Modelling armour in Ukraine crisis

I did the actual button pushing.
A blurry aerial view of something that is probably an M1 tank with a comment that it was knocked out.
It wasn’t moving (still image) and the photo was too blurry or out of focus that it was impossible to discern any details (relevant for modelling) or to judge if it was or wasn’t operable.

Some of my posts have been removed for roughly the same reasons.

Knocked out vehicles are OK as long as they provide some kind of modelling information (what does the crankshaft of a blown to smithereens T-72 look like).
Some like to model battle damage, others prefer their models in “near mint” condition.
Unsharp, foggy or out of focus long distance images does not provide any value.
This applies to everyone.
A tank/vehicle/artillery covered in camouflage provides info on the camouflage so those are fine as well.

5 Likes

I didn’t post the stills of the hit or aftermath
As that would have been inappropriate.

3 Likes

i neec to stop going to work as i keep missing all the fun lol

4 Likes

:joy: :joy::joy::joy::joy:
Had to do five

1 Like

I was going to comment on the verbiage as it related the image not matching up but decided otherwise.

Any equipment on the battlefield is fair game, no matter my feelings about said equipment is my $0.02 which means nothing.

Some but not many US Abrams have been knocked in GW2. So munitions exist that can. I do wonder out the export versions survivability as they are not the same.

2 Likes

A blurry aerial view of something that is probably an M1 tank with a comment that it was knocked out.
It wasn’t moving (still image) and the photo was too blurry or out of focus that it was impossible to discern any details (relevant for modelling) or to judge if it was or wasn’t operable.

:crazy_face:
:crazy_face: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yup, could be used as inspiration for a diorama …
:grin:

If someone feels that the image I posted should be removed then please flag it and some moderator will take care of it :smiley:

1 Like

Not to add fuel to any fires but it is confirmed that an Abrams was lost. The interesting thing in the photo is that the blast panels are gone indicating that the ammunition ignited. It also looks like it is sporting the reactive skirt armor from the TUSK kit.

4 Likes

It was bound to happen. No sense in crying about it. We’ve lost countless Abrams in Iraq to IEDs and RPGs from 2003 to 2010, plus the ones destroyed by ISIS after we left the country. The Abrams, while one of the most technologically advanced weapon systems in the world, is not indestructible and it will eventually be defeated. That’s the nature of modern conflict.

Also, if you look at the image, you can clearly see the damage contained to the ammo hold, with it’s blast panels blown out while leaving the rest of the tank intact. I would go out on a limb that the tank did not have a full load of ammunition that could’ve cooked off and decimated the outside of the tank.

3 Likes

This is actually very much on the topic, showing the KD ratio and it puts a lot of german ww2 records and memoars on a much more strong footing when talking about massive russian tank losses.

1 Like

i miss all the good things

4 Likes

It didn’t. The incident occurred to the Ukrainian rear in the Avdiika sector during a phased withdrawal to more tenable positions. One of the reasons the withdrawal is necessary is that the Ukrainian Army does not have enough ammunition to sustain an offensive, and it was reported that this tank was out of ammunition (or at least very low on it). There is no confirmation on the status of the crew but two crew members lightly wounded seems to be the consenus as they were apparently not in the vehicle at the time.

Reports suggest that the preferred MBT of the Ukrainian Army is the Challenger II due its robustness and survivability. Leopards are made out of cheese and Abrams is a logistical nightmare.

Challengers in Iraq took multiple RPG hits and simply carried on. One reportedly took 70 RPG hits and survived. Whether the 70 RPG hits story is true or not, the tank from the story clearly recieved a huge amount of damage; yet the crew survived.

The Challenger that was destroyed in Ukraine (yes, one tank), judging by the video, was destroyed not with an RPG, but using an ATGM 9M133 Kornet. It has several times greater armor penetration and about 10 times greater range than RPG7 (lets be honest, no MBT is ‘really’ going to be troubled by an RPG7 hit in any armoured area of the vehicle). This ATGM is in service with Russia and several dozen other countries. More than 40 thousand of them were produced. It can destroy most tanks given a skilled operator.

The Challenger’s armour is probably second to none, but against mines and artillery, any tank will suffer.

4 Likes

Is that “Собственность Государственного детского дома Украины” I can see stamped on the mattress?

The mattress is so old it still says “Made in USSR” on it.

1 Like

IMG_0329

The ratios are always interesting from various conflicts. Land or air or whatever :thinking:

Fact. 100%

5 Likes

summer is coming

didnt know that ukrainians drive with the steering wheel on the right side
everyday something new

i found it…

very interesting

6 Likes

They do when It’s Donated

iconic UAZ

bmp1 rust

2 Likes