Models in films and TV

Watching the movie “Multiplicity” and I noticed the aircraft models that are part of the scenery.

2 Likes

I stumbled across this still from Leave it to Beaver a week or so ago…

6 Likes

Who among us did not start with those little bottles of Testors and Pactra paints?

2 Likes

Can’t say I have. I started with the old Enamel set with the garbage plastic brushes and the big squareish jar of enamel thinner.

Then I graduated to the Model master enamels and had enough of those paints to fill a .30 cal ammo can with them.

You remember the “Colors by Boyd” collection?

You were not a serious car modeler unless youhad a dozen or so of these in different colors. :grin:

1 Like

I was never a serious enough car modeler. Although I know nail polish had several appropriate colors that would rival the finish yielded by Boyd colors.

4 Likes

I think in the opening credits of gone in 60 seconds there are four different car model kits flashed during the opening

2 Likes

Watching the 1982 Thing, pretty sure I saw some Revell boxes on the shelf as they walked out of the radio room.

5 Likes

Yep. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks I was going to try to grab a screenshot at some point. I don’t recall seeing any built models but those scenes move super fast to tell.

2 Likes

Nice catch!

5 Likes

Not exactly model building-related, but I remember watching a long, long time ago an episode from a detective comedy series ( Tenspeed and Brown Shoe ? Simon & Simon ? …) in which the two heroes make fake Navy ID cards using decals from a F-14 Tomcat kit…Does it ring a bell to someone ?

H.P.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Love that movie. It is one of John Carpenter’s best. There are five of his movies that are favorites of mine. “Escape From New York” is at the top of the list. “The Thing”, “Christine”, “They Live”, and “Starman” are my other favorites of his.

5 Likes

I remember spotting an Airfix Lancaster box in the cabin set in The Boat that Rocked. I remember it only from the from that it wasn’t period correct, being the boxing from the early 2000’s rather than the correct 60’s.
Haven’t been able to find a clip to screen grab it. Somewhere we have a copy on dvd.

2 Likes

Happened to remember an episode of the 1980s television series Simon & Simon where they were looking at scale aircraft so that they would know what a B25 looked like.

S03 - Ep10 Betty Grable Flies Again

I apologize for the quality of the pictures.

6 Likes

Dick Powell old-school aircraft modeling with Jimmy Hunt, his son, in Pitfall (1948) while Jane Wyatt washes up in the background. Great movie, also starring the very wonderful Lizabeth Scott.

8 Likes

Terry Wogan guesting with Eric in one of the early ITV episodes of Morecambe & Wise. Anyone know what the model is?

7 Likes

Cliff Richard with Eric’s 1/24 Airfix Spitfire…

4 Likes

Here’s another view :

Looks like a flying model to me (Control-line model ? )

H.P.

4 Likes

I think you’re right, it has one of those glow plug engines. Also the Humbrol and Airfix paint tinlets.

1 Like

Wings look a bit small for CL. They typically have broad thick wings. Although I stand to be corrected if anyone can find the kit or plans it’s been built from. Vintage flying models are quite interesting things.
Could be a free flight? Looks like a small diesel engine.
Have you got a link to the clip?