Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

So, a bit back @Frenchy posted this picture.

I was wondering about the two odd trucks. Frenchy thought it might be a Renault Midliner or something from the Club of Four truck makers.

Frenchy set me off on the right track and I initially thought the trucks might be ex-French fire-fighting vehicles like the one in the picture he posted. The layout and cab were similar but the windows and doors were wrong.

A bit more googling led me to Iveco Magirus trucks which are similar to the Renault’s, but they match the window and door outline.

I believe the Ukrainian vehicles are these.

The blue color looked familiar and I remembered them from a thread started by @HermannB.

Blue DUKW truck - Armor/AFV / WWII Allied - KitMaker Network

The color is used by the German THW-‘Technisches Hilfswerk’. I was thinking that is perhaps where they have come from but I can’t find any info saying the THW donated actual trucks but they could very well have been ex-THW and bought privately for the war effort.

I suppose this type and config could also have been in military use somewhere too and that also might be the source. And it’s possible the same type was also in civilian use and was bought in from somewhere.

Now we just need a kit in 1/35 plastic :smiley:!

2 Likes