Phantoms 60 Campaign

It seams like there are issues with putting a phantom frame together. I’m working on the academy kit and it’s a bit of a mess underneath because they split the wing and the lower fuselage into two parts. I’m eager to see how the intakes go on the ZM kit as that’s another place in the Academy kit where it’s not really well engineered.

Upon closer inspection, there was a slight step on the starboard side of the spine insert on the Z-M F-4E. Again, could have been me. Easy enough to fix, though that did it for the very fine line of rivets on the part, but be warned to test fit and look for this if you’re building this kit (Rowan, take note).

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

NOW we’re getting somewhere:

And since I took this I’ve joined the fuselage and wings, and I have to say the fit is excellent. Some taping or clamping is needed around the nose gear well area and rear end, but it all lines up. And the wing/fuselage joint is great. So there’s that. Hopefully it’ll all dry well and I can give take some more pics tomorrow.

2 Likes

That’s looking great!

Speaking of lost rivets…

I just picked up the Trumpeter rivet maker to restore some rivets where the glue destroyed the detail. I was surprised about how easy it was to use. I just put down a piece of Tamiya tape as a guide and ran the rivet maker along the fuselage. And now I have rivets where I had wiped them out.

I’ve got a 1/72 Hasegawa F-4B with CAM decals for the early VF-84 Jolly Rogers style tail.

1 Like

I am just about finished with the non-aircraft build on my bench so I can now concentrate my attention on my Phantom build for this campaign. I am building a Hasegawa 1/72 RF-4E in JASDF markings so the first stop is the cockpit. I always thought that the Hasegawa cockpit was rather simplified so I picked up an Aries resin F-4E cockpit. I know I will have a struggle getting this fitted into the Hasegawa fuselage but I did want to have a go with it. Here’s the resin cockpit painted and ready for the necessary surgery to get it fitted. In the photos, I have not yet added the left sidewall so I can get a clear photo of the interior.

Have fun modeling!
Mike
:beer:

6 Likes

Hi again

Right - I’m set to get back underway. :slight_smile: The Cartograf decals for the F-4EJ Kai arrived today from Zoukei-Mura.

First impression - apart from the usual “Oooh” with any Cartograf decals? Wow! This is going to be a spectacular colour scheme! :slight_smile: Second impression? - be prepared to devote multiple sessions to applying the stencil decals!

All the best

Rowan

1 Like

Beautiful cockpit, Mike! Especially since this is 1/72 scale.

Looking forward to see more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice work here!

The wings are on and fit quite well:

I’ve built a Phair phew Phantoms and one area that’s always difficult is attaching the intakes to the fuselage. Z-M has done about as good a job here as possible, I think:

Of course, there’s always room for user error!

3 Likes

Looks really good Michael, I’m impressed with the detailing on the engine casing, it seems a shame it gets hidden away.

They are nice, but I’m not a fan of open panels. The kit does come with simple engine dollies, though that would leave some big ole’ holes at the back. Some day a company will do these fully detailed engines for display and also have extra burner cans and intake fans so you can do both.

1 Like

That looks really great, Michael. Whenever I come to the site, I’m hoping you will have an update on your build.

I’m not too concerned about gaps where the intakes join, but how well to the panels line up with the fuselage. I was a little disappointed on my academy kit that the panel on one intake protruded some from the fuselage. If doing it again I’d build something that I could glue each to and keep them straight, but I didn’t really realize in advance I needed that. From your photos they look pretty good but sometimes it is hard to tell from photos.

Looking good Mike

Pete

Some work on the Z-M F-4E. Wings, flaps, ailerons, and leading edge flaps are installed. You have the option to drop everything, but I couldn’t find any on the ground pictures like that, so up they go. I’ve done some more seam work and so far it’s shaping up very nicely.

3 Likes

I hope the holidays have been good for everyone. Unfortunately, my 1/72 JASDF RF-4E took a decidedly wrong turn since I last posted an update. The Aries cockpit that I posted a few weeks ago looks great but does not fit at all into the Hasegawa RF-4E fuselage. BUMMER!!! After spending a few weeks cutting and scraping the kit fuselage and the resin pit, I still can’t get it to fit without major distortions. It does not help that there is not a good way to anchor the resin cockpit after the mods I did. So it is time for me to regroup and take a few steps back. I will go ahead with this build as I really want to do this scheme. I happen to have a Hasegawa 1/72 RF-4E in a Luftwaffe boxing in my stash that I can use to replace the kit cockpit and fuselage halves that were damaged in the first attempt. Instead of the resin cockpit, I’ll use the new kit parts and dress it up with an Eduard PE set for the RF-4C version. Once installed, it should look very close to the JASDF cockpit based on photos. As the Great Pooh Bear has said “Oh Bother!”
Have fun modeling!
Mike
:beer:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, Mike. You can pull it out!

My 1/48 Zoukei Mura F-4E is just about ready for paint:

3 Likes

That’s looking really awesome. I can’t wait to see it with the paint on it.

Michael, your ZM early F-4E looks great so far! After seeing your build, I am glad that I have preordered a copy of the F-4EJ kai ZM kit. Although I prefer 1/72, I think it s time that I get a few 1/48 Phantoms on my shelf!
Have fun modeling
Mike

It’s the best Phantom kit I’ve ever built, and I think I’d include the Tamiya 1/32 kits in that statement. It’s just too bad I can’t draw a straight line. More paint on those spots, I believe.

That F-4EJ looks a real treat, you should be following Rowan’s build of it:

https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/z-m-f-4ej-kai-phantom-forever/1632