Modeling Armor of Operation "Iron Swords"

and,

4 Likes

Note the reversed track.

5 Likes

And this happened yesterday.

The comments are brilliant :joy:

3 Likes

I can confirm that was deliberate and part of an unbeaching exercise. Debeach? Err, Debacle!

1 Like

I’ll tell you the winds and tides in that stretch of coast from Gaza to jaffa is a total “B” but this one goes to the army’s navy :joy: just because :joy:

1 Like

They successfully tested that air defense system yesterday. But they sure didn’t test for the systems that kept their boats from being washed away with part of the pier.

4 Likes

H.P.

4 Likes

A very appropriate memorial to the upcoming 80th anniversary of the destruction of Mulberry “A”, another case of the U.S. Corps of Civil Engineers not reading the instructions, ignoring them or being unable to understand them…

Cheers,

M

1 Like

Putting Gaza in the same sentence as the mulberry piers just doesn’t seem right to me for some odd reason
Maybe we should take that up the the Australian light horse that captured it from the Turks in WWI :joy:

2 Likes

H.P.

3 Likes

I wasn’t equating Gaza to Normandy, just the inability of the U.S. to assemble an IKEA flat pack harbour that could withstand the first substantial wind that came along. The “Mulberry” design and construction was done by the British Army and civil contractors (#), but Mulberry “A” was assembled by the USN who considered it over-engineered and left out the “unnecessary bits” like most of the anchors. As a result it wasn’t even fully functional before it was wrecked by the storm of 19-20th June. Bits were salvaged to repair “Port Winston” (Mulberry “B”) where, ironically, much of the damage was done by breakaway “Bombardons” which acted as floating Battering Rams. (#) The Royal Navy were annoyed they had no real part in the original design of the “Mulberries” and came up with the idea of an outer floating breakwater which consumed vast amounts of steel and shipbuilding capacity and proved worse than useless…

Or any of their predecessors who trashed the neighbourhood, of which there have been very many… Going backwards, Napoleon, the Crusaders, the Romans, the Ptolemies/Seleucids, Alexander the Great (who genocided Gaza city; it was repopulated by Bedouin), assorted Assyrians and Egyptians; name anyone in the Mediterranean and Near East and they’ve probably p-ss-d on the place - it could have been the prototype for Flanders (“Belgium: A country invented so that Britain and Germany would have a place to sort out their differences.” - J. Clarkson)…

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

On mention of Gaza and the mulberry in the same sentence I put it as a joke. One was a heroic effort and Gaza a giant joke . Hence the smiley face :grinning::grinning::grinning:

As for the usn not using all the parts especially the important bits … no wonder it fell apart and I thank you for educating me on that.

As in all things engineering over here I’ve heard over the years that’s not how we do things… and have seen many failures due to this statement being involved.

I guess one engineers job probably doesn’t fit it over engineers opinion. And we all know where opinions come from. Again thank you this is not an argument this was I was just replying in my cynical humor. My mistake

2 Likes

More views of the beached LCM

Here’s the very same one during the Quartermaster Liquid Logistics Exercise at Fort Lee, Va., June 13, 2014

H.P.

4 Likes

Big difference between a wide stream and the Med!!! I wonder if those in charge took that into consideration? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The mistake was mine, for some reason I thought the smiley applied only to the second part of your post…
While there were successful two-way transfers of technology (Packard taught Rolls-Royce a lot about design for mass production when they re-worked the Merlin) there were spectacular failures, such as the effort to license build the British variant of the 20mm Hispano cannon.

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Someone just sent me footage of more of that Pier floating away with trucks about to fall overboard I’m gonna put it on my YouTube channel and then post it here

2 Likes

As a navy guy, I know what went wrong, it is written on the stern and the sides above the craft’s serial number… :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

The Hebrew more or less states this is what you get for aiding terrorists…

6 Likes

Lets keep this non-political and just focus on vehicles that can be modeled. It is starting to go the wrong direction.

5 Likes

4 Likes