New AHHQ/Takom M4A3E8 in 1/16 scale…

@oldwarloke

sorry about the misunderstanding, yeah, I already ordered Andy’s version, that’s a done deal. I’m just greedy cause I want the ILK version too, LOL!

I don’t know if I will actually do this but it occurred to me that by using the AHHQ version T-66 tracks on the ILK kit it can be turned into more accurate Flat Foot Floogie by scratbuilding the add-on armor and the thread protector on the end of the barrel. Then by using the ILK T-80 tracks on Andy’s version you can make a Korean “Rice’s red devils” tank by modifying the engine deck and by custom painting the markings

The ILK kit has been released and looking at the instructions, each tracklink comprises 10 parts! And it says 79 links per side, so of the 2200+ parts listed on the box, the tracks are 1580! It does look like they also include one piece 3D printed track teeth (not mentioned in instructions but shown on the box), so that would eliminate one part… I love detail, but even this seems excessive!

@jfeenstra
Do you have one? Please post pictures if possible…

No, I don’t have one. But Hobby Search has it in stock and has posted pics of all the sprues and instructions.

Got the ILK from Hobbylink Japan this morning and doesnt look at all bad, I’m no shermaholic though I will admit but it has an extensive amount of PE detail that can be added already. Also included on the sprue is the other loaders hatch so just maybe they are doing another type if this one sells well enough.

Looks nicely moulded, definately better than Classy Hobby standard, I wont know about fit till I get round to assembling anything. Rubber main wheel tyres.

Totally empty inside though as I think Andy’s is too.

Just ordered the AHHQ one too. SWMBO is gonna kill me for Xmas LOL

Keith

ILK has now announced their second release for later this year. Looks like pretty much the same kit, but with T66 track and new decals, and without the 3D printed teeth (of course, not needed for the T66), figure, some of the PE and the turned MG barrel. And $70 less. Most likely released to complete more directly with the AHHQ’s kit.

That’s interesting, they’re adjusting the tracks and the price to compete with the AHHQ version. The ILK with the early split hatch turret and T-66 tracks will be perfect for making “flat foot floogie”. Right now their decals don’t fit the current configuration and don’t look all that great either. The add on armor plates will probably still need to be made from scratch…

Andy posted a new video showing samples of the final hull and turret with all the appropriate welds and casting numbers.

I have the ILK first release and looking at AHHQs sprue shots and Andy’s video I think it far outshines the ILK one. Vinyl tyres are a nightmare, details is sketchy in places like hatch interiors and fit varies from overtight to sloppy in places, It can build into a nice kit but the tyres are a massive let down the vinyl is unworkable and it has 4 stubs around the outside of the tyre right where you dont want them, plus on mine the tyres bulge at one f those points, Theres some typically Trumpeter fit issues and sketchy detail in some parts but really nicely done in others.

The second release has the oval loaders hatch I believe not the split hatch like this version.
So its another mix n match LOL
On a good note there are a lot of unused parts which point to an earlier sherman being in the pipeline. I just hope they ditch the vinyl tyres they are a show stopper.

Keith

@kornbeef
Thanks for that post!

Thank you, I’m still considering getting one. I missed the pre-order window with HLJ…but at least if I do get one it’ll be with my eyes wide open.

The rubber tires I knew right away when it was announced that I would not like that and it doesn’t surprise me that they’re a disappointment as I’m sure the rubber canvas cover is as well…

The AHHQ version also comes with a interior gun parts, it’s a crying shame that the turret didn’t come with both hatch configurations as an option…even the very budget friendly 1/35 zvezda kit gives you the option to go split hatch or oval…something in the price range of these larger models should give you that choice…

The vinyl mantlet cover is horrid yes, looks nothing like canvas and clearly cant be worked to improve its appearance, Just found the glacis machinegun mount leaves a big smiley hole beneath when fitted, I wondered of I’d missed a part while assembling but seems not. You have 7 periscope positions and six periscopes. Footman loops are pretty poorly represented almost non existent too. Still plodding on but awaiting AHHQs with real anticipation.

Honestly I think if anyone did go for the ILK kit they would be better choosing the later cheaper option and just replacing the MG barrels, some of the detail and hope some aftermarket wheels come out.

Andy posted a build video of the production version of the kit, it looks amazing!

4 Likes

Andy completed the M4A3E8 and now he painted it too…

1 Like

@kornbeef

Is this the second version? I remember you saying it was going to compete with Andy’s version price wise and I recall you saying that they would also have the later oval loaders hatch turret. To me this looks like they’re simply copying what Takom did on this second release. Considering that it’ll still lack interior gun details and that it’ll still have rubber tires on the wheels, for me personally, they are getting rid of the one thing that made the first release interesting, the early split hatch turret…

I’ll say this tho, the box art is much better for this release…

Yeah, it looks like they just copied the Takom approach, T-66 tracks and the later turret with oval hatch…what a bummer, the thing I most wanted from the ILK kit was the early turret, LOL.

If the track is anything like the box art, it looks way too big.
Almost like T34 Track. No thanks I,ll pass on this one.
Well maby if it,s $50 or less

I didn’t see that until you pointed it out…if the boxart is created with the same CAD used to make the molds that could definitely be an issue on that kit…

It is yes but after seeing AHHQ’s in the video’s he has released it knocks ILK’s out the park. I’ve got the other 3/4 built and am only continuing out of masochism. LOL

Keith

:smiley: This hobby can be sadistic. Looks like there will be a lot of opportunities for AM 3D print sellers like me.

2 Likes