a lot closer to the real thing than Tamiya. I have practically all the Tamiya paints and they also do pretty close matching with some of the range, but I would say AK beat them overall, especially when you throw in the fact they spray so well and they have a superb hard finish which takes a lot of abuse etc…
I’m gradually going build my AK stock up… Concentrating on the just the RC range first …

3 Likes

I’ve also noticed the real colors are tough as nails when dry. Tamiya is pretty good too but it is hard to damage the Ak real colors

1 Like

Well Mead, I got the AK dunkelgelb down … Judge how you think it looks.

I have to say it again about these AK RC paints, they are remarkable… They dry smudge proof within minutes , it drys super flat and it has a real hard coat… They are brilliant.

I love this tone as well… I think it’s great and just the right shade.
Wheels are also done.

Will start on the tracks and recovery ropes tomorrow… Stay tuned and keep smiling troops :+1:

5 Likes

Looks good,great paint job.I have been using AK-Real also,they act just like just like Tamiya only with a bigger color range.I thin my with lacquer thinner.

The only thing I havent tried yet is thinning them way down and bringing the PSI all the way down to 8 for close in camo work.

1 Like

Looks great! The paint makes the zimmerit POP too!

1 Like