Reloading and Shooting

Range Day with the boys today. Small Rifle/PCC/Mini Rifle match.

3 Likes

That looks like a lot of fun. I notice no one wears gloves. Whether it’s because you all are tough SOB’s, or like me, you don’t like shooting with gloves, I don’t know.

My only contribution to the thread for today, my wife’s ten shot group at 7m, with iron sights. Yes, she had two flyers. It’s her newest gun so I had not yet zeroed it. And she was not using a bench rest!

3 Likes

Gloves are for children.

Makes me wish I had something newer. .30-40 Krag shoots well but it’s hard to find ammo.

True. If Dong’s doesn’t carry it (and they don’t) nor any of the big name ammo dealers, you’ll have to make them yourself.
Hornady, Sierra and Nosler all offer suitable .30 bullets in various weights. Do you have the brass? If not it can be resized from .303 brass. And RCBS offers dies that are currently available.

Just checked with Mantiques in Florence, CO. They usually try to keep it in stock but have none at the moment. Cool gun shop if you’re ever near the Springs.

My brother has my brass and the dies since he’s got a .30-40 carbine but he’s never worked up any before. My buddy who is a hardcore reloader moved out of the country with his new wife and his notes are somewhere in storage. Factory loads come out about every 10 or so years.

I laugh with you but I disagree; I wear gloves every single time I shoot anything. My fingerprints aren’t on a single cartridge or empty casing anywhere in the world. I learned that from Steve MaGarrett, Hawaii Five-O, back in the early seventies.

Good for you :wink:

For combat shooting, the inaccuracy from wearing gloves doesn’t matter to me. Sometimes you need those tactical gloves to keep from getting burned from an explosive breech, or just to crack a skull. But I like that good interface between my finger and the trigger.
So the only time I wore gloves is in one of those instances. I’ve found from experience (artillery, handguns, etc.) if your glove can get caught on something they will, and usually at the most inopportune time, so I avoid them when I can.
Definitely for “precision” pistol shooting, no gloves for me.

1 Like

You you wear gloves when you take those cartridges out of the box or while reloading… as well as when you load your firearm?

1 Like

That’s a yes. I rarely touch my firearms with bare hands and never ammo. I wear gloves for loading, unloading, shooting and cleaning. Even just taking them out and looking at them. No fingerprints makes it that much harder to prove I did whatever it was. I use an ETS speed loader for 9mm which can be filled from the tray in the box. Any cartridge with a rim is easy enough to get out of the tray with Mechanix gloves. I’ve done this for so long, it feels weird not to use them. Check the picture above with me and the M1A

1 Like

this is why old school uses revolvers.

1 Like

Like this old girl? Shot International Bullseye with it last night. Slow fire was great. I s#ck at rapid fire, though.

3 Likes

The only one I shoot without gloves is my P365. EDC. Like I said, it feels weird, but I can still keep them on the paper.

Winchester?

1976 Colt Diamondback in .38spl

1 Like

The funny thing about being an SF guy - most people would look at you and never guess. When people ask me the difference between Rangers and SF I usually give them the short answer - we’re older, fatter, and have more relaxed ideas about grooming standards.
A guy from the Virginia chapter of the SFMC “happened to be in the neighborhood” so I invited him shooting. It’s “heartwarming” to know we old timers can still shoot.

He’s a Glock man. I like the Sig.
We were pretty evenly matched. This was mine:

So this guy next to me says, “I heard you mention you reload .38 Special. I’d interested in getting some from you.”
I said, “You better make sure I know what I’m doing first,” and shot this group with my 686.
He said, “How soon can you make me 250 rounds?”

We both shoot 1911 but he didn’t have his with him. I gave him twenty rounds of my handloaded .45 ACP HAP and he outshot me with my own gun. I “Forgot” to take photos.

5 Likes

Has anyone here cut down .38 Special brass to make their own .38 Colt short?

:dart:

1 Like

Shooting season has started and it’s time to convert the modeling workshop back into the reloading room. The spot where model pictures were taken usually has an induction case annealer (from NZ), a Giraud case trimmer and a big old cast iron press for decapping cases.

I need to make at least 100 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor using Lapua cases, FederalGold Medal Match 210M primers, H4350 propellant and Berger 153.5gr Hybrid Target projectiles.

This involves cleaning the fired cases in a tumbler, decapping them, annealing them, resizing them, running the cases through a mandrel die, trimming and chamfering the case mouth and uniforming the primer pockets. And that’s just the case preparation.

This time next Sunday I’ll be on the 1000 yard range.

Started converting the shop this morning:

I’m a third done at this point.

4 Likes