Me 109 - yes, an aircraft, in 1/35 scale. No, it’s not April Fools Day

Of course I just had to take a quick trip over to Large Scale Planes :rofl: They can’t quite decide between burning at the stake or drawing & quartering at this point. They are taking this personal.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, sounds like some entertaining reading :books: for sure!

Large Scale Planes has some members with entertaining comments on 1/35 scale aircraft. After reading the agnst, I will buy two or three Border 109’s just on principle of supporting Border.

2 Likes

LSP members upon learning of a 1/35 Me-109…

6 Likes

Brilliant!

Modelers comedy right there! :laughing:

Gee…that would be almost as funny if Dragon or Tamiya announced a new line of 1/32 armor kits! :joy:
:smiley:

1 Like

I’d be happy to have a new 1/32 Panther D to go with my one Monogram 1/32 Panzer IV from 1970. Better yet lots of new 1/25 scale armor to go with my old 1/25 Tamiya Tiger.

Tamiya started doing very nice 1/48 armor kits many years ago, I don’t recall hearing any armor modelers wailing & gnashing teeth over that.

1 Like

Tamiya’s 1/48 kits were only a half-hearted attempt, and required a LOT of AM and PE. I believe they were for kids as starter kits. Rainbow/AFV, and Bronco made a limited amount of MUCH better kits! And there was some ridicule from the 1/35th crowd.
:smiley:

Had to go over and take a look… geez, I’ve never built a plane before, but now I kinda want to out of spite. Not like it was a subject that hasn’t seen plastic before either, would be a little understandable if that were the case. It’d be like getting up in arms over a 1/32 Tiger. Who cares, there’s already a million of them in 1/35.

1 Like

There wasn’t any ridicule in among the armor modelers I’m familiar with. Nor was there much interest in 1/48 armor. Live and let live, if someone else is into a different scale no worries.

Nope, I haven’t heard any ridicule either regarding 1/48 armor. Personally, if the stuff had been around in the late 80’s when I decided to “standardize” my scales for building, and if there had been a good selection of modern armor as well as WWII, I would have gone all 1/48.

“Were”? Tamiya just announced a new T-34/85. In any case, the list of 1/48 scale Tamiya AFV kits and their and related accessories consists of 98 items. I wouldn’t call that a “half-hearted” attempt.

No kit “requires” AM and/or PE. That’s a matter of personal preference. Having built two of their 1/48 AFV kits, I’ve absolutely fell in love with them. Since then I’ve added a few more to the stash. They’re beautifully engineered, well detailed, gem-like kits giving great results OOB.

Maybe you mean the 1/48 “Advancing Minitanks” series? The 1/48 scale “Military Miniature Series” kits, while easy to assemble, are not starter kits.

Not that I know of. What’s to ridicule a 1/48 AFV kit anyway? 1/48 is hands down the most popular scale for aircraft modelers. Tamiya has some nice combo sets of an aircraft and a vehicle in 1/48.

2 Likes

Could I have a link? Id love to see what there saying myself! :laughing:

Here ya go,
https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/87968-border-model-135-new-bf-109g-6-and-ju-87g/

1 Like

Sweet thanks! It is defiantly an entertaining discussion… :laughing:
Here are some of the most entertaining comments:

You can stick those up your jumper.

No.

Breaking News! Tamiya announces a new range of 1/32 scale armor and military figure kits. Panic among AM manufacturers as they rush to upscale thousands of PE and resin sets. Riots erupt at local hobby stores and model conventions as extremest modelers battle it out regarding what is the “true” scale.

Yeah, because it was so common to see Bf109s and Panzers operating together on the ground. Happened every day. Yep. Smart move.

Stupid and annoying decision
i hope they sell zero units I’m afraid as punishment

The Bronco 1/35 Storch at least made some sense, but this…

Stupid is as stupid does.

Am i correct, that this is Large Scale Planes ie:- 1/32 scale and larger if so why are we even discussing 1/35 as its smaller on this site???

Wow, what a totally dumb idea.

Uhhhhh. Hard no.

Sandbox scale model for those who love to make propeller and machine gun noises, in their backyard sandbox! It’s 2021. We seemed to have survived so far, eh? Screw you B1.1.1.7! Rock on and rejoice you 1/35 scale geeks. Taka taka taka boom! Honey? Where did I put the BBQ lighter fluid!?!?!!!?!?

As you can see they are absolutely thrilled about this! :grin:

Oh this is too flippin’ funny!

3 Likes

Are few of those comments from Lenny Baxter the rabid Powder Puff Girl collector?

da8z0t4-10930513-a72c-43fa-8380-c3ce9752764d

1 Like

The reaction on LSP is perplexing.

One manufacturer a couple of years ago announced a 1/32 T-34/85 and it is was greeted with an " Oh, okay, wonder if they will sell".

Whereas LSP appears to be reacting with " AAAAAHHHHHHH"

I think some 1/32 kits would be welcome.

Regards jason

That’s right, somebody did announce a 1/32 T-34/85. Did it ever come out? I would have bought one. 1/32 armor has been around for decades. Anybody here remember the 1/30 scale armor kits? When Revell would re issue the old Monogram 1/32 kits, I would usually buy one for nostalgia’s sake, if no other reason. It’s kinda fun to build up those old kits with grown up skills and tools. And I would not mind seeing the 1/32 armor selection expanding. It’s a fond memory scale from boyhood.
The anti 1/35 aircraft kit bias reaction is amazing. And not in a good way. 1/35 helicopters are a natural pairing. Why not expand subject options to see if the market exists.