Operation "Epsom" details

Thanks man, once again it works out great!
J

Great to see this all finished up. I was interested to see what he’d be carrying with the jerkin- all the kit works well together for that loaded down look.

Thanks Karl, I’m happyyou liked it man,
J

Just catching up with your amazing work Jerry, it’s truly outstanding and inspiring…simply brilliant, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:.

Thank you Sir!! Appreciate the kind remarks,
J

Hill 112-Normandy-29June’44
Knocked out Churchill from the 9RTR ransacked for intelligence and also comfort items by the occupying Hohenstaufen troops.

11 Likes

Jerry, that looks truly amazing, a feeling of desolation has crept up when I saw it. So lifelike it’s really tells the story.

The scene tells the story well Jerry- it reminds me of some of the pictures emerging from the Ukraine conflict where, presumably, similar things have occurred to tanks left behind.

Beautiful thought process going on with the small but essential details that make for a very , very real canvass .
Love it JR !!!

I took the easy way out and used a preset from the app. Literally two clicks.

6 Likes

Jerry, you have excelled yourself! These images are just so real and compare well with genuine period photos. Most people don’t realise just how much paper there is lying around on battlefields; paybooks, photos, magazines and newspapers. Hemmingway commented in, I think, “A Farewell to Arms” about it, even saying that the positions of the dead were dependant on where the pockets were in the uniforms. He commented that the Austrian dead were mainly lying on their fronts, as the pockets were in the rear of the trousers so they had been turned over by the other side rummaging for information or just idle interest.

Thanks buddy. Good description. Being a former crew member of an APC at one point I would also add “violated” to the description.
J

yep,some things never change.
J

Thank you good Sir!
J

Outstanding once again buddy! Thanks,
J

Yep! When I was a kid and first began to read WWII histories I saw the captions that said stuff like that was “robbing the dead”. But only when it showed Allied casualties. Later when I joined the army our classes on POW processing told me the real deal. So I also made sure I added paper items along with cloth stuff. Thanks buddy!
J

This vignette is supposed to try to get the feel of what the top of hill 112 looked like on the 29th of June after numerous arty and nebelwerfer stonks arrived.
A arty observation team has set up by an abandoned tank that has been thoroughly searched with a dead crew member unceremoniously dumped in a shellhole and given a thin covering of dirt. The weather was quite hot at that time.

12 Likes

Wow Jerry, wow; this really puts flesh on the bones as it were re my uncle (the 9th SS one) who, being in one of the Artillery battalions of the Division, would, conceivably have been reacting to these guys in the OP. Brilliant.

1 Like

Yes the German arty was instrumental in several setbacks for the British around 112. Probably because of the static locations kept for several days. But re-supply was always an issue fore them as well. No problems with that for the Commonwealth though. Millions of shells were available.
Thank you good Sir!
J

Ok, here is my newest work. I decided to go for easier projects for a bit. Just finished last night,
J

2 Likes