MAZ-7410 Tractor + Trailer from Trumpeter

Like most things, it has it place. A WW2 tank during WW2 most likely not, a modern carc painted vehicle a few years in service again not typically the place (the documented Marine M1A1 on sea deployment being the exception). A third party retired NATO/Warsaw pact vehicle in or out of mechanical working service would be most appropriate use of the style in my opinion.

Agreed. It is great for abandoned wrecks, but not much else.

1 Like

Cannot find it now but there was YouTube video posted on the site of a retired German 7-10 ton Man truck hauling gear in bfe Middle of Africa that was my thought on in service vehicle that the style would work.

I totally agree with both Tank and Heavy - that style of painting best serves when attempting a derelict vehicle.

heliman ~ On your weld beads do you apply the small Evergreen rod with solvent and then “distress” the rod with a knife or anything like that?

@165thspc exactly how usually w a 11 blade the tips broken off so its like a small chisel tip

1 Like

Notes on my Matte Clear and Soft Pastel “Dust” Fetishes:

In the photo studio (circa 1975) we had three “techniques” for bringing out detail in the black parts of electrical circuit breaker equipment.
(20 years with Square D Company, 8+ of those as a catalog studio photographer.)
Please bear in mind this was all pre-computer, pre-digital cameras and pre-Photoshop!

• Reflect a spot light off the black surface. (This is just a single cushion pool shot but done with a spotlight. - Angle of light in equals angle of light out. How place your camera in the path of that departing light angle.)
  • Dissemble and repaint the black part a medium dark gray.
  • Blow a “dusty” powder onto just the black part to help lighten and show more detail.

The Pastel dust takes the place of “blowing a fine dust onto the object.” (Usually finely ground cigarette ash back in the day - of which there was no shortage.) After a few years I came up with a fourth solution: Spray the glossy black surface with a very dry coating of a dulling spray. This breaks up that mirror smooth black surface. That “tooth” made by the dry matte spray catches the light from our broad box studio lights and actually made the black breakers appear more a dark gray and allowed the camera to “see” into the dark details of those black objects.

1 Like

Sorry ~ it has been a while since I posted here. ~ Been concentrating on Railroad Modeling to be honest.

With all that is going on (and the fact we are seeing a lot of the very vehicles we so happily model here) on the Evening News of late, please consider giving to one or another of the Ukrainian relief services.

The link below seems like one way that should strike close to home for all modelers AND will get your money quickly to the right people “where the rubber meets the road!”

Please all: Please consider donating to a/any Ukrainian relief fund.

Here is an easy way that strikes close to the hearts of all modelers.