M1 Abrams Reforger 83

Yes, perfect.

Yes ugh…I forgot - it was also issued with wet weather boots.they slipped on over your combat boots.

…or its official classification? so i can do some research on the web for some images

great, thanks a lot Dan, so this parka was without pants, the kit was parka and boots?
maybe this boots?

That’s the boots yes. I think the boots were originally intended as NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) boots, not sure.

1 Like

Some guys would actually wear sneakers under them because they were more comfortable and easier to move around in, provided they didn’t get caught lol!

2 Likes

thanks a lot guys

Out in the field it was rare to wear BDUs in my experience.
During ARTEPs you wore MOPP suits.
During gunnery you wore coveralls.

There was a separate set of wet weather pants along with these boots.

1 Like

…so we can have guys wearing the parka and the boots only but not the pants?

Yah, the American soldier in the field wears whatever uniform parts they were ordered to wear and made them the most comfortable. You can have BDU pants, rubber overboots and the parka or poncho or whatever.

2 Likes

Yes, that can happen

1 Like

The green wet weather boots replaced the old black “galoshes” that went back maybe all the way to WWII. The MOPP gear originally came with some horrible overboots that everybody hated. In the 1980s (Iam not sure the exact year) the Army authorized the green boots to be used in place of the black NBC (MOPP gear) boots.
Besides the regular wet weather parka and pants, there used to be a set of bib style coveralls in the same rubberized material.

s-l300

Here is a shot of the boots.

And here is a little youtube video about them: US military NBC chemical over boots 3 types - YouTube
Ken

2 Likes

Yes those black lace up NBC boots were horrible. You are right now that I remember; we were eventually authorized to wear the green boots with our MOPP suits. MOPP stands for Mission Oriented Protective Posture by the way. There were 4 levels I believe, not including a level zero. Not 100% sure about all this …

1 Like

I bought those bibs and the black buckle boots at Military Clothing and they were much better than issue

hi all, question about the straps for the crew gear on the turret, there standard straps or does the crew use what they have at their disposal? And if so, what are these straps like?

Are you talking about the straps on the very back of the turret? They were a specially made set of interconnected (sewn together) straps that came with the tank. We called them Spaghetti Straps. They really sucked and everybody hated them, they were not adjustable and only held a few small items like sleeping bags.

2 Likes

oh no, but thanks anyway, i’m referring at the straps used to keep in place the extra gear on the turret top, I found a photo but I can’t understand how the hook is made

OK, but if this is from 1983 you will need those straps anyway.
The strap in your photo is a “ratchet strap” type of cargo strap, normally used to secure large items on trucks. the hook looks like this:image image

The ratchet part, use to tighten the strap, looks like this:

1 Like