My ultimate 1/350 Yamato - Operation Ten-gō 1945

Looks great. You are barreling along at a fast rate!

Nikos, thank you very much for your two valuable hints :blush: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:. Never thought of Bluetack instead of tweezers but it should work well. Will try that with the next turret. I will also clean the floor with a vacuum cleaner with a piece of stocking to find some lost parts of this and former builds again :innocent:

There is no replacement from Mk1 for the tripod mast. It doesn´t matter as these are looking really nice as they are. But generally this set is not as good as Pontos would be for the Yamato. But it was in the kit and will be used.

1 Like

Rory I still have christmas holiday and therefore plenty of time for the build. But this will chance next week :pensive:

Completed building both 15.5 cm triple gun towers. They are looking very nice to me but are super fragile now with all these railings and ladders on. Lets see how much is still on after my airbrush painting :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

They look good! This just shows what great results can be obtained from a good modern kit, turned brass with delicate etch, and skillful assembly. Nice!

2 Likes

Beautiful work on the Turrets Jorg…Cheers Mark

1 Like

Thank you Mark :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: By the way: I am Thomas; Jörg is the guy who recently showed us his beautiful Bismarck here :smiling_face:

Jippie finished the two triple 15.5 cm gun turrets; I like the outcome :innocent:

I worked parallel at the aircraft deck and was also able to finish it today. The stickers of the linoleum lines worked great and sticked without problem. I sealed everything with matt lacque spray

As the Yamato had 5 cm wide white stripes at the edges of their protection shields in front of the triple 25 mm Flak guns at its last journey I also made these with a white 05 Sakura gelly roll pen which worked perfectly for this

Thats it for today. Have to prepare mentally for the end of my holiday and the upcoming work tomorrow :pleading_face: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

13 Likes

Wow… Those triples look absolutely stunning Thomas, beautifully detailed… Top class and the flight deck area is equally great… So much fantastic detailing here… :+1::+1:

2 Likes

The really last report for today, promised! I finished the aft deck and the aircraft hangar so that I was able to finally screw on the aircraft deck over it. As usual nothing without any losses - the three handling wheels for the crane broke away during my drybrush of the corrugated sheet areas (I just forgot about them and they are so small :cry:). I found two of them and fortunately the aftermarket company provided me with four; luckily I kept the seemingly superfluous one for unknown reasons so I have three again. But I will just glue them on again after I finished the outside hull painting and when the ship sits fixed on its pedestals :point_up:

As Yamato´s airsquadron was ordered off Yamato long before their last mission the hangar was of no more use. I therefore thought I will be kept as a storage place or something like that and kept the hangar bay at a somewhat used and battered look.

Thanks for watching and Dōmo arigatō for today :grinning: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

10 Likes

Wow, you’re setting a pace.
As usual, great work from you. :+1:t2:

1 Like

@madtatt: Thank you Jörg, if its getting half as nice as your Bismarck I will be happy :grinning:
The working pace will decrease now as I returned back to work today. I work for an regional energy company and due to the precary developing gas and power situation there is a lot of work waiting for my company :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

Love the work and the weathering you have done so far Thomas. It is a great Kit to build also…Cheers mark

1 Like

Thank you Mark, actually it was mainly your Musashi build and also all these new released 3d printed extras which wettened my appettite for this Yamato build :blush: :+1:

Weekend - modelling time! I did started to paint the lower hull. I choosed Mr. Color´s #29 hull red which is a very dark redbrown color. Fujimi calls it cocoa brown within its instructions which really comes close in my opinion. Many modellers choose a too bright hull red which isn´t correct. The 1:10 scale Yamato model in the Kure Museum also show this darker hull color.

So I spraypainted the plain enamel color first and after carefully drying time I freehand sprayed squiggly lines with Gunze H58 Orange yellow to break the homogeneuous appeareance of the base color

After this I spraypainted thinned down Mr. Colors #29 hull red over the areas again to blend everything together. After this it looks like this:

I will now paint the ship´s surface color and at the very end some slimy grime green just where the grey and red colors meet :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

9 Likes

Looking good. :+1: :+1:

If I recall correctly the IJN did not paint the shafts and used brass to protect them, so the propellers and the shafts are brass color.

Thank you for your input Nikos! I am very grateful for every constructive comment as I would like to finish the model as close as the real ship later. About the shafts I was really not sure what color to paint - presumably I would have painted them in steel or crome color.
This is how Skulskis and Draminskis book is showing the screws and shafts

Tamiya also show it this way

Anyone can confirm Nikos comment?

Thank you ahead :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

2 Likes

I folded, glued and installed all the girders which are supporting the aircraft deck. All went very straightforward

In Skulksis and Draminskis book there are extra reinforcement sheets left and right of the aircraft hangar bay

I´ve created them out of thinnest Evergreen sheet

And now I´ve masked the lower ship´s hull to spraypaint the upper hull now with Kure grey

12 Likes

The Kure Museum model has the shafts in brass.

You might also want to see this thread at another forum:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4707

and this build here, despite six years old is pretty helpful
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=163104

Thanks again Nikos. Wasn´t aware to look at the Kure Museum`s Yamato :sweat_smile:

The first link I already did know and I fought myself through all of these 160 sides but the second one was new to me - very helpful with coloring the deck later :+1: :blush:

1 Like