Railroad Structures

[/event]" status=“public” name=“Railroad Structures” end=“2023-04-15 04:00” allowedGroups=“trust_level_0”]

Railroad Structures Campaign

Railroad-oriented structures, civilian or military themes. Any scale/country/era.

Bridges
Water towers and other locomotive service facilities
Stations and depots - Grand Central Station to a branchline flag stop
Lineside shacks - re-purposed worn out train cars to ornate buildings
Storage buildings
Bunk houses
A place for the hungry train crews to “go to beans,” i.e., a diner
Warehouses (check out G-man69’s scratchbuilt harbor)
Mines
Factories
Military staging, i.e., railroad guns, front line supply dumps, etc.
Logging saw mills
Loading/unloading ramps
Country stores

Just to name a few.

1 Like

For my first model:

For my next model: Rusty Rail Stone Building

Several more are tempting me. More on those later.

2 Likes

Sweet! Here is my plan:

Ignore the stuff with the scribbles on top. The bottom represents a 6’x4’ surface. For this campaign, I intend to do the left 1/3rd of it which will include a signalman’s house, a semaphore (by miniart), and some track across the top. Maybe some other bits along the way.

Phil, Randy, welcome!

1 Like

Years ago my wife was at a garage sale and found all of these and bought them for me. Never did anything with them and then along came your campaign. So, I am sure I will build something out of this lot. Pretty sure it will be the “Floyd’s Barber Shop” kit.

Thank you for the campaign Fred. I will do my best to finish this one. :slight_smile:

Randy

Hi all,

Not strictly a railroad structure, but I did ask Fred’s permission to post, it’s intended for a 1/72nd scale diorama I’m working on, but thought it might be of interest as it could easily sit on a model railway layout.

It’s intended to represent a packhorse bridge, these are relatively common in the UK and Europe, typically stone built, but too narrow for vehicular traffic.

It started out as a rough cardboard shell which was then coated with airdrying clay (DAS), this was then scribed with a stonework pattern.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

7 Likes

Nicely done! I need to learn about this air-drying clay.

1 Like

G, superb, and incredible! You did all that and I haven’t even opened the box of my Gas Works. Last night I had about four hours to play, but wifey I was feeling particularly bad, so I kept her company while she watched TV shows that I try not to be in town for. I also suffered from “canine paralysis”. (That’s when your dog is sleeping on your lap and you don’t want to disturb it.)

1 Like

Do we have an icon for having no bench time???

1 Like

G ~ Looks like you are combining another stone lined fording roadway right next to the bridge.

I love these in real life and now you have built at least two of them. Also your water affects are usually nothing short of marvelous!

2 Likes

Thanks to Fred, Phil and Michael for the kind feedback, much appreciated chaps, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Give the air-drying clay a go Phil, I find it useful for all kinds of things, :slightly_smiling_face:, I also intend to build a partial ruined barn in a similar method, so will let you have some images as-and-when.

You’re bang on Michael, this is my second go at a river ford, it’s how I would have liked my first attempt in 1/35th to look, but my self-imposed A4 base size limit meant a stone bridge wasn’t really possible/practicable.

Fred, it’s always good to give the wife some attention, so totally understand, :slightly_smiling_face:, and I’ve experienced “canine paralysis” too, so know what you’re referring to.

As an aside, do trees constitute ‘railroad structures’? It would be good to see how you guys produce them as I’m trying to make a willow tree, and I am struggling, :roll_eyes: :slightly_frowning_face:,

Or maybe a new topic for this forum… ‘creating 00/H0 railway flora’…just a thought, :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

Phil, after I read that I started working on making one up last night. It may look pretty crude, but I’m hoping to have it ready to go by The Weeknd.

Making a scenery that is a great idea. Let’s do so.

1 Like

G, you have done a great job with that bridge you made and the surrounding scenery too.

I have used the same clay to make a land form along a small stream. I liked using it vs using plaster due to having less mess and clean-up. As this clay air-dries, shrinkage is kept to a minimum.
I scratchbuilt a FSM Elijah Roth diorama using this (DAS Clay) along the back, lower portion, from the water wheel to the stone wall arch, as shown in my photo.

Rich

3 Likes

Rich, we’ll come back. Your Mill diorama he’s amazing to me. Great work

Welcome back Rich, and thanks for the kind words, :slightly_smiling_face:. I whole heartedly agree with you about DAS, I find it a very useful building material.

As for your mill, that is an outstanding build, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face: what is the building constructed from?

1 Like

Hi all,

When I submitted the bridge i also mentioned that I was working on a dilapidated barn for the same project, it’s not yet finished, but thought I’d take the opportunity to post a few build steps whilst I was visiting, :slightly_smiling_face:.

I need to dirty it down and add nature reclaiming it, so will post some images once it is fully completed.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

4 Likes

G-Man, I am truly blown away with your build, it looks so real. i will have to check back here often.
I love old buildings and you make this look easy, like it just formed upon your workbench… Amazing modeling.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

2 Likes

The light-colored main structure is board & batton sheeting, from Northeastern Lumber products.
The smaller barn is made from 2’ x 8’ stripwood, by the same company.
Here’s a few more pictures.

Thanks,

Rich

5 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Rich, they’re much appreciated, especially coming from a model railway buildings expert such as your goodself.

Your buildings always look amazing, the level of detail is outstanding, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like