M577A2 Questions and Build

Exactly what it is. I also intend to build an M1068 using the Legend M1068 update set…at some point.

2 Likes

6 Likes

At the end of the day, it should look like this:

https://m136.de/combined-resolve-xii-2019/#iLightbox

M1068

Andreas

4 Likes

And now, there’s the issue with the T-150 tacks.

2 Likes

I have that set and was going to raid it for PE bits for my build. However I decided to leave it for an M1068 down the road.

Some weathering today and now it’s going on the shelf until the finishing touches arrive.

6 Likes

OK, not familiar with the M1068, it was after my time. Does it have a tent on the back, or that attaches to the back?
Ken

1 Like

Looks like a yes on the tent extension

3 Likes

Yes, it is called a Standard Integrated Command Post System (SICPS). It is a series of rubberized canvas tents w/their own support systems and separate walls, tops, gutter, etc. They attach to the back of the M577A2/M1068 with rails that tighten down. A bunch can be connected together in different configurations to make a larger command post.

5 Likes

Damnit, now I want to build one :joy:

2 Likes

Fat Frog to the rescue.

2 Likes

We had a box long metal box, used on the M110 8in gun, they hung on the rear spade. They were a great stowage box for all the odds and ends like small tools, spare parts, cables etc. especially for the generator. It also kept that stuff out of the crew compartment, since as an FDC track we had enough stuff and people inside.

The Mountain Dew case was a joke, but my chief was a Dew-aholic and he stashed bottles everywhere. The 577 had spots to stash pogy bait.

2 Likes

Mountain Dew seems to fit the vibe. As you say, the Queen Mary had plenty of Stash spots.

What’s that cable drum on the back panel? I’d like to scratch that.

1 Like

Should be a WD1 wire reel. Same as on the back of the gun. On M109a2/3 we ran wire to each gun as a back up for the digital fire mission info. The primary was FM but there were integration issues with the old fire control box and the Sincgars radios, and the platoon was in close- maybe 50-75 yds apart so wire was a good backup. All that has gone away with the M109a6 and fire control done on the gun vs. an FDC.

1 Like

So what exactly held the wooden floor panels to the side of a 577? I’ve been scouring the internet for about an hour and can’t find a thing, and I don’t see any sort of brackets or anything to give the slightest clue. Can’t just be ordinary tie downs?

This M1068 was a first batch M113 and kept the old thin headlight guards!

2 Likes

Hm, needs a scratch build - or 3D print version.

1 Like

Scratching through spares tiday, I came up with 2 sets of AS-1729 antennas with 2 MX6707 bases.
Are these the correct units for the rear and middle-mounting positions on my M577?

TIA

1 Like

Yes, those are the right antennas for an M577A2.

2 Likes

Excellent news Gino. Another step forward.

1 Like

Antennae installed. Nearly complete now.

3 Likes