M915A3 Freightliner

Hi Gino,

I happen to have operated the M915A3 while doing convoy operations in Iraq towards the end of OIF/OEF. I can send you a bunch of reference pictures of the armored version of the truck. As a heads up during the mission the truck went through 3 different armor configurations, one of which we dubbed the frankenstien.

I am also currently trying to convert the M915 Trumpeter kit to match the M915A3. I am designing the outer armor plating via Fusion 360 as I’m finding it easier to detail than scratchbuilding.

Also a quick heads up we now have a fully armored M915A3 on display at the Airforce Enlisted heritage museum at Montgomery, AL.

Looking forward to connecting

Kyle

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Kyle, that’s a sweet rig you’ve got there !

Thank you for the welcome.

Lots of memories behind the wheel of those trucks

Welcome. I would be interested to see how your CAD turns out.

So far I’ve got the side armor mocked up along with some of the details of the base kit swapped over to match the update setup of the M915A3

My goal is to have this completed by the 19th of July so I can hopefully enter it into IPMS Nats.

2 Likes

NIce. Let me know if you are interested in selling parts to convert it.

1 Like

Definitely will! Once Ive worked all the details out I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

@yellow_snocone Kyle, nice to have you here. I too would be internet in your reference and 3D parts if possible.

I have a italeri 1/24 Freightliner that I am going to convert into M915A3 and work my way to Trumpeter kit as well. I have been contemplating on how to do the additional armor. However, with 3D technology it sure will be easier to achieve this. It was the first truck I drove in the states. So, I am biased toward it :grin:

1 Like

@Stryker45 I have that kit was well. Currently everything is being designed for the 1/35 scaled trumpeter kit but I it shouldnt be to much more work to match it up to the 1/24 Italeri FD120 kit.

The armor is going to be layered in sections with keyways so they interlock together as one. This will help with printing so the details remain intact and should making building the kit easier.

1 Like

Here are some more reference pictures

2 Likes

Kyle, sounds like you know what you are doing with your 3D design. Are you also designing any interior detail? What about the cargo basket on top of the cab? What about all those extra lights?

Just out of curiosity, did any of these rigs carried any weapons?

The answer is Yes all the above haha. The kit will match every detail of the exterior of the truck so lights, roof rack, rhino (black box attached the bumper), Warlock and front guard. As for the interior I havent decided if I will be matching it or just using what comes in the kit. More than likely I will be updating the interior for the larger 1/24 scale kit.

As for weapons these trucks never had any weapon systems unlike the older 5 tons that were converted into Gun trucks before the days of the MRAP. The only weapons on board were the rifles the driver and TC carried.

1 Like

Well, Shazam. My replies to your yes is…

1 Like

Btw, most of the photos I have seen shows all 10 tires are steer tires which in civil trucking is mostly on steering wheels. I believe they are cheaper. Most drive tires have different tread patterns.

Is that what you have seen in your experience driving in Iraq?

Yup the reasoning there is if your steer tires go flat or are damaged any of the other tires can be swapped with it. All the tires will have the same tread pattern even the trailer tires.

1 Like

Excellent pics and interesting post. I have a second M915 on the shelf ‘cos I need the trailer for a tandem axle version and now I know what to use the tractor for.

To the OP, Please contact me when youve got those upgrades in production?

1 Like

For what its worth, I did an 3D model of the M915A3 back in 2015, one day I’m going to finish it and 3d print it.

m915a3-13
m915a3-14

3 Likes

Very nice Vince.

Any more progress on the 3D armored cab?

Just wanted to add bit of information regarding 2 hole rims. If anyone beside myself is thinking about doing this in 1/24 then there is a 3D printed company called Kootenay 3d Model Parts has these in production now. They can be found via Facebook or website. :grin:

2 Likes