NOT a tank destroyer campaign

Jump on in!

Do you get a decal for the mobile phone face ?

1 Like

Out of the box?

Or are you correcting it’s flaws? You may need more than 5 months if the latter…

6 Likes

Here we go …starter for 10 and …

The box.

And the sealed sprues …
The crew side

And gun parts

Cutting plastic now …

3 Likes

Gun and shield done

Just need to connect them now.

4 Likes

So whats the betting over/under for times asked what if?

Peter, I am going strictly out of the box. “Look right” will have to do :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No decals (typically of MB) and according to the back box instructions, no phone either. Kinda silly they don’t but they have other issues to get picky about that.

2 Likes

Pity but workable :+1:

And the Trail base is now done as well.

Should finish the build tomorrow night after work :+1:

Edit, thought I might as well put the shield on.

4 Likes

… and there absolutely no problem with that. Enjoy. :beers:

2 Likes

Build complete… Primer next

4 Likes

Okay, my wife was away, so I had an evening and a day to myself… and got carried away with this one. I forgot to take in progress pics apart from this one:

Pretty much assembled now. Dry fit:

and the bits on sticks:

The breakdown down for the 7.62mm ammo cans is terrible. A square slab has to be fit on the end and the gap is huge as the chamfer they have moulded so they can be released from the mould is way steep. Everyone a putty fest. The backs of the seats also have a large gap around the filler plate needing filler.

Then there is the spare Milan round container. Two halves but the join is poor. Again the sides are bevelled meaning there is a dip along the seam. Lots of filler and sanding get the sides flat and perpendicular to the other sides.

The kit sprue for the rear tailgate basket has some foam wrapped around it to protect the part. All it did on mine was pull it sideways and down in one corner so it was badly warped. A bit of heat got it most of the way true, but straight down you can see it is still canted one way… oh well, battle damage.

@Johnnych01 John, when you get to yours, fill the void at the back of the steering wheel as it will be seen.

I need to find some good pics of the Gimpy ammo can holder. Somehow I don’t think Horror Bosses idea of it floating in mid-air, held on only by the ammo belt, is correct.

I decided to close up the Milan optic covers as the main lens has a hole in the back which makes the lens look like it has an air bubble.

You will also note some styrene rod in the seat frames. HB made all these half section that you need to join in the centre. Clearly designed by someone that does not build models. Far easier to replace the whole length than try and line up the halves.

8 Likes

That’s built up really nice Peter. Thanks for the info as well …I will have a good through my kit over the weekend… Looks mean with the Milan perched on top … Nice to fire from the ground, not sure from that though lol

1 Like

Yeah. At that height, it is pretty high too.

Not a lot of info on these, especially radios. The kit comes with a Clansman aerial base and no radio. At a loss where it would go in the car. Beside the rear seat is the obvious chice.

I found this interesting pic. Supposedly Op Herrick IV Afghanistan 2006. It seems to me a lash up to mount the Milan as the ring mount has the MG fitted…

The blocky thing in the rear just behind the Driver’s seat may be a radio unit… could be anything for that matter…

4 Likes

Although it has the TUAM clansman box on the wing, it wouldn’t necessarily have a 353 fitted, it can still use a smaller Inf type radio through the system, just some of the connections are different and the cables on the inside wiring. Most would have a Veh 353 fitted, and the most likely place would be like you said beside the rear seat on the LH side on the top of the wheel tunnel, towards the front seats.
The pic looks like either a Para mobile team, or possibly Pathfinder’s… If its Pathfinder’s, they would have their own specific manpack radios and SatComs hence the small antenna instead of a normal veh fit out …

1 Like

is that pink? leftover kit from the LRDG?

Quick check and I have edited my post above. It’s either 25% a Para Regt mobile team or 75 % Pathfinder’s on Herrick, probably is Hrk IV

I am going heavy with Pathfinder’s…
Didn’t notice the Para Regt helmet before on the bonnet of Petbats initial pic above

1 Like

Ha, ha. Maybe they have 'Delusions of Grandeur!". Yes I noticed the pinkish shade, quite noticeable compared to the tan wheel rims.

Thanks for the info John. Nice to know.

1 Like

If they are Pathfinders … they are allowed a bit of Grandeur … :grin:

2 Likes

I finally checked the rear basket …

I think I got off a bit more lightly than you Peter…

I looked at those AA sets for the WMIKs … Nice but just could never justify spending up to double on an upgrade kit for a kit that cost 26 quid… I did think about a wheel set so I could have 2 spares on my what if one I do soon…

2 Likes