Panzer Gunnery School

That is amazing. Pulling off forced perspective is a artform and you nailed it

Very cool! I like it a lot. /Erik

Please proudly display your latest dio for everyone’s viewing pleasure, and critical scrutiny. :grinning:
:grin: :canada:

That’s a very strange request, because I didn’t say that I had ever built a diorama or even a model. So I can’t understand why you suddenly ask for one out of nowhere?

But, good guess, I do build models, so here is what I’m building now;

This is the circuit board from the left wall of a Panzer III turret.
In order of distance you see: the power socket for the hand-held maintenance lamp; the power switch for the gunner’s telescope illumination: and a junction box for the wiring (which I haven’t constructed yet).
I built this with the “Rhino” program.

David

5 Likes

Excellent job on the forced perspective dio!

You don’t see these too often, and when you do, very seldom do they really pull off the intended subject. You nailed this!

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Just wondering if you are an actual model builder. There are many “armchair critics” who have never built a kit, but are ready to jump in and tell a real modeller every minute detail that he got wrong. Sometimes that might actually help the modeller to improve…and sometimes not!

2 Likes

You don’t need to build models to be knowledgeable and give good advice…

3 Likes

Or just be annoyingly and unecessarily pedantic.

Most people who seek advice, ask for it first.

2 Likes

That looks very good; you could have built the hulls though, & moved the turrets as you needed to. Spike

It sometimes easier and more effective to train on a standalone system with fixed points of reference and the firm, fixed and stable gun platform and fire at fixed dedicated targetry. Gunners and Commanders learn the basic techniques that way. It’s the way we do on a GTS then progress to a real firing point and real tank and fire a series of shoots and a CABF… Those guys would of gone straight from gun training to real time war and shooting at the enemy.

1 Like

Those things were as close as they had to the simulators of today.

1 Like

Sort of like if someone were to criticize the hell out of Dragon’s 1/35 Tiger l…whether they were asked to, or not! :thinking:

>> Most people who seek advice, ask for it first.

For example, they might say “What do you folks think?”

David

Those things work very well. In basic I trained on these:

M60 Tand Training Turret Estrella Warbird Museum ewarbirds.org

They also had a version for the driver. It didn’t go anywhere, or even really do anything, but you climbed in and learned how to operate all the drivers controls.
Ken

Well, I think he did a pretty good job! :+1:
As a matter of principal, if I can’t do any better, I don’t tear the other guy’s work apart!

We had similar systems. As Johnny mentioned for gunnery we had GTS and there was a system for drivers which involved a map/diorama and used a suspended camera. The Challenger 2 simulators are very good.
I agree with @Biggles50 we all have differing levels of experience and expertise and although I might offer suggestions on a build that I know something about (modern British armour) I don’t criticise those builds as we are all learning continuously.

He was asking for peoples’ opinions on the diorama (fixed perspective) - not the ins and outs of a cat’s arse for God’s sake.

Khouli, your first post on this thread reads a little condescending, not saying that was your intent, but certainly read that way, if it was directed at me it certainly would have got my back up. And on balance of probabilities is also incorrect so perhaps it’s time to move on.

1 Like

Not nearly as condescending as the post I was replying to - as condescending is how I tend to interpret people who end sentences with a question they know the answer to.

Oh, the irony…

Had to use CVC Helmets in the UCOFT. So headsets in this scenario is very plausible.

Mein Zwei Pfennig.

VERY COOL forced perspective! Nicely done!!

2 Likes