Replenishment Route

I will be cataloging the process to building the diorama for my Sdkfz. 2 model.

This is my mockup:

I am basing the diorama off of this photo:

4 Likes

I have found some random foam that I thought would work alright for the purpose of adding some elevation to the model. I am trying to get the same sort of dug-in look of the road in the photo.

5 Likes

Looking good so far .

1 Like

Thank you. This is only my second diorama, so I am still experimenting with the processes.

Dioramas/vignettes are highly subjective – meaning one person will see it as excellent while another will think it’s crap. One trick which usually lifts a so-so scene to a more interesting level is an incidental element, something additional to the main narrative. Two of your three guys seem to be looking slightly off to their left, there’s a 100 things they might be looking at depending on the overall dimensions of your base. Something as simple as a couple of graves with wooden German cross-markers, a dead horse, some debris or residue of battle, the options are only limited by your imagination.

My point being that the more successful scenes (IMHO) are ones which speak of something that happened before, as well as the present. :tumbler_glass:

6 Likes

In other words: they tell a story…
I always try to tell one in mine. That will make it more interesting to look at…

3 Likes

I was thinking of adding something else to the vignette. I already have an overturned Kettenkrad trailer and a sign to the city they’re going to in the plan. I can probably use the open space in the field for something. Once I glue down the foam and get started with the bushes and fence, I will be able to better make the story. Perhaps I could paint up some random bits from other figure sets of German soldiers, such as some gas mask canisters, etc… That way, it seems like the trailer was full of something when it was tipped over and left behind.

2 Likes

The turned over cart better serves the story if it is on the side of the road (maybe even half of it, if space doesn’t allow the whole cart), in the direction of the gaze of the soldiers.

4 Likes

I can always adjust where I place the fence. That way, there is space in the leftover grass by the road for the cart.

Or turn the whole caravan 180 degrees… gives you more space…

2 Likes

Depending on the other story details, a simple over turned trailer would have more questions about why it was abandoned. I would recommend something like a broken axle. As a tire could be replaced and reused. An axle is a little more difficult and can explain the scene imho.

3 Likes

To make them face the tree/bush line?

I’lll see what I can do, perhaps a broken tow bar (whatever the bar is called that attaches to the hitch). Maybe the scattered items are there because the trailer was overturned in a hurry or something. I can experiment with potmarks from some strafing. The diorama is still far from done, so I’m open to suggestions.

1 Like

That could be moved to the other side too. They look out of the dio right now, try and have them look into it…

2 Likes

An advancing army early is different than a retreating army later war. These are elements that can help develop the story. The title can also help frame the viewers perspective, for example Advancing towards Kursk vs Returning/Retreating from Kursk helps to paint two different pictures.

2 Likes

The title is still a work in progress, but the idea is kinda late-war and the beat-up kettenkrad is rumbling along with an old gun to resuply/reinforce a German city at the end of the war.

1 Like

I get what you are trying to convey, but the gun would never have been towed with such a grenade in place, specially since it was not attached very firmly. It would easily drop from the gun…

1 Like

shh, no one needs to know about that. They’re desperate anyway in the scene.

I’m going to second golikell, loose the Stielgranate 41. There’s no way they would be traveling with a stick bomb dangling off the end. It would be safely stowed in its steel, water-proof canister, not waiting for a bump in the road to have it fall off and detonate.

It’s a little too late to change that. The model will stay as it is. I’m not gonna be a rivet counter, and the grenade doesn’t detract from the whole thing too much.

1 Like

What about switching out the gun and trailer? The troops looking at the gun wondering if the stick bomb will detonate when walking by. Either way, your project your choice. :+1:

1 Like