Railroad Structures Campaign

Group Build Title: [Railroad Structures]

Group Build Leader(s): [@JPTRR]

Group Build Description: [ While the fun winds down with our Inaugural Railway Campaign 1, let’s start this year’s campaign: railroad-oriented structures, civilian or military themes. Any scale and era.

• Bridges
  • Water towers and other locomotive service facilities
  • Stations and depots - Grand Central Station to a branchline flag stop
  • Lineside shacks - re-purposed worn out train cars to ornate buildings
  • Storage buildings
  • Bunk houses
  • A place for the hungry train crews to “go to beans,” i.e., a diner
  • Warehouses (check out G-man69’s scratchbuilt harbor)
  • Mines
  • Factories
  • Military staging, i.e., railroad guns, front line supply dumps, etc.
  • Logging saw mills
  • Loading/unloading ramps
  • Country stores

Just to name a few.]

Event Details: (Remember to click “Going” if you want to join the build!)
[2022-04-11T04:00:00Z2023-04-11T04:00:00Z]

Completion Award: [Expect one. Eventually.]

A Note about Awards: The following text is a reminder that in order for people participating and finishing their projects to receive a badge on their forum profile, they will need to provide their account username to the group build leader by the completion date of the build. The leader will then provide this list to the site admin who will bulk award the badges to those users who have finished the group build. If you don’t provide your username or finish the project on the timetable the leader has setup you will not be able to receive an award.[event timezone=“America/New_York” start=“2022-04-10 23:52” status=“public” end=“2022-04-11 00:00” allowedGroups=“trust_level_0”]
[/event]

2 Likes

I think I’ll start with this one.

2 Likes

I thought I had this in the stash, but I can’t find it now…

Cheers,

M

1 Like

I’m in.

1 Like

Okay, it’s been a long day, I’m losing a battle with sleep, and my eyes have strained unto blurriness. Is that a men’s room with a bank of urinals???

1 Like

Here’s what I’ve decided (photos forthcoming).

First, that model power natural gas site. S, a resin building. Third, I will do a build review and incorporate that as one of my submissions. If I can keep my free time free, I’m just going to keep going down the list. I’ve got lots of ideas and lots of good intentions and plans.

1 Like

Your eyes are holding up, it is indeed a comfort station, a Victorian modular cast-iron structure of which a surprising number survive in use:

seen here in a more Steampunk context:

Although from a different example, I believe this description also applies to the above:

Note these were often without a roof, as was a similar brick structure at my first school which was set apart from the main building and unpleasant to visit in inclement weather…
Redundant examples are much sought-after by heritage railways. They have survived better than Military Defensible Latrines, of which I’m aware of only one derelict example.

Regards,

M

1 Like

What model is this? The photo of the real life one, I like the colorings.

1 Like

This weekend I may finally have time to resume modeling, or at least doing some of my duties on Railroad Modeling. I was going to delete this photo but I decided to post it, some of the models have been kept building for this campaign. The photo is horrible because I quickly shot at through the plastic bin, there are so many kits in there that are just screaming to be built.

PLEASE IGNORE THE PICTURES AND PRICES IN THE LINK THUMBNAILS.
THERE IS SOME SORT OF GLITCH WITH THE LINK
CLICKING ON THE LINK WILL TAKE YOU TO THE INTENDED ITEM.
THE THUMBNAIL DESCRIPTION (BUT NOT BLUE TITLE) IS CORRECT
It’s this item:

If your mini-passengers require a less primitive facility, there are these:

at least it’s better than:

Cheers,

M

1 Like

Tom, you. Yeah, sometimes a boo-boo in sneaks by the webmaster.

Those Whiteside stations look great too. I have a stone station by Ratio, and there’s a another company Wren? Maybe I’ll reorganize my intended bills for this and start one of those.

1 Like

I’m not a railway modeller so there’s a lot I’m ignorant about, but I think Wren is mostly locos and rolling stock. Ratio, like Wills, is now part of the Peco group. One heads-up with Wills, they do proper kits (like the Wayside Station) but if you click on an item and it says " Wills Craftsman" it is not a ready-to-assemble kit but a selection of items from their Wills Materials Pack range and detailed instructions on how to scratch-build the structure from the enclosed plastic. This has upset several reviewers who didn’t read the small print, but by checking out the actual contents it is a way of getting materials at a substantial saving over purchasing individual packs; I haven’t calculated how much but I did buy this Engine Shed for it’s contents with no intention of building the model itself but a different industrial structure:

Regards,

M

1 Like

I don’t know whether this will really count as a start photo, but here goes…

Ignore the drawing on top with the squiggly lines through it.

The big rectangle on the bottom represents a plan for a 6’x4’ diorama of sorts. I intend to do the left 1/3rd for this build. The centerpiece of it is the structure in the middle which will be a 12"x8" signalman’s house. I have a picture of it in a book called Into Oblivion. It’s a brick structure with a metal roof, in Belarus, in 1942 at the start of Pionier-Battaillon 305s part of the march to Stalingrad. It is surrounded by a rickety fence. I’m going to have a small pad of gravel in front of it for the signalman to park his Gaz-AA on, and in back a line of track going across the top of the diagram, with a Mini-art semaphore on it. The whole diagram is 6x4’. I intend to do the left 2’x4’ of the diagram. I’m not even sure what I’ll put on the rest of the 6’x4’ scene.

I intend to tackle the building first, because I imagine I’ll have to try at it two or three times to get something nice.

1 Like

Hi Tom, Willis, not Wren. Thanks for the correction. :wave:

1 Like

Phil, I am looking forward to this.

I used to have a German color photo of a Soviet country small town station out in the middle of the steppe. Haven’t been able to find it on my PC or on line. Just looked for it again but couldn’t find it.

Hi Group,

If I did this right, the campaign starts in 6 minutes. See you there!

If I did not do it right, then I’ll get it fixed tomorrow. See you there!

Fred

I’ve done nothing on this, but plan to start, well, now…

I will start the Mini-art semaphore today also. That might be more work than I would hope…

Phil, well I haven’t started yet either. I’ve got several things I intend to but… same stuff different day. I think the semaphore will look great. If I knew that people would leave me alone and I could start having a couple of hours a day free, I’d start my armor 35 boxcar or gondola. Photo etched brass chassis and frame. I’d love to start it right now but I have a feeling it would all just get spread out and lost in all the confusion of everything else going on here.

I’m not sure anyone has started. Maybe it would make sense to reset the end date to later for folks?

Also, I thought we had a combat rail campaign in the works, but now I can’t find it. I would be happy to start a thread for a proposed campaign in this area but don’t want to duplicate something that might exist but that I can’t find?

1 Like