My ultimate 1/350 Yamato - Operation Ten-gō 1945

Those 3main turrets look brilliant Thomas… You just keep making it look better and better … :+1:

1 Like

Wow, those turrets look great! I usually paint small details like the AA guns as subassemblies - are you going to paint these up assembled as they are?

2 Likes

Thank you Tim, no actually these guns are not glued at their emplacements now. They will be spraypainted and drybrushed separately before I´ll cement them at their places :blush: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

Lovely looking turrets. The detail is just staggering.

Lined up like that, it looks like a Cancan chorus at Moulin Rouge

3 Likes

KABOOM! I made it and finished all three main gun turrets this weekend :muscle:. After attaching the missing sisal bags around the metal splinter protections around the triple AA-gun platforms (forgot to tackle these before I made the finished pictures of the raw turrets last time) I spraypainted them carefully with Kure gray and highlighted some areas with a lighter shade. Miraculously just one single small railings fell off and was quickly fixed again

After painting the sisal sacks, the blastbags and applying black and brown glaze the surfaces got a veeery careful drybrush with acrylic light gray and, voila, all main guns are finished and I am very satisfied at how they look :innocent:

Now they are resting at their final destination waiting to fire their Shi-Ki AA projectiles against the expected onslaught of the US dive- and torpedobombers

I have to say these guns have an impressive size if I compare to all other guns of these few ships I have in stash :flushed:

Now its time to start the main superstructure - A lot small and fine work ahead :sweat_smile: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

18 Likes

Absolutely superb Thomas… The main turrets with all that detail are stunning.
The AA gun placements are so good, those sandbags on all of them are really nice. Brilliant detailing and the paint looks very very neat

2 Likes

Awesome, inspiring, while way beyond my range.

1 Like

Really admire this Thomas - showing the modeling world what an aircraft modeler can also do ! :joy:

1 Like

Thomas,

fantastic work, as everybody says, and satisfied - very satisfied indeed - you can be with your work! The big guns look absolutely splendid, and awesome in place on the ship!

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

TOP NOTCH WORK!!!..I am in awe!
Cheers,

1 Like

I must apologize, I was drooling so much I forgot to drop my hearts AT EVERY PHOTO!

1 Like

Thank you all again for your positive comments, This is what it keeps the mood high during the build :innocent: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

I started the main superstructure. There are just small steps as I have to think about how and which components / subassemblies to start with. I included the first 3d printed parts again here: The lower parts of the four Type 94 gu directors and 6 antenna wire connectin tubes in front of the armored bridge. The later ones are miniscule but a great improvement over the kit´s ones which resembled just bare blobs

I sanded the lower supports of the walkway to the funnel thinner and drilled the necessary holes inside and glued some thin evergreen sheets at the edges on to resemble the t-shape like the real one. Looks rough now but these parts are really small and it will look better under color later

All the railings were added and this subassembly part is prepared to get painted later

Thats it for today :blush: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

10 Likes

Just more amazing work Thomas!
Looks really cool already!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

I really don’t know how you guys do that PE work … The railings and that ladder just look brilliant Thomas… It’s just another great update on top of all the rest … Great work :+1:

2 Likes

Wow! just amazing.

1 Like

Continued with the funnel section. Here comes, in my eyes to one of the main attractions of the ship: The 3d printed upper part of the funnel itself with all of its small railings and ladders and pipes. Its from BLUE FATTIE MODELS and its a real gem and surely worth its money as these details are barely doable by hand without breaking off some details a hundred times or so…

The lower part of the funnel and the platforms around for the searchlights were used from the kit itself. No problems here again, just carfully removed the seams with superglue and sanded the areas over. These small etched railings are from KA-Model upgrade set again

And both parts glued together. Can´t wait to see it under color :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Now the welders deserved an extra ration of Sake - Kanpai! :sake: :saluting_face:

15 Likes

Wow … And and even bigger WOW !!

2 Likes

:joy: :innocent: :+1:

1 Like

This:

Mother of God - Reaction GIFs

1 Like

That upper funnel part is stunning? Amazing? I don’t find the right words…just unbelievable…

Looks absolutely great, and like you I’m looking forward to see it painted!
First class work, Thomas!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like