Late Tiger 1 Dragon 3in1

I used them for that on an ME-262 mottle. I’m not the best painter but they worked well for that!

5 Likes

Thanks chaps. I was very happy with it. Will get the tracks base coated today and start on the cam later with the brown, again form the AK set.

The dunkelgelb was about 60% cellulose thinner and 40% paint with some Tamiya lacquer retarder added.

2 Likes

The Dunklegelb looks great John. Nice paint job. After trying all of the brands currently out there, it’s IMHO that nobody can beat AK Interactive Real Colors for color selection, accuracy, consistency, quality control, mixing, sprayability, ease of use, and durability of finish. They are just that good.

2 Likes

Totally agree… I don’t think you can fault them on any count. I would like to try the AK is it 3 Gen paints ? They do sets with more paints included but I think they must be a different paint base to the TC range… Will defo be sticking with the RC for the foreseeable future though …

1 Like

I have a bunch of the AK RC that I will use on my Panzer IV E but I also bought the AK Gen3 Dark grey to try out on a stug iii in the near future. I think the Gen 3 paints are acrylics.

1 Like

Got a few coats down on the tracks.

They had been primed with Halfords rattle can primers grey…
Next up was a coat of Matt black, again from a Halfords car range.

I find this gives the tracks some depth in the recessed areas.

Next up was a coat of Tamiya Dark Iron xf 84 … mixed 60/40 thinner/paint.

Next will be a wash of the Mig track wash then Vallejo steel pigments over the raised and easily rubbed areas.

Will mask the hull later for the AK 68 Rotbraun :+1:

2 Likes

Yes it did. This kit was hailed as a multi media mana from heaven release back then, It came with a lot more stuff, including more etch, brass ammunition, etc:

Yep that’s the kit. Dragon at the top of their game. You can still find them every once in a while at a show. About 2-3 years ago I came across one for a reasonable $35.00US and was very tempted but I was no longer doing WWII subjects and passed.

I remember a discussion back in 2005 with a shop owner who insisted Dragon must be losing money on that kit, deliberately, in order to gain market share. But who could tell? The economy of China was a mystery to us.

David

1 Like

Did the brown sections

Went down very nice as per usual with the AK stuff.

Just the green to go now.
Have also done a bit of detailing, recovery ropes, cleaning rods, and some spare track links - only doing 4 for the turret… I will carry on with some detailing later.

8 Likes

The Olivgrun is down. Now I’m pretty with happy with how it looks. It’s got a few little areas that a miniscule amount of over spray, but the real wagons would of had the same… Some times painting comes across as to neat if you know what I mean.

Only 2 small issues and I will go through those later … now the images.

Now, the first of the 2 issues … One of the padlocks on the rear turret bin came away with the masking stuff I used (play doh) … the second issue was I must of not fully glued down a small section of the Zimmerit… When I pulled the masking tape off it took a very small section of Zimm with it

Luckily, this won’t be an issue as I can make this into another section of battle damage and paint it up accordingly…

Overall…very happy with how it looks and can now start the detail painting :+1:

9 Likes

Like that camo. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks DV …once it gets a few washes and a filter over it that will tone it right back :+1:

Fantastic job there John, sharp distinctive camo.

1 Like

Camo looks top notch! Great Job!

1 Like

Looks great! One of my favorite tiger schemes

1 Like

Many thanks Mead @Mead93 , Matt @SSGToms and @Floridabucco glad you like how it looks.
Did a bit of detailing tonight. Mostly the tools on the front and the exhaust stacks (again lol). Also gave the the wheels their bare metal finish and same for the sprocket teeth and idlers.

Going to do the tracks tomorrow with the MIG track wash then highlight metal on metal or worn areas with Vallejo oily steel and steel pigments…

6 Likes

Did the track wash

You can see the wash better once it dries.

In a bit of a quandary…the vehicle tools and recovery ropes and veh jack.

Were the Tigers cam painted at the factory or in the field. I’m thinking at the factory and the tools would probably not be fitted so in their normal colours. In the field painting, the tools had more chance of being left on the vehicle ? And cammed ?

On the published pictures of the King tigers being field painted, the tools and recovery ropes are clearly on the wagon …

Would the jack be ok left bare metal ot dunkelgelb all over ? Thoughts ?

2 Likes

Dunklegelb.

1 Like

Congrats, very nice camo! That Tiger reminds me of Will Fey’s tank in Normandy.

1 Like