Look What the Tide Washed Up! (Model Shipwrights)

Couple of parcels turned up over the last week.

Really liking the Flyhawk kits, more will follow!
Five star USS Washington pe set was ½ price couldn’t turn that one down, brushes well you can never have enough, silicone brushes, water foam and ice sparkles for doing water line bases, also got some snow sprinkles coming in another parcel.

5 Likes

Nice haul - I havent tried out the Ice sprinkles for water foam yet. What are you thoughts on ease of use and realistic appearance?

David

Hi David, I haven’t tried it yet but been watching a few YouTube videos where they show how it’s done, including using the stuffing from a soft toy, although taking a knife to a soft toy seems wrong :pleading_face:

First up though I need some bases, I do have a build started which I should put up but well my builds are not quick and can go weeks without anything happening. I may just do a thread and add builds as they happen like I did on the old site.

Couple Christmas goodies. Have wanted the Graf spee for a while! Don’t know much about the Indianapolis kit but it seems to get favorable reviews

Merry Christmas everyone!

3 Likes

Mead nice purchases, the Indy is a nice kit, I managed to pick up the limited edition version a couple of years ago which came with the Jap sub.

Well the me Santa (I purchased) presents arrived but I’ve been having issues posting photos, looks like my iPad is now too old and the Kitmaker software doesn’t like the old OS on the iPad. Thankfully I’m at work today and no one else is in so I have access to the work PC.
So the Flyhawk Gneisenau deluxe kit is a bit hard to find so I got the standard kit with the PE set separate, that’s 8 sheets of PE!

Then I saw these and they jumped into the basket

And something that some may have seen online ads for:

Fits and feels comfortable in the hand plus most airbrush brands will fit via the adaptor, the two bits with the red rings are the batteries which they claim will each power the compressor for 30mins so an hour of airbrushing and of course are rechargeable via the included USB lead.

4 Likes

I see more and more modelers using these airbrushes on You-Tube. Let us know your thoughts about them after you have some experience with it.

Mark :beer:

Nice haul! The Gneisenau is a cool looking ship!

I inspected the Indy and the molding looks pretty nice! Might do here for the sunken ship campaign

I’ve seen a lot of hard to find 1/350 IJN vessels in this topic making me very jealous, so I thought I post my latest hall from Japan including…

Tamiya Tone

Hasegawa Heian Maru - I had no idea this one was so hard to find these days

Monochrome Suzutsuki - another rare acquisition I did not think I would ever find for a reasonable price

Hasegawa Yukikaze 1940 - to be converted into Yugumo class Asashimo with the help of Model Art issue 716

Fine Molds Amagiri

Foresight Auxiliary Submarine Chaser Type 1 - I had no idea this kit even existed

Genuine Model Yamato Linoleum Walkways

Tamiya Railings set

Model Art Vessel Special Issues 13, 30, 37, 41

Maru Special 55

4 Likes

Can never have enough reference material - newest edition to the library.

David

5 Likes

Hey all,

The postie finally dropped off some more crew for future build. Beaver Corporation, (company that collaborated with Very Fire on the IJN Taiho) has four 1/350 figure kits - only three were available when I purchased.

I took a quick glance at them last night and while they look nice I think there might be a scaling issue - but will know more in a couple of days when I can compare them to ION or the North Star Figures. Sorry for just the box pictures for now but I will provide more photos in a couple of days.

Only other observations is the set with IJN crew and Reppu only comes with one aircraft and the AA crew set has the gunners molded in the seat for the AA gun.

David

3 Likes

Ahoy Mates… yeah that was lame. HA HA.

This will begin once I read the instruction.

DSC02664 (Small)

DSC02673 (Small)

DSC02665 (Small)

DSC02667 (Small)

DSC02668 (Small)

DSC02669 (Small)

DSC02670 (Small)

DSC02666 (Small)

Anyone who has always wanted to build a wooden ship, yet was reluctant, well here is your chance to follow along.

Huge thanks to Sunward Hobbies for sending this kit. Please visit their website at https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/ and consider supporting a family owned and run hobby store.

Ok, deep breath and slowly exhale. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Given your skills this should be educational to follow along with its construction. A few years when I built ships I bought the AL Swift 1805 kit which is meant to be a basic starter build for wooden boats. It’s a Virginian pilot boat. I never got started and lives somewhere in the stash. 690 mm looks a good size.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

@RollTide: David I would be glad if you could take a small documentation about these figure sets as I am also interested to buy them but I am worried now by your presumed scaling issues.

Thank you

Thomas

Thanks Michael, then I’ll put some extra effort into this one.

@Black_sheep - Ask and you shall receive - last night I opened the plastic bag and removed one of the figures. In comparison to the North Star IJN Pilot figure the Beaver Corp is a tad bit bigger but in my opinion they are comparable in size. Here is a pictures from the comparison.

The Beaver figure is one of the pilots that is seated with his right arm hanging over the side of the cockpit. Granted the pilots head seems a tad bit larger than the North Star pilots head I think it is close enough to account for the difference between individual people.

Ill paint this figure up tomorrow and provide a better picture.

Here is a photo of the one Reppu that is included in the kit

Other than the molded canopy I think it looks pretty good. Removing the extra mold from the front of the wings might be a little problematic but what fun is a kit without challenges!!!

Here is the full sprue from the IJN Pilot and Reppu set.

A bit closer picture - the details ae a little washed out but that was the best picture I could get.

All in all the Beaver IJN Pilot and Reppu set offers some great poses that are overlooked by North Star. I have the Tori IJN Pilot set as well and will try to conduct a comparison with those tomorrow as well.

Hope that helps everyone.

David

1 Like

This guy pulled into port.

My plan

4 Likes

Just got some 1/700 3D printed light AA weapons and some crew the bottom ‘sprue’ (note the crew are printed head down)
From the left, Quad 40mm, single and twin 20mm, twin 40mm and German light AA

1 Like

HMS Ajax. It’s full hull. There are no coming soon pictures on the box

and from among the basement cobwebs where it had been gathering dust since the late 70"s

It was very cheap, less than a dollar, at a closing LHS and NO!!! I am NOT interested in any of the newer versions by whomever. I consider that class to be singularly unattractive ships so I have paid as much as I would pay for one. I may build it in tandem with the Ajax

1 Like

Some goodies for the fleet.

WEM Buckley class PE and infini oerlikons for the USS underhill im gonna build

WEM Graf spee PE and BCM 3.7 flak sk c30 for my Graf spee

And quad 40 mm bofors for my Indy build

The bcm guns look fantastic, have some more coming next week for the Indy oerlikons, underhill bofors and the Graf spee single flak guns,

2 Likes

I confess I did it again despite promising the wife not to buy any ship again ever…in the near future… or so…

Many friends asked me “why you don´t make a Bismarck, everyone knows her?!”. Actually exactly that was the reason I had no much interest to build a Bismarck because everyone seems to have her in different scales somewhere in their own stock.

The situation changed when I learned that there is a new substantial upgrade set from Infini for it and the new chinese company Wu La are offering very nice and delicate 3d printed sets for it.

The last impulse was a discount weekend at my preferred online shop and I decided to buy the base kit with everything else to build someday my ultimate Bismarck. So far therefore these new items just entered my port :yum:

The huge base kit for a reasonable price

Infini upgrade set for a discounted price, too

Many 3D printed parts from Wu La which will improve the details even more

And as there are the blastbags missing in all these kits I also purchased VeryFire´s upgrade set with resin blastbags for all main and secondary turrets. Its the only game of 1:350 scale blastbags but they are nicely done

Ahh as I told you the truth my peace of concience finally return slowly :sweat_smile:

Cheers

Thomas

3 Likes