M1A2 SEP v3 Abrams - Pictures out there?

Thank you! Never noticed the slotted mud flaps before.

1 Like

Are the folding sprocket shields just a maintenance feature or do they serve some other purpose?

Sorry, no clue.

I have to confess, my minor hue impairment makes it impossible to see the two-color camouflage pattern on these new Abrams. Any images out there that show it more distinctly? (I know, if I can’t see it, then the camo is doing it’s job, right??)

The T72M2 or T-72B used to be nick named “Dolly Parton” or “Super Dolly Parton” due to extra turret armor.

The M1A2 w/extra turret armor needs a similar nick name…

1 Like

You can see the two-tone M1A2SEPv3 camouflage here. The tops appear Medium Green whereas the sides appear Olive Drab.

DVIDS is the official Defense Department’s media website for public release information.

1 Like

Looks very “Cheeky”

2 Likes

The frontal turret armor is also to balance the added weight of the Trophy and other tacked-on turret systems.

1 Like

Dolly Parton front + junk in the trunk = Kardashian?

3 Likes

The Double D

1 Like

The Forrest green color on the new paint scheme:
front finders
rear bustle rack
sprockets and roadwheels
left side rear grill door
gun mantle
Top of the forward hull
Things that pultrude from the turret roof.
Most the gun tube and all of the top side of the gun tube.
Turret roof

Dark brownish green:
side skirts
turret sides and their attachments The turret side storage box tops have the green brown color.
turret front
some of the gun tube undersides
hull rear
front of hull.
generator in rear bustle rack

Unknown :pensive:

back deck
rear of turret

3 Likes

Don’t know why but here’s how.

1 Like

I could see it if you were in a thick mud environment but…I don’t know why the “upgrade”

That brown green color will be fun to try and mix to match…… maybe the old Helo Drab, if only testers was still making it. Some version of OD will be the base I imagaine.

As I understand (and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong), those tanks are just prototypes and the production variants don’t have those “bulges” on the turret face.

Model Master (RIP) had a Wehrmacht “Chocolate Brown” that, if lightened, seems to be a nice match for that shade.

So just to follow up on my OP, it appears that to date, there is not a single M1 assigned to a line unit that is fitted with the Trophy system. Correct? So far, all I’ve seen are trials / prototype vehicles.

That seems like it might be a good choice. Read the portion below the photos.

And the roof is green, as you can see.

You are correct. They were M1A2 SEP v2 test vehicles where the bulges were added to balance the turrets w/Trophy fitted. Actual M1A2 SEP v3s have the added front armor incorporated into the turrets smoothly and have rebalanced the turret to allow the Trophy system to be added.

Trophy is like TUSK, it is fitted as needed and really only in combat. You may see some used in training scenarios, but it is not fitted on a regular basis.

2 Likes

Damnit, I missed that on my scratch build! lol