MikeyBugs 3D Design and Printing Ideas

Damn good-looking 3d printwork; maybe you’ll have to beef up that part of the frame, or maybe it was a one-off.

No I accidentally snapped it with a side cutter trying to get some supports underneath it off. I just need to be more careful.

Also some grenades:

And more pictures:

7 Likes

What do you guys think of an AK-12?

3 Likes

Nice. The cab looks great.

1 Like

Another “photog” item I would like to interest you in. The most often used movie camera by WWII Combat Photographers. The Bell & Howell; Filmo 16mm.
Production started in 1927 and continued up thru the 1960s. Seen here is the earliest model Filmo. There were only slight external production changes throughout the entire B&H production life of this camera.

Some later models did have a 3 lens turret head and i would suggest making both the single and the 3 lens models.

The camera above has been retro-fitted with the later folding wind-up key. The earliest models had both a non-folding T handled key as well as an optional crank handle. The folding key as seen here being the most common form during WWII.

Walter “Skippy” Halloran

GeorgeWood-165th-Sept44-normandie
George Wood

Jim_Bates_zpssewe1gey
Jim Bates

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do for the cameras. No promises though.

Recently, I’ve started on a few other projects. Here’s one. Still pretty early stages.

I also finally took some pictures of the LTAS parts that have printed successfully so far.

5 Likes

The LTAS cab is looking awesome.

Mike with the fantastic job you have already done with the Speed Graphic Camera I just cannot help but encourage you to do a “full set”

• Speed Graphic (in different forms)
  • Flash Unit
  • Film holders
  • Carry case
  • B&H Movie Camera
  • B&H Carry Case

I can measure the movie camera for you anytime you like. There is also the possibility of my mailing the camera to you for scanning. (Not sure you want to incur those shipping costs yet again but I am game if you are.)

Combat photographers usually worked in pairs; One stills guy and one movie guy plus a driver and a Jeep so a “full set” as described above would be more than appropriate.

p.s. The Speed graphic was the tough one and now that’s done. Everything else in the “set” is just fairly easy rectangular shapes with some surface details.

2 Likes

I’ll see what I can do. For now, I’m working on a few weapon sets that I’ve had in mind for a while.

Right now, a set of Colt M1911A1s is nearly finished. Just a few more pin details to add and then it’s done. These are actually 1:1 scale. I need to scale down to 1:35 but can also do 1:16 and anything in between. These were designed using a set of actual blueprints I found online. I have a couple more sets of blueprints for some other weapons so you’ll start to see more in a little while.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the spare magazines. :wink:

Of course. 12 per set! It’s just in the gun at the moment. That’s the other thing I need to do, the bullets for the magazines.

1 Like

Been a bit of a while since my last update. Been busy with the job, with the girlfriend and family holidays, and with a rush of printing. One of my printer heaters failed a few days ago so finding that wasn’t much fun. Otherwise, I finally got a design finished. Also for anyone who is waiting on their orders, I know, it’s been quite a while. I’m sorry it’s been taking so long. I will be getting a few out tomorrow but it has been a bit of busy past few weeks for me.

M1A1 carbine. Designed partially from a receiver blueprint and a stock blueprint.

Also the final render for the 1911s.

4 Likes

The M1A1 carbines, M1911 pistols, and AK-12 rifles are all active and available on my hobbylink shop.

https://hobbymarket.gr/en/upgrade/1585-1350-ak-12.html

https://hobbymarket.gr/en/upgrade/1586-135-colt-m1911.html

https://hobbymarket.gr/en/upgrade/1587-135-m1a1-carbines.html

I’m still working on some orders. Some of these prints are giving me trouble. I’ve decided to go back to the Wanhao resin on the Mono X 6k, my large printer, because I prefer the quality from that resin even if it is more finicky to work with. So now I need to get used to that resin again.

3 Likes

Big news! Another printer has arrived. I’ve been having problems with my Mono X 6k so I decided to try a newer, better specc’d printer. I’ll post more pictures later but for now, just look at the size difference in the build plates! The smaller is the Mono.

1 Like

And here’s the beast. Anycubic Photon M3 Premium. I didn’t realize just how large it is and it practically dwarfs my Mono X. Just a huge printer overall.

Edit: the M3 Premium is an 8k printer vs 6k for my older large one. Not too much of a difference, the pixel size is 28.5 vs 35 μm between them, but it could be a bit noticable in the amount of detail present. With this one, I can actually have smaller details render more than before and flat curves could be smoother with the smaller pixels. When I make room, I can post a comparison picture of the two.

2 Likes

This is the AK-12 off of the new printer.

And two pieces from the Larkspur set. Right was printed on the new 8k printer, the left on the Mono X 6k. While the differences are slight, I do see slightly better, more defined details from the higher resolution printer.

5 Likes

Regardless on what the directives were in the ETO the photographers usually had a 45 sidearm and also a carbine packed in the Jeep. Their driver would have a 45 and a Thompson.
Halloran (165th SPC) said they would stop first at an aid station to pick up weaponry before heading out on an assignment.

(More items that could be added to the "Photographer’s Set.)

p.s. a 45 in a leather holster would also be nice though there are already very nice holstered 45s in plastic with the US embossed on the leather.

Seen below: British made (or so I am told) 45 leather holster. This one has had many coats of Neat’s Foot Oil over time so it has lost it’ warm red/brown fresh natural color many, many years ago.

(Shown here with theatrical “prop” weapon.)

2 Likes

Mike, how’s it going?

The holster would be too much for my limited skilled. Scanned, though, it’s doable.

Anyone up for a Mauser 98k and stripper clips?

3 Likes

Ooh! That’s very nice…