Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

what missile type is that in the bottom picture?

A British Brimstone

1 Like

Freaking awesomeness. :+1:

The middle truck is like Star Wars, what 1:1 AFV parts where used where?

Theres certainly no shortage of bits to find and pick up for additional armour protection. :grin:

1 Like

It just goes to prove that every tank from a T-72B to a T-90M is just a T-72 with more bling bolted on it.

5 Likes

The Russian version of the Patton family. Heck one can almost say the Abrams family too at this point.

1 Like

Yeah but with Abrams they started with a winning tank and upgraded from there. With T-72 they started with a crap tank and never got any better.

2 Likes

I can see some MT-LB parts used here…

H.P.

1 Like

Wandering which country still used milan to send it , or very old war stock.

All it takes is the wrong word in the right ear!

1 Like

Theres a lot to chose from … it says France has sent some as well.

I remember decades ago reading about the Чёрный Орёл, (Black Eagle) which would have been based on a modified T-80 hull but with the removal of the carousel type auto-loader, which was to be replaced by one in the bustle. As I studied it I thought “Wow, they’re going to fix all of the problems they’ve identified and possibly even arm it with a 152mm (?) main gun. How will we counter something like that?”
We’ll never know I guess. But odds are, it would be just another smoldering hulk on the battlefield.

1 Like

With over 200 damage or destroyed MT-LB in this conflict alone, there is a few extra that can be used.

You’d need a pretty big diorama to replicate this:

Perhaps two small dioramas at either end of an exhibit hall. If you could get them thirty meters apart hat would represent 1,050 scale meters…

1 Like

I honestly never thought MILAN entered service in the 70s. I thought it was a modern system in about 1985, when i began to sniff around the Careers Office.

Not saying it didn’t happen the way they reported but we sure it was some 2nd Lt first day on the job dorking things up. Jest saying.

2 Likes

I used it in 83 when I went into the Milan Pl before I transferred in the RHG/D so knew a bit about its history from the course I went on. Just before I transferred we switched to Milan 2 and I did my last range period on those with the long-rod penetrator at Otterburn

So, when MILAN entered service, it must have been a hugely formidable weapon. IIRC, it could penetrate a 1m thickness of solid steel at 1500m.

The problem we armor people have is that we think tank VS tank. We look at upgrades and variants. We think of incremental improvements over the previous models. People who design antitank weapons could care less. They just think what will stop the latest tank plus30% more armor. The carousel issue is just gravey. The weapons go through the armor and kill the tank before the carousel ignites. The pyro display is just the climax to the event. The tanks of other countries would be killed just about as quick, They may not have the pyro display but if the crew compartment is penetrated it is pretty much out of action.

1 Like