MikeyBugs 3D Design and Printing Ideas

I think the 1919A4 in the M2 tripod is done. If anyone notices anything that needs work, don’t be afraid to call it out.

Finally finished the T&E mechanism with some blueprints from Irons Creations LLC

The whole scha-bang minus the belts and cans.

I forgot to mention. Here’s the straight charging handle vs the flower or petal type.

2 Likes

Now we just need a seated gunner and a gunner figures to go with.

2 Likes

Hopefully that’ll happen soon enough.

I’m the mean time, who likes experimental tanks that now only exist on paper and in pictures?

Yes, this is the upper hull of a T49 experimental tank destroyer. It lead to the T70 which ultimately became the M18 Hellcat. I’m finally able to print this kit about 4 years after I finished design work on it.

8 Likes

Here’s the M1919A4 on the tripod. This was a test print of the tripod before it was finished. I now have the finished tripod and T&E so I just need to fit everything together.

Here’s some field bags, (I think M1936?) that I scanned on the side of a half-track. I might not use the second bag, I don’t like the quality so I might rescan it.

Along with a water bucket to show what I see when scanning. Both raw and meshed views. The raw view is first.

And some housekeeping updates: I’ve been working with the Museum of American Armor here on Long Island to scan some of their collection of “stuff.” For the most part, it’s been bags and containers and various things but not vehicles. So if there’s anything in particular you want scanned, like headlights or stowage or anything else, let me know and I can let my contact at the museum know and they can set me up. I’ve already informed them that I’d like to scan their helmet collection. If nothing else, I can take measurement and pictures to help with CADing it.

3 Likes

4 more liters of resin. I started running low so had to get more. I really like this Wanhao water washable resin. Produces great detail and is pretty easy to work with. It also looks like I’ll have to break out my macro lens for the 1919 tripod.

1 Like

So I recently finished some US jerry cans for a water bucket I scanned.

2 Likes

Big ask here, would you be able to print a L2A1 AR bipod up and down? i need aboud 10 of each in 1/35
L2A1 a

1 Like

I was just going to suggest that you model one can as strapped into it’s mounting bracket. In my day I have thinned many a gas can bottom to get it to actually fit into the model mounting bracket. I also suggest you offer it with, and without the water bucket.

Any idea how common those canvas buckets actually were? Can’t recall seeing many in period pics, but they are almost mandatory on restored vehicles at shows!

I’d definitely second the idea of offerings both with and without…

2 Likes

Just as Tom indicated; We are all probably suckers for the canvas water bucket on our models. Either folded or open, it offers a small bit of extra detail and a splash of contrasting color to the model.

You might want to do a “open/empty” but slightly crumpled bucket to hang of the rear of our model vehicles. Also perhaps a bulging one full of water!

I originally had a molded plastic bucket here which was over scale. Came across this brass one at a hobby show and quickly substituted this metal one. Would have loved to have had one of you delicate resin canvas ones.

Tamiya offers a very nicely molded folded bucket in the add-on accessory CCKW detail set.

Even today you will sometimes see telephone linemen trucks and powerline service trucks carrying a heavy canvas “tool, bolt or nail” canvas bucket on their trucks. It is praised for its’ non-conductive electrical properties.

To this day Klein Tools (a supplier to the Utilities Market) still carries this item in their catalog.

CanasBucker

I’ll see what I can do. I haven’t found any blueprints except for the receiver.

I’m not sure but I’m going back to the museum tomorrow so I can definitely scan the strap on one without the bucket.

I’ll see if the museum has any spare water buckets. A full bucket might be difficult but I’ll see what I can do.

You might ask around to reenactors you know as the canvas bucket is a popular item to have in the encampment and reenactors tend to put things to their original intended purpose unlike Museums.

Another occasional use for the folded canvas bucket would be as part of the muzzle travel cover for your larger artillery pieces:

Here something similar is seen on the 240mm gun -
240mm8

And how I used one on my back dated AFV Club 155mm M1 canon -

I love the reflector and taillight details. I later added the power cord to the taillight and had it spiraling forward wrapping around the barrel. (Yes I already know about the incorrect lens color of the convoy light.)

Please Note:
I am not saying the actual canvas bucket was used as a travel cover on the larger gun barrels just that the appearance of the muzzle cover is similar to the bottom construction of the canvas bucket.

3 Likes

I scanned an open bucket… Lets just say that I need to rescan it. It did not come out good.

What do you guys think of this for a crushed jerry can? Too cartoon-y? Not too great? I’m trying to make some damaged jerry cans to add into the jerry can set.

And the M1919A4 is finished enough that I made a render.

5 Likes

@MikeyBugs Your renders are looking really great!

The crushed jerry can looks and sounds cool; however, I don’t know of a need and demand for it.

How about some 1/35 modern snowshoes, ski poles, skis, and sled for Arctic warfare?

I figured I’d have multiple different “styles” of damaged cans, crushed being just one. Ski poles might be too thin for me print but I can take a crack.

1 Like

M68A1 looks good

1 Like

Print just the bottom web of the ski pole and let us use use Evergreen rod for the pole itself

How about some 120mm tank ammo storage tubes. No one makes these in any medium that I know of.

Dims: 41 inches tall x 6 3/4" tube diameter

Closed end.

Opening end.

A pallet of them (6 tubes high by 5 tubes across) with the top plate would be awesome, maybe hollow out the interior so it doesn’t use too much resin.

2 Likes

Sure! That’s doable. Doesn’t seem too bad either.

1 Like