MikeyBugs 3D Design and Printing Ideas

That scene is showing the loader helping the gunner boresight the gun.

With the boresight device inserted into guntube. The loader uses hand signals to motion the gunner to center mass of the boresight target. The gunner would view the hand signals while looking the the GAS ( Gunners Auxiliary Sight) and would manualy crank the gun up and down using the manual traverse and elevation handles.

2 Likes

Thanks to Michael Koenig for sending over the T-17, TS-9, and Colt holster. I got them all scanned and finished. I actually just cad’ed the T-17 because it was simple enough. Only took about an hour including all the measurements. Next comes actually printing all of this.

Here’s the T-17

Holsters in the Colt 45 set. Both empty and full.

And T-17 and TS-9 in the SCR-300 set.

More detail on the holsters.

4 Likes

Great QUICK work there. WOW!

Question: Can you show the 3 small (extremely tiny) acoustic holes in the center of the mouth piece of the T-17 or are they too small to be resolved in the 3D printing process at that scale?

p.s. The T-17 COULD be used with the BC-1000 but rarely was. The TS-9 (phone handset) was considered to be more practical / more functional (only requires one hand to operate) in field use. The T-17 lollipop mic was used most often with the tanker radios, the ship-to-shore beach radios (BC-654) and any of the larger truck mounted radio sets.

Reference the movie “Fury”.

PM-29 Remote Control Unit:
Again the TS-9 phone handset (with “WYE” cable and two 1/4 inch phone jacks) was used with the FOP (MR-29) remote control units.

BC-654 AM Ship-to-Shore beach radio:

For some modern reference on the BC-1000 and the phone style handset I would suggest the movie “Saving Private Ryan” and the scene where Miller is pinned down on the beach with his radioman right next to him (BC-1000 and handset) right before the radioman and the radio get blown to bits.
“We do not hold the beach, say again; we do not hold the beach!”

2 Likes

My order safely arrived today. Thank you Mike! As usual everything looks great. The Graflex cameras are amazing!

2 Likes

The cameras ARE amazing!

1 Like

A couple of interesting items seen at the Kentucky Military History Museum; Frankfort, Kentucky

WWI Barracks revolving gun rack - full of '03 Springfields, Garands and 1911s on top. DI could lock this rack securing all weapons.

Interesting anti-aircraft (I assume) multi-position low gun mount for the 50 cal.

And a couple more photos just to make your mouth water:

Weapon in center below is interesting '03 Springfield with semi-auto special 30 cal. (short round) Pedersen bolt invented near the end of WWI. Though thousands of these special bolts were made, at the end of the war they were ordered destroyed as being too cruel and vicious a weapon. The bolt could be changed out in a matter of seconds as the enemy advanced creating a semi-auto close defense weapon.
The only difference in the standard '03 Springfield was the addition on a ejector port cut into the receiver to allow ejection of the special cartridge.

The Museum amazingly has two of these special Pedersen bolts.
The item extending upward at a 45º angle is the weapon’s magazine. Placed at that angle to clear the gun sights.

Pedersen01

"03 Springfield with Pederson Ejector Cut-out:
My personal weapon.

Mike in case you are wondering why I am showing all this, it is to give you some possible additional alternative uses / offerings for your '03 Springfields and 1911s.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have any Springfields yet, but it is in the works.

Sorry I thought you did.

And here I thought your grenade launcher was built on a Springfield.
Oh well.

FYI ~ The majority of WWII sniper rifles were built on the '03. (Bolt action being more accurate than gas fed, I believe) Again reference “Saving Private Ryan” for the distinctive '03 Sharp Shooter.

th

Nope, the grenade launcher is on a Garand.

I realize that now.

I can certainly give you photos and measurements off mine but something tells me you have all that.
Just start with your Mauser CAD file and make slight alterations. After all that is what Springfield did.

Ok, Colt 1911 set is updated with new holsters. Price bump of $0.95 up to $7.67 to reflect the slightly longer print time and additional resin required.

3 Likes

So a bit of a late night update on my dislocated shoulder condition… I’m still out from work on disability. I don’t have a date yet but in the upcoming month(s) I will be undergoing surgery to repair the damage. But that also means that I won’t be able to print anything for between a few weeks to a month and a half. I’m going to try to work with the people running Hobby Market to keep my webshop open and visible but not allow orders during that time. I don’t want anyone ordering anything when I can’t fulfill the order. Until I have a date, I’ll finish up the open orders. After surgery, I’ll try to at least get back to my CAD work as soon as possible though.

3 Likes

Best of luck on a speedy recovery Mike.:+1::+1:

1 Like

I am sorry for your pain.

Thank you for the well wishes. For now, no pain though so I continue to work on prints.

Here’s the BC-… I mean the SCR-300 coming free from supports:

5 Likes

That BC/SCR back pack radio is amazing! The print quality and the detail is absolutely out of sight. (Well not actually, in reality is is right there for all to see!) Superb workmanship there!

I will order once phone handset is ready to go with.

(Just sent my only current such radio off to Allentown with the Mack NO.)

1 Like

The handsets are actually ready now. I have a full set already printed to test. I do want to reprint 2 of the SCR-536s because I finally can get the full antenna printed. I’m hoping I can offer it with the retracted/closed antenna and the full extended antenna.

And, because I was curious, I printed my M1 helmet offering in 1/16. Note the holes in the actual helmet and the surface errors between the netting. Unfortunately the mesh wasn’t perfectly aligned. At some point I’ll have to go back and try to realign it better. I can’t actually do much of anything about the surface problems, those are from the hole repair process by the program I use - the scanner wasn’t able to “see” the areas underneath the netting so those areas weren’t scanned as points, the program “fixed” it by extending the surrounding areas to fill the holes. I think I know a way around it, though, but it takes more scanning.

2 Likes

Not at all sure what your critisms are of your own work on the 1/16th scale helmet. Yes I see the wavy lines in the netting but you said you could fix those. As to the rest I dont see it. The transparency of the resin does let you see the netting from the inside of the helmet but I think a shot of gray primer especially on the inside would let us see your creation here so much better.

More of my perhaps, screwy ideas:

German and US Field Telephones.
I have the US but the German one belongs to a friend.

I think the German phone might just be a hot item.

It is doable.

I’ve been in contact with someone who runs a local reenactors group and he’s interested in letting me scan some of his collection and hopefully he can put me in contact with the rest of his group to scan some of their equipment, helmets, etc. I also did get a picture of field radio set up so that’s now on my radar.

Otherwise, here are some things I’ve been working on in my few day absence.
M24 Steilhandgranate Geballte Ladung:

M24 Steilhandgrante:

Winchester M1897 Trench Gun:

PPSh-41 with drum mags:

The Papasha with stick mags:

Walther P-38:

SC 50 bombs both with and without Jericho whistles:

4 Likes