Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

and soldiers “repurposing” for other needs …

I wonder if the Nakidka also eliminates tell-tale vehicle tracks leding into a position like great signs when seen from drones

Horror stories whispered by Russian tanks around a camp fire:
Suddenly they appeared, just outside the light of the fire, barely visible in the trees, the gleam of headlights!
They were surrounded!
Then, from all around, came the snarling growl of diesel engines, TRACTORS! Aggghhh!
The next morning, all that was found were some drag marks on the trail. And those poor tanks were never seen again!
Ken

8 Likes

When we were issued thermal sheeting on CH1 in Germany, it was predominantly for daytime use and when you were on 15min to 30min NTM with a partial cam net up. It was to daytime hide you to a certain extent from Thermal Sights of ATGW and other thermal equipped MBTs. Any escaping thermal signature would be (in theory soaked up or blend in to the immediate area.
It was only ever used at night for 30min or so on entering a hide after you had engines switched off and it gave the wagon exterior 30 to 40 mins to cool down.
Even when a wagon has been running hard for many hours it doesn’t actually take long for them to cool down (external features and running gear etc)

Today’s full wagon thermal suits that you see on say a Ch2 have been designed to retain most of the thermal signature and prevent a good solid thermal picture you can lock onto or track while the wagon moves.

2 Likes

The US Army has been testing it on four Strykers in Germany. I’ll bet H-H might even have a photo or two…

I seem to remember that with the old thermal sheeting there had to be standoff between the wagon and the sheet otherwise the sheet heated up which defeated the object of having it in the first place. In reply to Robin’s post reference replicating heat sources have a look at the following link about BAE Adaptiv thermal cam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptiv

2 Likes

You’re quite right there was meant to be, in practice it was a biblical pain in the hoop trying to achieve that, that’s why we only ever really used them in daytime and in battle hides and draped over the front halve only facing the enemy.
After about 3 or 4 exercises even that became a chore so they just stayed bagged up in the troop cages or 1 or 2 taken out to sleep on at night on the back decks :grin:

haha yeah, they were good at keeping the crew toastie on cold nights in Germany.

1 Like

This is dead end development. That thing wont last two days on in real deployment. How long does it to get it on and off ? An hour ? Yeah the crew will love that. And where to store it ? There needs to be an integrated cooling solution developed. But no such luck with old BTRs, or anny russian hardware. No money. A russian motorised regiment on move must be visible on thermals like christmas tree.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, thank you for your efforts, too. I’m hoarding the T-72B3 images you put up for a build later.

Question for the group, I’ve seen ‘H 2200’ of numerous vehicles now, what does it mean, please?

1 Like

From Official Special Russian Vehicle Crew Maintenance Manual:

1. Do not expose vehicle to tractors.
  2. Chill deceased bodies inside vehicle.
  3. Wrap vehicle in Special Russian Tortilla.
  4. Locate nearest un-destroyed railway depot.
  5. Prepare Special Letter of Denial for Russian Mothers.
  6. Ship contents to the Kremlin, Russia c/o Fearless Leader.
  7. Do not conduct transactions in Roubles.
  8. Увидимся позже, Zzzzz.

Слава Україні :ukraine:

1 Like

Has this guy made a showing?
Typhoon-VDV K-4386

that sign reminds of one I used to see in Oklahoma on the old RT. 66! Not far from the tepees. Kinda makes me miss a tall brunet that made my second trip with me
gary

1 Like

War is propaganda from both interests. The winner just does it better

Looking into the eyes of those young on top of the APC’s and tanks makes me think (a little too much) about just how young they really are. Yet they have evolved into old men over the last twelve weeks. Already getting the stare in their eyes! Their adventures will last a life time (if the make it out of there), and just keep coming back for dinner. The guy facing the camera is probably younger than 24 years, and already looks to be in his late thirties. He’ll never see another good Easter in the rest of his life because it will reflect back to Easter in 2022. Been proud to have known him
gary

1 Like

really just being alive and kicking. Add to this the fact that he’s willing to eat cold food and sleep wet getting by on three hours a day longing for a hot bath. By now he can’t even remember what his girl friend felt like. Just a piece meat on the conveyor belt
gary

1 Like

I was thinking along that direction. Of course they might have wanted to keep that paint job looking new
gary

2 Likes

Don’t be fooled by appearances. These guys are dangerous…

H.P.

3 Likes

John Deer’s new advertisement.

4 Likes

Російські грязьові тактики.🫡
:tractor::ukraine:

1 Like

Thermal camo.

1 Like