Miniart Cat D7 & scratch built Hyster logging arch

It’s looking great. It must be taking you a lot of man hours to do it.

Cheers,
Ralph

3 Likes

Thanks Ralph - I’m glad I have not kept track of my time ( and costs ! ) It may prove frightening…

1 Like

Finding very limited reference of the Athey tracked trailers other than the dump trailer:

th
6 ton
img_6

20 ton ???

Side dump trailer variant ?

cat 013

Larger version

1-Fresh-Kills-Landfill-mid-twentieth-century-New-York-City-Municipal-Archives

Fresh Kills Landfill, Staten Island NY

H.P.

6 Likes

Wow Frenchy!

Might you know what the US Military designation was on the Athey cargo trailer?

H.P.

6 Likes

H.P.

6 Likes

Seems to be great variation in goose neck / hitch designs with these Athey trailers.

1 Like

Indeed- how do you suppose they got that boulder into the trailer ?

1 Like

Just a few more Athey trailer pics (Just hope I won’t derail Richard’s thread…)

H.P.

5 Likes

If anyone is guilty of derailing this thread it is me!

However I think we are still “on track” but the subject has simply expanded a little.
Athey appears to have been the sub-contractor, providing the tracked wheel units to Hyster for their logging equipment.

For many years I had considered scratch building this cargo trailer but were always stopped by the daunting task of building those tracked units. However Richard may have solved this problem for us with his excellently built masters! Now if I can just get @Mikeybugs to scan and print them for us. The rest of the trailer would be a fairly easy scratch build.

Great reference finds H.P. !

Note: Hydraulic pump added to Cat PTO to operate side dump hopper.

1/50th scale diecast Athey trailer : http://uncle-vova.com/card/athey-wagon-crawler-dump-trailer/

Kiska ( Aleutian Islands) 1943

and now

H.P.

2 Likes

After an interesting side trip into the world of Athey trailers it’s back to the subject at hand . Thanks Frenchy and Michael for all the pics and keeping this blog alive while I slugged my way through the second set of tracks .
The right side tracks are now done - Hallelujah !
I can now move forward to finishing the construction.
The trunnions need to be trimmed to length and their caps made and a few details on the rocker beams .
The last big items are the two sponson like sweeps ahead of the tracks and the hitch .

Things should move a little quicker now.
Cheers - Richard

10 Likes

Really coming together nicely now.

3 Likes

Thanks Peter - now seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
I’ve added the weld beads around the tubes in the rocker beams…

… and begun work on the sweeps that mount ahead of the tracks as can be seen in this photo…

Thanks for looking
Richard

11 Likes

Those tracks are not very tight at the original vehicle, are they?
Making good progress :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Erwin - yes , with no apparent means to adjust tension the tracks inevitably go slack as they wear .

4 Likes

Arch almost completed.
I’ve made up and attached the sweeps ahead of the tracks and done the weld beads …

Tracks done and primed - rocker beams complete now by adding the the three Alemite grease fittings
above the trunnion mounts . Wheel/ axles done now with the addition of the axle nuts .

All that remains are the retaining bolts through the trunnion caps and the hitch .
I have made a mold of the rocker beams and started to cast a pair for future projects … more on this later.
Thanks for looking- RT

13 Likes

Here is the mold for the rocker beams…

… and the raw casting…

And a pair after cleanup and drilling.

These along with their wheels will be going out to a member who is most enthusiastic regarding the Athey tracked trailers .

Cheers - RT

8 Likes

I’m impressed with your skills.

Cheers,
Ralph

3 Likes