M60/A1/A3 in IDF Service Reference Thread

Testing the antiskid, I think it looks ok now but with all the primer, paint and varnish layers it might look too flat. :thinking: :thinking: :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

I had to prime some areas to see if I was satisfied with the result. I also primed some of the Meng model to compare. I think I will go on with this method, since both model surfaces look similar. If needed I might get away with the depth of the antiskid by doing a wash so as to add shadows/depth.

If I was not doing the Meng model I might have used a more coarse antiskid. Now, I do not want to add antiskid to the Meng one since the surface detail is too shallow and there is already molded a rough texture. And I also want to be able to display the models one next to the other, so doing a much more coarse antiskid texture on the one is something I want to avoid.

5 Likes

The primed anti skid looks great :+1:

1 Like

Meng kit with Academy mantlet shield. Antiskid done on the Academy shield (some fine tuning required after the primer dries)

AFV Club/Academy build hull antiskid done

And started slowly on the turret parts

7 Likes

Anti skid is looking very good… Lovely method as well…

3 Likes

Antiskid done on the entire vehicle. Next is primer and corrections where needed

9 Likes

Very nice mate. Really looks the part now with the antiskid done. Totally changes the look … Super work :+1::+1:

Many thanks, you and Israel are great support! :saluting_face: :saluting_face:

Antiskid primed, I am happy with the look for now, some minor corrections needed to clear some tiny areas around details and that is it.

6 Likes

Credit where credits due mate… you’re the one putting in the hours and all the hard work :+1:

This is coming along superbly. Love that antiskid effect.

1 Like

It is a great effect…usually use Rustoleum for mine, but the method Nikos uses is definitely going to get a try … It’s very very clever :+1:

1 Like

Just wondered Nikos, and bear in mind I’m fairly ignorant when it comes to the accuracy and quality of available kits of IDF Magach’s, is the Academy Magach 7 a “good” kit?

The main issue with all of the Academy kits of IDF M60 variants is the hull/suspension. That is why I used the AFV Club hull for the Magach 6B Gal Batash, that is what I am planning to do with the Magach 7C build, which might be next.

The hull parts are of the very old and poorly designed M60A1 kit, which was a copy of the Tamiya M60A1. The IDF specific parts are pretty decent.

So, sprues A, B, C, E are not good or average at best and sprues S,T,U,V are the better parts of the kit.

3 Likes

Thanks for that Nikos, very helpful. I look forward to your Magach 7c build at some point. Meanwhile there is much here for me to learn and admire.

Had not been in a modelling mood lately, mostly checking for references and details into projects but I finally managed to add the final detail on the turret (the cables for the .50 cal) and clean some of the details that the antiskid had covered.

Now it is time to prime.

8 Likes

Nice that you’re back at it Nikos with a welcome update, that turret really stands out with all the extra detailing have added :+1:

2 Likes

Beautiful detail work on that turret. Should look good under primer!

1 Like

Primer on both kits, the Meng in the one with the tracks on and the less pronounced antiskid

10 Likes

Both look excellent Nikos

1 Like

Nikos, you seem to set the bar even higher with every build!

Now, normally I wouldn’t mention this (nor do it myself), but these kits are so well detailed, I think I need to: to enhance realism even further, you might add slings to those beautiful Glilons. We used to sort of just wrap them around the rifles before placing them on their racks.

3 Likes