NEWS: Border 1/35 Merkava 2D w/full interior

I have it and I’d say from my limited knowledge of Merkava it’s top notch. Compared to Tamiya’s earlier Merkava it shows how far the hobby has gone. And it’s a ton of plastic there!

The black objects are jigs for the tracks, brass chain and cables, PE, clear parts, very sharp decals, link and length tracks.

Anti slip and nicely done weld seams.
The weighted links skirting looks amazing

I’d say pick it up, I’ll certainly add this new kit to my collection.

6 Likes

I have enough IDF stuff to work on, but damn, this kit is the bomb! (pun intended). :grin:

3 Likes

sweet. Finally a full interior that comes in the box.
Shame I can’t build anymore… but I’m glad I got to see it

2 Likes

Very nice. I have the Takom 2D and it seems to be a decent model (in the box). I just ordered metal tracks for it, otherwise I’d be tempted to unload it and buy this one.

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Blimey, couldn’t say no. On pre-order. December delivery.

2 Likes

Same here. But with that weird rear door you should be able to see a lot more than usual

2 Likes

the folks that designed it did it with crew survival first. It has some flaws just like every other iron coffin, but for the most part is very good.

Personally; I’d rather seen a very early Merkava instead of the IId offered, and with the interior. The early uses a different power pack and the smaller main gun. I’m thinking of the news mags with the showing of the Merkava road marching thru Lebanon.

1 Like

This a Mk IID, it might be interesting to couple it with an ARV since the engine is removeable and the engine compartment is complete - so it lends itself to a diorama quite well.

Which IDF ARV was in-service during the Mk IIs life?

2 Likes

I think it’s stretchers that can fit there instead.

1 Like

Yes, but it looks cramped and hard to finagle the stretchers in and out.

merkava-medevac-ext

(original source is low resolution; sorry)

1 Like

There is also an option that allows the use of the rear hatch as a sniper blind, but I’m not sure that a tank crew would be particularly happy about having the stern of their tank facing the enemy with a low-armor plate in a rear hatch opening:
merkava sniper 1
merkava sniper 2

1 Like

Or could it be for close defense?

2 Likes

It’s apparently a mod in the Merkava LIC, with the Mark 3 Baz; the Mark 4 is supposed to get its own upgrade in this regard.

I’m just now getting interested in Merkava’s and don’t know much about them. Can anyone tell me about which kits are worth while and which to avoid? I would greatly appreciate it!

Bill

1 Like

Most of the recent offerings are quite nice. Your worst ones are going to be from Academy. The Mk II wasn’t too bad, but the turret appliqué armor was soft, and has the bolts in the wrong pattern. I ended up scratch building it, and that took some time. The upper rear hatch was also too short - it did not take into account the rubber dust shield over the top of it When I scratch built that area on a Mk I I had to splice two of the doors together. Academy really dropped the ball on the Mk III. The turret is noticeably misshapen, details are not correct in many aspects, and they really could/should have done a better job on the rear stowage baskets.
Speaking of Tamiya’s Mk I, it was a very nice kit for its day, and still is. You have to add lightening holes on the sprockets and idlers. And pay attention to the fit of the front corners of the hull, but all in all, a solid kit. Decades later when the Takom “hybrid” version came out, suddenly the Tamiya kit was too short. Six inches or so if I remember correctly. Funny how all the decades prior to that no one noticed. :thinking: Maybe the new kit was too long? Just a thought
Your best bet is to just do a review search for the kit you want.

2 Likes

I think Meng makes a good kit.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ stay away from Academy.
Bill

1 Like

Meng are the best i’d say. They do a few different Mks in different configurations.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Bill