Look What the Tide Washed Up! (Model Shipwrights)

Well it was featured in the news here then I found a copy which the postie must of been cursing me for yesterday as this is one weighty book.

3 Likes

Ok donĀ“t tell my wife but I also got some new kits in the fishing net :yum: . I told her not to buy anything new in the next future but, well, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak :pensive: I really do feel guilty

After a half year of extensive searching I had the chance to get my hands on the only Peter the Great battlecruiser suddenly someday available at Hobbyeasy and I didnĀ“t hesitated to pull the trigger about this one. 5Star super upgrade set for this one is also on its way toward my harbourā€¦

Then there was this seller at Ebay who offered a chance to get two interesting ships at a price I canĀ“t deny so I also raised the fingers here :disappointed_relieved:

This corvette together with the upgrade set was bought for about 30 EURO and will probably be build as the F114 Prottasha from the Bangladesh Navy in active present service.

And the (really :pray:) last aquisition was the very nice mixed media Offshore Patrol Vessel from RB Productions for about 55 EURO. It will presumably be build as the P62 flagship of the current Maltese Maritim Squadron

Cheers

Thomas :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

3 Likes

@Littorio Luciano, a nice book youā€™ve acquired there: I do like the Anatomy of the Ship series and one day hope they re-issue the Victorious editionšŸ•µļøā€ā™€ļø
@Black_sheep Thomas, I make similar agreements about not buying new kits with my wife, but Iā€™m sure I would have a moment of weakness too, if the USS Enterprise (cv-6) came up at the right priceā€¦
Looking forward to seeing you apply your formidable skills to the Piotr Velikiy :cowboy_hat_face:

Some good hauls there gents!

@Russelle Lord, I know what you mean about CV-6. I have actually found it at a semi good price a few times but havent pulled the trigger. I just think about my backlog and my logical head stops me. At some point my heart will outweigh my head.

2 Likes

@McRunty I hear you Rory! Throw in the AM set from Infini and the wood decking and suddenly the appeal is gone, especially given it will be around 10 years before I clear the stash in order to make a start on her :unamused:

When I get this kit (and I will get her) I may got for the deck but I think I may skip the extensive AM PE. I am swiftly hitting the ā€œless is moreā€ part of modelling. As long as I have railings I am fairly happy.

1 Like

You might be onto something there, Rory :cowboy_hat_face: I too, am wary of protracted build plans ATM, preferring rather to complete more builds than to super detail just one :grin:

Delivered todayā€¦ very excited about this one!

Tamiya IJN Mogami 1942 version, and the Gakken Pictoral No. 38 (wish me luck with the translations).

Iā€™ve been eyeing an IJN build for some time, but it took a fair bit of research before I was confidant to pull the trigger. The last floaty thing I built was the old Lindberg HMS Hood when I was 8.

-Marty

3 Likes

Nice. I remember building the same kit around that age tooā€¦ It was, for want of a better word, ā€œfunā€ :smiley:

1 Like

At that rate the stash will be sinking along with the house HA HA. Great stuff there!

Very nice indeed!

Also to not break the bank. I just priced out the Tamiya USS Enterprise CVN-65 and will all the PE and AM I would need it came to a minimum of $450 :open_mouth: :fearful:

Donā€™t get me wrong, it will look amazing and be a centerpiece of my modern USN fleet but my days of dropping a car payment on a single model kit are over.

2 Likes

@McRunty right there with you Rory: I priced out cv-5/6 with all AM PE and wood deck and it came to 700 clams Australian, not including paints: thatā€™s the equivalent of around 20 aircraft kits (1/72) including AM and paint, or put another way, half a mortgage payment :astonished:

@Russelle Watch this space. There has been a developmentā€¦ :smiling_imp:

1 Like

It wouldnā€™t happen to be something to do with a certain famous flat top with a Big E would it? :hugs:

Maaaaayyyyybbeeeeeeeeeee :nerd_face:

1 Like

@McRunty Ooo! :crossed_fingers::slightly_smiling_face:

I think I should start saving my pennies :grin:

@Russelle

I just want to start off by saying that fate is a funny old thing. Just as I say I cannot afford the Big-E, fate steps in and lends a hand. I tend to trawl through ebay on a regular basis just to see what is out there and also to keep track of the going rate of kits. Literally a week after posting this I was doing a late night look through when I saw an auction for the Big E, starting at $100 with 0 bids and ending in less than 7 hours at 0800 in the morning. I figured why the hell not and put in a bid. Woke up to find that other people had bid but no one had matched my max. So I ended up a brand new 1/350 USS Enterprise CVN-65 for the sum total of $147. $170 with shipping.

Brand new the ship retails at $200 so it still a bargain. But what I have failed to mention is that it came with an additional 4 sets of aircraft. (About $12-$15 each) as well as the Gold Medal Models PE Set which sells for $70+

Thats a hell of a deal! I still have some more AM to get. I have already ordered the Starfighter decal and island decal set. I still need another set of aircraft and I am tossing around getting a dedicated aircraft decal set.

I am undecided if I am going to buy additional PE. The Eduard sets 3, 4 and 5 are very extensive but they are pricey and they also duplicate a lot of what I already have. We shall see.

Now just to find time in my build schedule to get cracking on with herā€¦

3 Likes

:dizzy_face: :open_mouth:
Awesome deal!!!

She should fit right into the Great Canadian Campaign. Just need to replace the big 65ā€™s on her deck with Maple Leafā€™s right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like