My current stash

I have the same kit so heres my two cents worth. I did mine in flight. If i recall correctly, using very careful measurements (meaning a ton of bottom and side view inflight pictures and the Mk1 eyeball w the normal bi-focals) you’ll find the wheels seat in the opening just about perfectly. I just cut the gear down and did some very minor scratch building to finish it out. Since its going to hang from above whenever i finish it i think how i did it looked pretty solid enough for the effect.

Now i dont want to come across as wise acre but remember this is the old Monogram kit that i think dates to 1972 (I’m 53 so there was a neat appeal building a kit as old as me basically) It shows its age, in fact the year is molded on the underside of the wing, cause yes, there wasnt enough clean ups, ejector pin marks, flash and gaps already. But i knew that when buying it that its an ok kit not worth a ton of time so for me it’ll be a ceiling hanger. Personally i dont think its worth cutting the bomb bay doors apart, frankly its one of the best seams on the model (sarcasm very much intended). Buy that new 1/48th by HK for a great B-17, I’m going to splurge on that one one day. But I’ve got 2 of them, several years ago at Christmas our local Hobby Lobby screwed up, normally its like a $35.00 kit there and their sale was 50% off kits. But whomever priced them stamped them at $17.50, when i checked out i got an additional 50% off that price. So that’s why i ended up w 2 of them lol, how could i not? Anyways, fun build for the memories and worth the price of admission for the Shep Payne insert.

2 Likes

Mk1 = Eyeball
Mk1a1 = Eyeball w/glasses or contacts
Mk1-a2 Eyeball when enhanced w/bifocals
Mk1-a3 Eyeball w/laser correction
Mk1-a4 Eyeball w/laser correction with corrective lens

Mk2 = Eyeball w/optivisor etc

Wink :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Eyeball T-90: A glass eye that has rolled away, been stepped on, cracked, and is no on fire somewhere in Ukrainian ditch

7 Likes

CITV-Eyeball

3 Likes

and you have totally lost when you have all those nice kits in the stash and each time you buy a new kit to build it, not touchign the stash ever.

3 Likes

@Dagger1959 Ah yes, that’s what my stash looked like 50 years ago…

8 Likes

I bookmarked this discussion just so i can always find this lol. I wish i was still young enough i was still Mk1a1, but alas the years have required mandatory to refit and upgrades to stay useful at the desk so Mk1 a2 came online and deployed around 4 years ago. Actually about due for a hardware update.

1 Like

Oh my goodness. What’s it look like now :hushed: LOL

1 Like

There’s a stash, then there’s the most exalted type of stash: The Stockpile

:wink:

1 Like

Aw c’mon Matt,you just took a picture of your local hobby shop !!! :flushed:

1 Like

@Uncle-Heavy Time to chip in a pic of your stash… :wink:

That would kill this topic …
There is roughly 2000 kits in one room and almost 2000 in another.
Some boxes contain two or more kits.
The visible boxes is only half the stash anyway, other boxes
are hiding behind the visible ones and the visible boxes extend
10 - 12 cm outside the edge of the shelf.

3 Likes

Preparing for dooms day, are you?

1 Like

I may go hungry but I will not be without enough models to build.
If the worst happens I will have to learn to cook my own ethyl acetate
and make my own paints. Hunt small furry animals to eat and make
paint brushes. Convert the compressor to hand cranking.

4 Likes

Never mind the stash, your hobby room is massive!! :blush:

Still some more prepping to do, then :smile:

1 Like

Just how big are rooms in Sweden? I’m picturing the warehouse at the end of Raiders

3 Likes

PFFFFttt, that’s peanuts:

the largest stash that I helped to clean up after the owner had died was: the first floor and the complete attic of a house + 14 standard car garages (3 by 6 by 2.5 meter) full of kits

With full I mean FULL, no racks, no corridors, no open spaces, just kits, and more kits, and more kits and more … from back to front, from floor to ceiling.

90% of my current stash results from that clean up. A friend of mine is trying to sell all those boxes for the last xx years now.

1 Like

The small partition I set aside as hobby room is only 4 square meters (43 sq ft) and it is more or less full,
2.5 meter ceiling height, the other room is 11.2 sq m (120 sq ft) and roughly half the volume is kits

I ain’t dead yet …
I’m trying to stay within one scale and avoid aircraft/helicopters,
helps to set a boundary but I can’t resist ship models in 1/72nd scale

1 Like