Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

There were quite a few T-80UDs seen in the initial stages of the invasion, from 4th Guards Tank Division I believe…

The Bradley in the last picture has some markings on the rear ramp

H.P.

3 Likes

Good catch. I missed those.

BTR-4E armored personnel carriers of the 3rd Rapid Reaction Brigade “Spartan” of the National Guard of Ukraine in the Kharkiv region :

H.P.

4 Likes

Russian T72/T80/T90 tank and tanker questions:

1. Is it true that Russian tankers have shoes without metal elements, so as not to cause sparks? Read the card board cased nitrocellulose main gun ammo is very prone to catch fire and burn or explode in the presence of sparks. The ammo is so sensitive that the crew can accidentally set of the ammo with the wrong shoes :mans_shoe:?

2. This “ammo” (see below cutaway) consists of 5 kg. pyroxylin, in a cardboard tube? The tube is also made of explosive: pyroxylin-cellulose impregnated with TNT. Only the bottom of the tube is steel and it ejects.

main-qimg-73c0e9de756484d6b4cdc65c1e0248c4-pjlq

1. Russian soldiers have been chained into fighting positions in Ukraine. Is that true?

Would make quite a diorama.

This is apparently on an individual basis and is discussed by surrendering Russian soldiers. A soldier takes off, is caught by what is describe as a special police unit, who returns the soldier to their unit to be chained in their tank during duty hours.

Combined - the possibility that Russians could resort to small crews chained in tanks used as pillboxes.

Appreciate comments and insights. Thanks!

I wouldn’t worry about speed limits, I followed a link from the link you posted.
It would appear Sweden has been inadvertently supplying Putin’s war effort…
“In Sweden, the disappearance of traffic cameras, which record violations of the speed limit, has become more frequent. Local intelligence agencies suspect the Russians. According to the newspaper Aftonbladet, the stolen cameras were later allegedly found in Russian drones that are involved in the SVO in Ukraine. The Swedish State Security Service (SEPO) reports the loss of at least 100 cameras throughout the country. The same figure is indicated by the transport department of the country.”

Cheers,

M

SÄPO = SÄkerhetsPOlisen (funny Swedish letters)
The problem is that I can’t know which speed camera is AWOL when I drive past

1 Like

@Armor_Buff - Back in the Soviet era troops were usually issued with a leather boot, sometimes known as ‘sapogi’ which was used right up to the First Chechen war in the mid- 90s. These days the issue footwear is the standard ‘Ratnik’ boots issued to Infantry troops- basically fairly modern looking black boots.

I’m afraid I’m not able to comment on the ammo type.

As for the ‘chaining up’ thing I have seen a video purporting to be the body of a Russian soldier chained to a pole but there’s not much info about it.

I’m not sure if this was posted here or not but it was one I have saved. They are T-80U’s in a staging area near Severodonetsk.

At the risk of being censored again I’ll answer your question, it’s not that I have alternative facts to give but the logic of the story. Tank breaks down in rehearsals 8 years ago( like that’s never happened before in the history of parades) yeah the BREM couldn’t move it but it was obvious the tracks were lock and it moved under its own power later, whether you believe the official story about the parking brake or whatever being left on is neither here nor there, secondly about there being no production line, as far as I am aware it is still undergoing trials and with UVZ busy upgrading and churning out tanks for the Ukraine theatre, they are not going to set up a new production line yet or they have not lost as many tanks as told and can easily set up new tooling and the problems exist. Thirdly the Armata gun was never designed to fit in the T 90M whether it is because of the breach or the auto loader the T 90M uses a version of the T 72 carousel, the Armata auto loader is completely different as is the ammunition. Those 3 points alone makes me question the rest of it, although it is supposedly well known they are struggling for chips and electronics, so there are elements of truth in there. If you don’t believe that the west uses propaganda, I have some valuable NFTs to sell!

1 Like

The optics are a huge problem for them right now. And ball bearings.
Seems like we dealt a blow to the Nazi regime in WWII by taking out their ball bearing factories as well.

I think this won’t be removed. Your previous reaction was a unfounded exclamation. Now you explained your thoughts, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Most modern combat boots/shoes have little or no metal in them, hobnail boots are ancient history.
Any fear of sparks would come from static electricity formed by the clothing, acrylic, wool, etc.
When I was in EOD, we often wore Explosive Handler’s Coveralls, made of cotton with plastic buttons.
No nylon, velcro, or metal zippers.
Ken

3 Likes

here’s your Russian standard-issue “Ratnik” boot.

Here’s the “Sapogi” boots.

3 Likes

Karl mentioned the “ Sapogi” boots were in use until relatively recently, I’ve read the same about socks. Up until a few decades ago Russians were issued strips of fabric to wrap around their feet instead of them.

Yeap that is one of those ‘weird but true’ things! I think it was 2013 or so when they finally started issuing socks though I would assume most soldiers simply bought their own socks.

1 Like

At the Harmony Church for Wayward Boys they showed us a video of them wrapping their feet. I thought it was kinda cool. I hate wearing socks.
The they had this “defector” come talk to us. Worst acting I’ve ever seen in my life.

2 Likes

Ah yes, Harmony Church. I was D/10/2 :wink:
I think we had a cousin of Dolph Lungren giving the “I hate America” portion of the threat briefing presentation…

1 Like

Is a shame that Harmony Church is now the Armor School.

2 Likes

Yeah, that belongs in Ken-Tuck-Eee…

Last time that I was at Benning in the 90’s the WWII barracks and Harmony Church were all gone

2 Likes