Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

I don’t think that is even possible.
Apparently the M1 series, Challenger and Leo all have the same type of “special” armor.
It looks like the US will remove the outer DU armor before being given to Ukraine.

H.P.

4 Likes

US Bradleys on their way to Ukraine

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/437455/ustranscom-sends-more-than-60-bradley-fighting-vehicles-ukraine

H.P.

6 Likes

M2A2 ODS Brads w/T161 tracks. Nice, but you have to do some kit-bashing to get one. You would need Academy’s M2A2 “Iraq 2003” kit (#13205) w/new running gear and tracks from Kinetic’s M3A3 CFV kit (#K61014, has the T161 tracks). Newer ammo stowage boxes on the back of the turret basket and some other detail pieces would come from the Kinetic kit as well. The box on top of the Gunner’s Primary Sight box is for an FBCB2 (digital tracking system) antenna and could be sources form one of the Meng kits or some of the PE sets from Voyager.

Looks like a healthy order of M2A2 ODS-E Bradleys.

M2A2 ODS/ODS-E

The “Operation Desert Storm” and “Operation Desert Storm-Engineer” improvements were based on lessons learned during the first Gulf War in 1991. The major improvements included an eye-safe laser rangefinder (ELRF), a tactical navigation system (TACNAV) incorporating the Precision Lightweight GPS Receiver (PLGR) and the Digital Compass Systems (DCS), a missile countermeasure device designed to defeat first-generation wire-guided missiles, and the Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below Battlefield Command Information System.

The internal stowage was further improved, and a thermal imaging system was added for the driver. The infantry squad was again increased to seven men, six of whom sat facing each other on two 3-man benches in the passenger compartment, with the seventh back in the position behind the turret. An MRE heater was added to the vehicle to assist in the preparation of food while in the field or warzone. With the retirement of the Dragon missile, the vehicle had the option of carrying some Javelin anti-tank missiles.

Seriously, I was going to post last night Frenchy if you could do Bradleys or Abrams with ukraine schemes.

The Brads all look to be in sand. We’ll see how the Abrams are. They are supposed to be M1A2s, not sure which version though. Time will tell. I’m sure we will be able to model them with all the different Abrams kits available.

SInce all those bradleys are going in painted in desert CARC tan, I imagine they’ll add the “Poseidon Trident” national coat of arms and maybe the national flag.

So… This is my uneducated guess for a Ukrainian Army Bradley.

A Kinetic M3A3 BUSK, minus the BUSK armor, IFF panels and the big FLIR module on the side, then add the national insignias from DAN Models or Echelon Decals.

SInce we (US) have a surplus of former USMC Abrams tanks, would those be candidates to be sent out to Ukraine?

Supposedly, Ukraine will get M1A2s of some type (SEP, v2, v3??), so no, as the USMC only had M1A1 FEP tanks. USMC did not use M1A2s.

You would have to remove more than that. The A3 upgrade includes armor plates on top of the hull and turret, armor around the turret ring, and other smaller added parts. It would be better to start w/the Academy kit as I listed above.

1 Like

Well? I do have a Tamiya M2A2 ODS in my build stash. The issue will be getting a hold of the T-161 tracks. The rest can be added from other kits or 3D printed.

That link is awesome also. cant tell you how many discord channels have been spewing uniformed prop about things being moved for months now with no clue about the difference between shipments and normal training deployments of years past.

1 Like

The Tamiya M2A2 ODS is a rebuilt to ODS standards and has only about half the needed parts. The Academy M2A2 Iraq 2003 kit is a new build ODS vehicle like the ones shown. The biggest difference is the front glacis plate is different on new-build vehicle. If you want to build an exact replica, you really need to start w/the Academy kit.

damn. :frowning:

I cant tell you how many times constantly someone posts a Flightradar24 of a single drone flying near europe and takes it as though it was some new sign of us getting involved or about to do some new invasion tactic. like really?

This usually shuts them down.

before feb24…This Is The Armada Of Spy Planes Tracking Russia's Forces Surrounding Ukraine

I don’t think so because of the armor, plus they are saying A2 like Gino said.

I heard somewhere they had to be built. I would think the A2 export version so no armor issues and maybe a different engine to help with maintenance and supply constraints.

Very well. makes sense.

OMG, 28 sec into, after the explosion the guy doesnt even flinch and keeps walking, WTH? high as a kite?

1 Like

Maybe he is in a severe shock or dazed?